All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Lawn Chief racing mower build.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Clapped Out Ben
Clapped Out Ben

Lawn Chief racing mower build. Empty
PostSubject: Lawn Chief racing mower build.   Lawn Chief racing mower build. Icon_minitimeOctober 13th 2022, 12:38 pm

Need to build something for an engineering project, I already have a killer off road mower that has done pretty much everything from the dunes, to cruise nights and drag races. I have a few other mowers yet to be built and it is time to build one of them into a racer. This mower will not be used in actual races, as there are none around where I live. It will mostly just be used to race around on, so there are no rules that I will need to follow. I’m planning on converting it to a live rear axle with a 700 transmission. I plan on lowering it a couple inches and lowering the front end also. I will be going to get a 17hp opposed twin this weekend for the engine on this. My other mower has a 17.5 tecumseh I built that has a ported and polished head with heavier springs, a custom cam, dirt bike carb, and makes a lot of high end power but not much low end. This is why I’m thinking of going with the opposed twin and keeping it stock, besides an exhaust, maybe a port and polish but I do not think it is necessary. The thing I am trying to figure out currently is what size rear axle I should use/how wide. There are many kits online that come with hubs bearings and a brake, just need to find which size and which one I should go with. Any help is appreciated
Back to top Go down
Joe_the_mower_man_1320
Joe_the_mower_man_1320

PostSubject: Re: Lawn Chief racing mower build.   Lawn Chief racing mower build. Icon_minitimeOctober 13th 2022, 3:40 pm

Sounds like an interesting project, i've been thinking about building a racing mower myself
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Lawn Chief racing mower build.   Lawn Chief racing mower build. Icon_minitimeOctober 13th 2022, 7:06 pm

Sounds fun! I have a tractor I'm planning on building into a racer just for myself too as just like you, there's no racing clubs around here either! Lol.

I personally would choose a axle width based on keeping the tires tucked just inside the fender pan for safety just in case you race some friends, I've seen things happen on the stock car track and the last thing anyone needs is a tractor Dukes of Hazzarding itself onto them!

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~
Back to top Go down
Clapped Out Ben
Clapped Out Ben

PostSubject: Re: Lawn Chief racing mower build.   Lawn Chief racing mower build. Icon_minitimeOctober 20th 2022, 12:05 pm

I made my decision not to go with a kit, and just buying a keyed axle to cut to length so I can reuse the stock 3/4 wheels. I found a 700 series transmission, but it is a 3 speed and not a 5 speed. Will that effect top speed or just longer gears/ bigger gear changes? And for the axle, I think the best thing to do would be get a 1” keyed axle because parts are easy to find in that diameter and just go get the ends turned down to 3/4” to accept the wheels. The easiest thing to do would be get a 3/4” axle, but wouldn’t that bend under stress being so small?
Back to top Go down
Krawler86
Krawler86

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Lawn Chief racing mower build.   Lawn Chief racing mower build. Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2022, 11:22 pm

3/4in axles would probably be fine as long as you had adequate support. Keep as little unsupported length between the axle bearings and the centerline of the tires.

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Lawn Chief racing mower build.   Lawn Chief racing mower build. Icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2022, 1:16 am

In karting the thickness of the axle is often what determines the softness of the ride.
Although the go kart axles you see often are not really built the same
I guess 3/4 should do fine, many people run stock 3/4 shaftts

As far as the gearbox goes these aren't shift on the go so whatever you decide with your own pulleys and sprockets is more important.
I sound like a broken record but I am actually a huge proponent of using a cvt.

Especially if it's a racer and you keep the engine stock a cvt will get the most out of it.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lawn Chief racing mower build.   Lawn Chief racing mower build. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lawn Chief racing mower build.
Page 1 of 1