All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

No bead breaker? No problem!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

No bead breaker? No problem! Empty
PostSubject: No bead breaker? No problem!   No bead breaker? No problem! Icon_minitimeOctober 12th 2021, 8:12 am

Came up with this little gem changing tires on my rig the other day.

This idea only works for narrow-ish tires, so for our purposes this works best for steer tires. What you do is chuck the tire into a large vice between two thin pieces of timber (plywood specifically, but this is only necessary if you want to keep the tires nice) and gradually close the vice. Turn the tire 180 degrees and repeat.

To sum it all up with a Mission: Impossible quote, “Everyone has pressure points. You simply find them and squeeze.”

MightyRaze and Brianator like this post

Back to top Go down
Nicks backyardprojects

PostSubject: Re: No bead breaker? No problem!   No bead breaker? No problem! Icon_minitimeOctober 12th 2021, 1:39 pm

last few tires i did i used a shop press,man was it slow but it did the job

Rustbucket Garage likes this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: No bead breaker? No problem!   No bead breaker? No problem! Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2021, 12:11 am

I use my HI Lift jack (and tire spoons/penetrating oil when they're stubborn), works like a charm but put some time aside!

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~

MN mudder likes this post

Back to top Go down
MN mudder
MN mudder

2022 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: No bead breaker? No problem!   No bead breaker? No problem! Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2021, 9:23 am

I and my dad used to use a hi-lift on tires until the jack decided to become a spring and eject while we were getting a tire off a rim. the lift point on the jack slipped off the drawbar of the Farmall h we own and it went back towards us luckily I got out the way in time and I am here to tell the story!

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: No bead breaker? No problem!   No bead breaker? No problem! Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2021, 6:03 pm

That's scary! I take it you were pushing the base down on the tire like you would for a car/truck tire? For ATV and lawn tractor tires I actually use mine like a clamp. I bolt the base down, the lower "jaw" has a upwards lip that will rest on the edge of the rim to hold it, I then lower the top "jaw" so I can use a block of wood against it and push on the tire close to the bead (curved piece of firewood woods great). I'll never claim it's not tricky but it's worked even on really stubborn tires it's just time consuming. I've done the bench vise thing and it worked excellent for my Honda Z50

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~
Back to top Go down
MN mudder
MN mudder

2022 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: No bead breaker? No problem!   No bead breaker? No problem! Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2021, 9:47 am

yes we were using it on a truck tire it lifted the h up and the lift point on the jack slipped off I did not have the base bolted down mostly because we were working in a dirt floor barn after that incident I invested in a harbor freight bead breaker picked it for 10 bucks at the le suer pioneer power swap meet. it doesn't like big car/truck tires very much but 4 wheeler and lawn tractor tires are a breeze.

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No bead breaker? No problem!   No bead breaker? No problem! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No bead breaker? No problem!
Page 1 of 1