All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

governor on tecumseh 12hp

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
akcender
akcender

governor on tecumseh 12hp Empty
PostSubject: governor on tecumseh 12hp   governor on tecumseh 12hp Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 11:51 pm

is the governor really necessary, if i want to remove it do i need to open up the engine and take it out or can i just leave the governor arm alone and just go straight to the carb
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: governor on tecumseh 12hp   governor on tecumseh 12hp Icon_minitimeDecember 10th 2011, 12:01 am

I wouldnt bypass the governor especially on an old sloppy motor. its a good way to scrap a motor. flywheels can come apart. A guy on another site had one blow up and got shrapnel in his leg. the main jet may need to be resized to get the right mix at the higher top end. running lean can cause excessive ring wear and burn a hole in the piston. the higher rpm is harder on sloppy pistons and could bust off the skirt. if the chunks get into the timing gear, the motor will stop instantly
Back to top Go down
gilsonrumbler
gilsonrumbler

PostSubject: Re: governor on tecumseh 12hp   governor on tecumseh 12hp Icon_minitimeDecember 10th 2011, 12:42 am

bad idea... if your gunna remove the governor at least do it right... Remove the weights by pulling the pins on the oil slinger gear but remember to re install the gear because the engine NEEDS it since its splash lubrication. with that being said i would leave it alone if you want speed just do a pulley swap. It can get ugly really fast if the rod throws/locks or the flywheel explodes
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: governor on tecumseh 12hp   governor on tecumseh 12hp Icon_minitimeDecember 10th 2011, 7:09 am

Like the others said, don't do it. Its not all that safe and could get a little scary when you hear your engine flying apart 3ft in-front of you when the engine is doing 5000RPM. But the governor isnt necessary and you could run it without taking the parts out of the block(I wouldn't but thats because I don't like doing more work then I have to meaning rebuild or replace and engine).
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
gilsonrumbler
gilsonrumbler

PostSubject: Re: governor on tecumseh 12hp   governor on tecumseh 12hp Icon_minitimeDecember 10th 2011, 2:21 pm

actually you would need to open engine up to remove weights if you chose to not run a governor because the pins in the plastic gear holding weights can fly apart under higher rpms and make your engine go BANG
Back to top Go down
akcender
akcender

PostSubject: Re: governor on tecumseh 12hp   governor on tecumseh 12hp Icon_minitimeDecember 10th 2011, 3:52 pm

right on
Back to top Go down
McHandyMan

PostSubject: Re: governor on tecumseh 12hp   governor on tecumseh 12hp Icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2011, 6:32 pm

if you want a engine reving all out get like a b and s 21+ hp and get it souped up. sure its a lot o money but you will burn your trns axel befor you kill the engine
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: governor on tecumseh 12hp   governor on tecumseh 12hp Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

governor on tecumseh 12hp
Page 1 of 1