All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Kohler magnum 18 no gas to carb

Go down 
+3
Nevadablue
MightyRaze
MudMachine95
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Okie743

Kohler - Kohler magnum 18 no gas to carb - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kohler magnum 18 no gas to carb   Kohler - Kohler magnum 18 no gas to carb - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2021, 3:33 pm

I would install a fuse of about 5amps in the fuel pump wire.
Also keep in mind some small engine lawn tractor head lights wire at the switch is AC voltage and only works when the ign switch is in the LIGHTS POSITION and the engine has to be running. ((just throwing some general info at you to consider)

The electric fuel pump will turn itself off when it builds up a cut-off pressure so really no need for a 2nd switch.
A pulse pump is cheaper and lots of Kohler 20-25hp come out with a pulse pump.
You can find a Briggs pulse pump or a close rather than the more expensive Kohler pulse pump.
I do run a white briggs type gas filter when I use fuel pumps, red color filter for gravity fed. (the white color Briggs is a finer filter usually)

Keep in mind if the engine gets tipped or turned on it's side and the pulse line going to a pulse pump gets oil in the line the pump will not work until you clear the pulse hose of oil.

I would try to stay in the 2 psi max pressure for a fuel pump. 4-5 is pushing the upper limit of the needle seat.

MightyRaze and Nevadablue like this post

Back to top Go down
MudMachine95

PostSubject: Re: Kohler magnum 18 no gas to carb   Kohler - Kohler magnum 18 no gas to carb - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2021, 6:38 pm

I ran the positive wire into the red wire coming from lights and grounded it to the frame and it worked good. I ran a fuse holder in it. I don’t know that this pump will shut off because it was a cheapie from Amazon. Runs 2.5-4 PSI it says. No leaks or flooding and the mower runs better than ever.

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Kohler magnum 18 no gas to carb   Kohler - Kohler magnum 18 no gas to carb - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2021, 7:07 pm

Sometime you just got to try something…learn and figure it out. Sounds like you’re headed the right way.

Kohler - Kohler magnum 18 no gas to carb - Page 2 Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Kohler - Kohler magnum 18 no gas to carb - Page 2 Sig214Kohler - Kohler magnum 18 no gas to carb - Page 2 Sig314
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Kohler magnum 18 no gas to carb   Kohler - Kohler magnum 18 no gas to carb - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2021, 10:28 pm

The reason the positive shut off switch AND a shut off valve in the fuel line are used is that without those, a failure in anything like a fuel hose or carb valve can pump the gas into the engine at any time. Not a good thing and the switch and valve insure that can’t happen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kohler magnum 18 no gas to carb   Kohler - Kohler magnum 18 no gas to carb - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kohler magnum 18 no gas to carb
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2