All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Engine types?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lugnut

engine - Engine types? Empty
PostSubject: Engine types?   engine - Engine types? Icon_minitimeApril 30th 2020, 11:30 am

Im really wondering what the difference is between engine types.

For instance... ATV vs car, vs vtwin motorcycle vs typical mower style?

Are they all pretty much interchangeable?

Like if I wanted to put a small car engine in a custom frame?
Or perhaps a 750 vtwin motorcycle engine in a mower?

Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Engine types?   engine - Engine types? Icon_minitimeApril 30th 2020, 12:08 pm

They are not at all interchangeable. It's been done, but everything has to be modified. It takes an insane amount of work. Look up CarandCameras on YouTube. Watch their videos on their 65MPH lawn mower.

If you are looking for power or something, sell that tractor and get a GT6000 with a Briggs Vanguard or a Kohler Magnum or something. Yeah they won't be cheap, but it'll save you a whole lot more time, money, and trouble.
Back to top Go down
Lugnut

PostSubject: Re: Engine types?   engine - Engine types? Icon_minitimeApril 30th 2020, 4:54 pm

Not really looking to do anything with this question.
I should probably have worded it better... Pehaps I can word it better now that im a bit baked lol.
I shouldnt have said interchangeable, more like what are the pros and cons of the different types.
For example a v twin motorcycle, vs car, vs mower motor or tactor motor.

Assuming they were modified to fit a frame... Would they all essentially do the same job, or are some types better for certain applications?

Making them actually fit isnt terribly difficult. Im a welder, fabricator, machinist.

Thanks!😊
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Engine types?   engine - Engine types? Icon_minitimeApril 30th 2020, 6:12 pm

Biggest drawbacks to using any motorcycle engine would be cooling. Also the powerband. I’ll start with cooling though. Air cooled motorcycles rely on lots of air flow from high speed. Liquid cooled bikes need a radiator and water pump, etc. mowers have their own fan and shroud so they’re self contained.

Powerband: bike engines need revved out to get much out of them. Mower engines are much more torquey at low RPM, and are much lighter than a car engine.

I’ve seen people put BBC engines in a mower, motorcycle engines, etc. the most practical engine is usually just a bigger mower engine.
Back to top Go down
Lugnut

PostSubject: Re: Engine types?   engine - Engine types? Icon_minitimeApril 30th 2020, 6:22 pm

CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:
Biggest drawbacks to using any motorcycle engine would be cooling. Also the powerband. I’ll start with cooling though. Air cooled motorcycles rely on lots of air flow from high speed. Liquid cooled bikes need a radiator and water pump, etc. mowers have their own fan and shroud so they’re self contained.

Powerband: bike engines need revved out to get much out of them. Mower engines are much more torquey at low RPM, and are much lighter than a car engine.

I’ve seen people put BBC engines in a mower, motorcycle engines, etc. the most practical engine is usually just a bigger mower engine.

Gotcha! That makes complete sense to me now. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine types?   engine - Engine types? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Engine types?
Page 1 of 1