All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires

Go down 
+5
redzz02
mr.modified
AllisKidD21
MightyRaze
Austin_Gore
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Austin_Gore

Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires   Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2019, 12:38 pm

i cant figure any thing out tho
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires   Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2019, 1:40 pm

Try a bike brake cable. Figure out a way to mount it and run it. Every mower is a little different
Back to top Go down
Austin_Gore
Austin_Gore

PostSubject: Re: Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires   Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2019, 1:45 pm

ok ill try
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires   Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2019, 7:49 pm

Which part are you having trouble hooking up? If you need to hook the cable to the throttle on the carb, what I usually do is use part of the stock linkage, the wire part that was originally there, and you can bend one end into a hook shape. With a bicycle cable, you can either make a loop at the end and hold the cable into a loop with a 1/4" bolt, nut, and two flat washers. Or you can also go to home depot/lowes ect and get cable crimp ends. Look where the cable, chain and rope section is and there will be stuff there on the shelf.

Then put the loop of the cable around the hook part you made in the original wire. Be aware that when you push your throttle wide open, you don't want it going too far and bending the throttle plate in the carb. Sometimes I put a medium pressure spring in between the cable and carb. Also you'll need a good return spring. One that's heavy enough to pull the throttle closed with the cable hooked up.

Here's how I did mine originally. You can see the return spring on the left and the "safety spring" on the right. All the safety spring does is make sure you don't hit the stop on the throttle and then ruin it by pulling farther. It doesn't require exact adjustment that way and you can also be sure your at 100% throttle when you open it up. (EDIT: sorry, looks like I didn't have my usual safety spring in this pic, but anyway same difference to hook it up)
Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires - Page 3 IMG_5235_zpstn3mqg5q

When you never tried doing this stuff before, sometimes it's confusing to figure out. I think the best way is to look at pictures and see how other people did it. Then you can either copy they're setup or make changes to suit your own needs.

For the foot throttle I just used a bicycle brake handle as many people do and I welded a pipe to mount it to my running board. Little hard to see in this pic because of the mud. You can buy a bicycle cable repair kit with lots of different length cables too. I got a set at walmart before.
Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires - Page 3 Img_5225
Back to top Go down
Austin_Gore
Austin_Gore

PostSubject: Re: Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires   Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2019, 8:20 am

my mower has a gas petal that came on it when you buy it from the storeBest pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires - Page 3 Husqva10
Back to top Go down
Austin_Gore
Austin_Gore

PostSubject: Re: Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires   Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2019, 8:21 am

this isnt mine but you can see the gas petal
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires   Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2019, 2:02 pm

Those ones are hooked up to the hydro transmission though I think right? Not to the engine.

If yours is a hydro and has those pedals, you could probably hook it to the engine somehow though if you changed to a manual transmission. Not too easy to get more speed out of a hydro trans. If you gear them to turn faster they burn up.
Back to top Go down
Austin_Gore
Austin_Gore

PostSubject: Re: Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires   Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2019, 2:07 pm

Damn
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires   Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2019, 5:33 pm

Probably the best way to run a hydro if you don't want to take everything apart is to just keep the throttle stock and use it in the stock configuration. You can still put different tires on and change other things around. Exhaust, paint, stickers, bumpers, extra lights.

As for things like locking the rear, you probably can take the hydro apart to do that but I would imagine it would be a bit of a pain. I never took one apart so I don't know for sure. The differential must be the same kinda thing as usual though.

If you are looking to do pulley swaps and things like that, best to either swap to a gear transaxle or find another tractor. It is possible to find transaxles fairly easy sometimes, depends where you are and what's around. Maybe look on craigslist.
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires   Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 17th 2019, 9:23 am

Yeah that is definitely a hydro. You can speed them up a tiny bit with a "mild" pulley swap and not burn them up... But if you don't want to swap your hydro out for something better, bigger tires and a minor pulley swap is what I'd do. One thing's for sure though, you're not gonna get any wheel spin out of a hydro.

If you want to lock it, yes, differential is actually better than any MST or Spicer I've seen.

Now if you gonna look for a new transaxle, I'd try the scrap yard... Gotta be there at just the right time though.
Back to top Go down
Austin_Gore
Austin_Gore

PostSubject: Re: Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires   Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 17th 2019, 9:59 am

I get some decent spin out of it now i just want it to be where i can drift in the grass do donuts a race
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires   Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2019, 9:16 pm

Yeah you won't get that out of a hydro. A geared tranny will do it though if you can get your hands on one...
Back to top Go down
Rerun
Rerun

PostSubject: Re: Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires   Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2019, 6:30 pm

Austin_Gore wrote:
best tread for road racing

Slicks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires   Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best pulley ratio to make mower spin the tires
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3