All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Making a New Steering Arm

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
WayneTrain2000
WayneTrain2000

Making a New Steering Arm Empty
PostSubject: Making a New Steering Arm   Making a New Steering Arm Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2019, 5:08 pm

Hi all,

I had a front wheel to fly off of my LT2000 today at a pretty decent speed. When this happened the spindle went straight to the ground and the tractor kept going. By the time I came to a stop, my steering arm was jabbed into the ground about 10ft behind me. It completely popped out of the ball joint ends, and I don’t want to put it back. I want to design something new and stronger that does away with those tiny ball joints. I have a welded front axle so it doesn’t pivot, if that helps at all.

Any ideas on how to fab up a new one?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
WayneTrain2000
WayneTrain2000

PostSubject: Re: Making a New Steering Arm   Making a New Steering Arm Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2019, 5:09 pm

Also, I want to make a stronger tie rod, if anyone could help me with that as well.
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts!
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
1st Place Build-Off 2019
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2019

PostSubject: Re: Making a New Steering Arm   Making a New Steering Arm Icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2019, 9:45 am

For drag link and tie rod ends, a good easy option would be heim joints, but they can be a bit pricey depending where you  get them from. Myself I've had real good luck with using steel pipe and automotive sway bar links (especially the greaseable ones) to make my own tie rod ends:

Making a New Steering Arm Post-710

Making a New Steering Arm 20181048

Usually I just weld a 3/8" nut to each end of the pipe after I measure it out and cut it to length, then cut the ends off the sway bar links leaving at least an inch left. Then weld a corresponding 3/8" bolt to both sway bar link ends and thread them into the nuts welded to the pipe. With a jam nut as well of course. The bolts are NC thread which obviously doesn't give you as fine of an adjustment, but I haven't had a problem with that.

Anyway that's my usual method, but there are a few good ways to do it. Maybe check out what heim joints are worh at your nearest hardware store, those are always a big upgrade from standard lawn tractor ball joints.

"This'll either wake you up or put you to sleep forever!"- Red Green         "Whatever you do you should do right, even if it's something wrong." - Hank Hill

- MTD Off-Road Build
      - Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
      - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road Build
       - Sears LT11 Rat Rod Build *2019 Build-Off Winner!*

Garden Tractor Collection: Allis B-110 x2, 710, 716, & 410 - Wheel Horse 655, 953 & 500 Special - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic, G10 & 1668 Diesel Swapped - Cub 106, 124 & 1000/149 Frankentractor - Ford 120, LGT 125 & 145 - White 1650 Yard Boss - Moto Mower 710-100
Back to top Go down
WayneTrain2000
WayneTrain2000

PostSubject: Re: Making a New Steering Arm   Making a New Steering Arm Icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2019, 2:26 pm

Well I actually just drilled through the socket for the ball joint setup on the steering arm, bolted it to steering and spindle with 3/8 bolts and lock nuts. Seems to be more solid than original setup, but the metal is a little thin around the bolt. We’ll see. as for tie rod, I hammered the original one straight and reinstalled. Tired of looking at the thing torn apart in the shop. I have a piece of tube for a new tie rod. But heim joints are EXPENSIVE.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Making a New Steering Arm   Making a New Steering Arm Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Making a New Steering Arm
Page 1 of 1