All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

New member from Michigan

Go down 
+3
Budget_gokart
Hot Lap
murphyslaw
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

New member from Michigan - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member from Michigan   New member from Michigan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2020, 11:32 pm

Most can be shifted on the go. The GT trans don’t like it though. That would be the Sears suburban and craftsman with the roper 633, anything with a peerless 2300, all the wheel horse 8 speeds (do they have a 6 speed too?), and the cub cadet. Those are the common ones.

Generally, vertical input transaxles can shift on the go, side inputs can’t
Back to top Go down
murphyslaw
murphyslaw

PostSubject: Re: New member from Michigan   New member from Michigan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2020, 11:44 pm

That is just perfect to hear. I'm going to be getting a wheel horse b165 with a peerless 801 in it. I was thinking of either putting a pretty tough torque converter on it or changing the pulley swap ratio to pretty extreme and separating the brake and clutch to their own pedals. I'm thinking in theory it would have to start out in a lower gear and I could just shift up to a higher gear like a car. And if I try to start out in a higher gear it would stall on me.
Back to top Go down
murphyslaw
murphyslaw

PostSubject: Re: New member from Michigan   New member from Michigan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2020, 11:45 pm

I'll try this route first and if that doesn't work I can just get a torque converter and mix that into the system somehow.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: New member from Michigan   New member from Michigan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2020, 5:02 am

Extreme pulley swaps work, but too small in the rear and you get a lot of belt slip. Also your trans input bearings will not like you for it
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New member from Michigan   New member from Michigan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2020, 8:16 am

I disagree, I’ve ran 633 peerless 2300 and I have over a decade of driving wheel horse uni drive. All can be shifted at speed. It’s not that hard, push in the clutch and shift firmly it will go in no problem. Think about it. All heavy duty trucks are non syncro tranny and there are millions of them going down the road. If your having trouble shifting a garden tractor at speed it’s probably because your clutch isn’t releasing right
Back to top Go down
murphyslaw
murphyslaw

PostSubject: Re: New member from Michigan   New member from Michigan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2020, 10:37 am

I didn't realize that big trucks have non synchronized transmission. That's really interesting. I'll have to make sure when I open that case to lock the rear differential everything's real lubed up nice. I hope this is one of those differentials that takes oil and not just Grease.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: New member from Michigan   New member from Michigan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2020, 1:28 pm

Fair enough @Creepycrawler, it just takes a little more practice and a well adjusted clutch like you said
Back to top Go down
murphyslaw
murphyslaw

PostSubject: Re: New member from Michigan   New member from Michigan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2020, 3:24 pm

Perfect.
Spauldingbid.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?spaulding1/22

And here's my new project, picking it up tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New member from Michigan   New member from Michigan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2020, 3:44 pm

Link didn’t work, can you share a couple pics?
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2020 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2020 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: New member from Michigan   New member from Michigan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2020, 4:57 pm

personally when it comes to pulley swaps i stick close to a 1 to 1 ratio, my murray had 6in pulleys f&r and when i swapped over to my ford yt16 i run a 6 on back with a 5 on front, this lets me run the stock length belt, but still gives me decent speed, my brothers jd is slightly over driven with a 5 1/2 front and 5 rear, @murphyslaw i'm pretty sure the 801s are all the same internally, i just recently locked mine, they have a carrier in the diff and mine was super easy to lock, but pay attention to the spider gear shaft, it has a roll pin on one side you have to knock out with a punch in order for it to slide out, also it's not hard to convert to oil, to my knowledge the 801s all had grease, but to convert to oil you just need to run a bead of rtv around the case and be sure your brake shaft seal in good, it shouldn't have axle seals, instead it should have sealed bearings, i recommend removing the inner seal on these so oil can get in and lube them, or clean them and repack them then put the seal back in
Back to top Go down
murphyslaw
murphyslaw

PostSubject: Re: New member from Michigan   New member from Michigan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2020, 3:49 pm

@Creepycrawler
New member from Michigan - Page 2 2210

This is the only picture I have of it. Just unloaded it off the trailer today and it's in the barn.
Back to top Go down
murphyslaw
murphyslaw

PostSubject: Re: New member from Michigan   New member from Michigan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2020, 3:53 pm

@darkside0914
Thank you for the information about the peerless transmission that's going to be very useful when I get it opened up. Nervous about locking it. I see everywhere that you guys say it's easy but I watched a video of one getting locked and it looked pretty difficult. I didn't think about having the pulleys being different sizes like that affecting the belt size. That's a good point. I'll have to play around with different sizes and see what fits best.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: New member from Michigan   New member from Michigan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2020, 5:14 pm

Take a piece of rope about the right diameter belt you plan to run (1/2” or 5/8”) and route the rope how you want the belt to go. That way you can make sure the belt won’t hit anything too. Then tie the rope as tight as you can and take the tied rope to TSC or rural king, measure it, and that will get you very close to the one you need.

1/2 inch belts are cheaper and last ok, 5/8 lasts a little longer and grips slightly better but they’re more expensive and you may run into fitment issues due to the larger size. I run a half inch belt with pulleys made for a 5/8 belt. The 1/2 inch belt will ride deeper in the groove and has less chance of falling off when you hit the clutch. You’ll still likely need belt keepers on the clutch and idlers at least
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member from Michigan   New member from Michigan - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New member from Michigan
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2