All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Tracked Lawn mower

Go down 
+5
dangeroustoys56
CMHN
Chunk
MSteele323
arild365
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Tracked Lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: Tracked Lawn mower   Tracked Lawn mower Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 8:45 am

ok ok it might not be a lawn mower after this is done but i think someone should do it for fun!

right my basic idea is to have two transaxle the same pulley size and link it together some how (haven't thought about the drive yet) but then get an old tractor back tyre and cut the rims out so its just the tread pattern then slide it onto the wheels, the front axle would be able to move 2 to three inches back and forward to accompany the thought of stretching and for the ability to tighten

the steering would be simple, have two bars(do away with the steering wheel) either side of the seat and then attach them to disk brakes on the axles and obviously you would have diff and then that would allow you to turn, has anyone ever tried this? is any one willing to?
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

Tracked Lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tracked Lawn mower   Tracked Lawn mower Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 10:49 am

thats a really cool idea. if i had two scrap tractors id do it. Hey fearrlessfront, dont you still have to craftsmans still? Razz
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
MSteele323

Tracked Lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tracked Lawn mower   Tracked Lawn mower Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 12:57 pm

This vid comes to mind.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/msteele323?feature=mhw5

Tracked Lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tracked Lawn mower   Tracked Lawn mower Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 2:23 pm

yeh thats where i got the main idea butg i thought its was a little stupid(no offence dude)

id rather have the whole track over the front and back rather like that...
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Tracked Lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tracked Lawn mower   Tracked Lawn mower Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 2:34 pm

That's exactly the video I thought of when you mentions it BBB. It could work. The downfall all these kind of things have is keeping the tracks on the tyres. I think you's want some kind of tensioner pushing down on top of them too!

Would be totally unstoppable though!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids

Tracked Lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tracked Lawn mower   Tracked Lawn mower Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 2:37 pm

yeah it would have to be geared really low to stop them falling off as well.
gotta GO revise Sad taking over life...
Back to top Go down
CMHN
CMHN

Tracked Lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tracked Lawn mower   Tracked Lawn mower Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 6:25 pm

Here ya go, this guy did it and I love it.
Back to top Go down
http://ctraugh.blogspot.com/

Tracked Lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tracked Lawn mower   Tracked Lawn mower Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 4:30 am

lol its a bit noisy. that guy is obviously an engineer or something.

do you think its 2 wheel drive or 4?

that looks like a real tank track... and so do all the cogs that are keeping the track on dunno though
Back to top Go down
CMHN
CMHN

Tracked Lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tracked Lawn mower   Tracked Lawn mower Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 9:54 am

There called Mattracks, you can get them for all kinds of vehicles. Tractors, trucks, ATV's you name it. He definitely knew what he was doing with that, I'm not sure if it was a kit or something he put together himself but either way, its cool in my book.
Back to top Go down
CMHN
CMHN

Tracked Lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tracked Lawn mower   Tracked Lawn mower Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 9:58 am

MSteele wrote:
This vid comes to mind.

I would consider this to be a half track, very popular during the world wars. Best of both worlds, maneuverability of a truck, traction of a tank.

Cool idea though.

I think it would be cooler to just hook that rear transmission up and have all 4 wheels operate in the back. I think that would have been a better idea then the drag of a dead axle.
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

Tracked Lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tracked Lawn mower   Tracked Lawn mower Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 10:32 am

CMHN wrote:
There called Mattracks, you can get them for all kinds of vehicles. Tractors, trucks, ATV's you name it. He definitely knew what he was doing with that, I'm not sure if it was a kit or something he put together himself but either way, its cool in my book.

On the track, There are like platic teeth witch go into the grooves of the wheels and its probably only a two wheel drive
Back to top Go down
MSteele323

Tracked Lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tracked Lawn mower   Tracked Lawn mower Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 11:06 am

This guy know his stuff, even though he builds miniature tanks you can ride in.
But one could adapt some of his ideas to a lawn-tractor though.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Gizmo4t
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/msteele323?feature=mhw5
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Tracked Lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tracked Lawn mower   Tracked Lawn mower Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 3:36 pm

I like the one video on YT ( its gone now) of some tech school that built a near stock looking JD with a 350 V8 chevy engine - had the hood n everything on all painted up nice . Had headers comming out under the footrests. That was shweeet!
Back to top Go down

Tracked Lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tracked Lawn mower   Tracked Lawn mower Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 3:38 pm

was it powerfull, how fast did it go/
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

Tracked Lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tracked Lawn mower   Tracked Lawn mower Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 6:52 pm

well i have a idea but i need another trans axle and some modding to the drive system, 4x4 no tracks but have the a trans axle on the front with the axles cut down some to put on uv joints or cvjoints , with a steering knuckle to have the uv joints and steering work. It would work but i need time, money, and 2 extra trans cause im still going to mod my mudder, hey great idea for fearless, he has 2 more mowers with 2 trans so he can do that, and i can give him some ideas, cause that will be sweet to see. i can sketch a drawling up and post it, i just have to manage to get fearless to look at it, but he hasn't really been on here or youtube in a while.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

Tracked Lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tracked Lawn mower   Tracked Lawn mower Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 7:25 pm

ok this is a very basic design done with paint but with some sketching and thinking it will work.
here is the two pictures i drew up.
[img]Tracked Lawn mower Lawnmo10[/img]

close up on front axle
[img]Tracked Lawn mower Lawnmo11[/img]

great thinking man, well thanks. lol
ok idk who else has the stuff to do it but someone needs to do it, i would but i need time, money, the parts. mostly the parts, and somewhat of the money.
Back to top Go down
Ropertractor14
Ropertractor14

Tracked Lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tracked Lawn mower   Tracked Lawn mower Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 7:58 pm

motorhead45102 wrote:
ok this is a very basic design done with paint but with some sketching and thinking it will work.
here is the two pictures i drew up.
[img]Tracked Lawn mower Lawnmo10[/img]

close up on front axle
[img]Tracked Lawn mower Lawnmo11[/img]

great thinking man, well thanks. lol
ok idk who else has the stuff to do it but someone needs to do it, i would but i need time, money, the parts. mostly the parts, and somewhat of the money.

Most of the rear steer tractors have transmissions set up like this already. The only problem is they can't turn very sharp due to the universal joints. Probably with two steering axles you could achieve a decent turning radius.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/GMCsierra1500
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Tracked Lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tracked Lawn mower   Tracked Lawn mower Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 12:37 pm

With a custom made front end with U joints you should be able to achieve normal steering!

Thinkign about it, feerless is in the best position to do this, cept it would still need a good bit of money to go into it!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids

Tracked Lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tracked Lawn mower   Tracked Lawn mower Icon_minitimeMay 19th 2010, 1:50 am

I like the idea of basicaly 2 axels in the rear so u could make like a pickup bed and that would be the coolest offroad tractor
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

Tracked Lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tracked Lawn mower   Tracked Lawn mower Icon_minitimeMay 19th 2010, 2:18 am

fearless still has 2 more craftsmans dont yah fearless. Alls you need is the time. If i had two tractors i could tear apart id do it right at this very moment.
Back to top Go down
ncredleg
ncredleg

Tracked Lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: tracked vehicle   Tracked Lawn mower Icon_minitimeMay 19th 2010, 1:12 pm

You really only need one transaxle.But your brakes on either side would need to be separated to control left/right turns.
This has been done before and would be relatively easy to undertake and has been quite successful in the past by others.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Tracked Lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tracked Lawn mower   Tracked Lawn mower Icon_minitimeMay 19th 2010, 2:28 pm

You wouldnt necessarily need the front shifter removed- and youd need to mount it in the same position as it was originally under the tractor- otherwise itd be going in reverse.

The only issue using one belt is once it breaks or slips- youll be towing or pushing it home. On the setup i came up with id use a horizontal shaft motor ( twin cylender) with the mowing deck clutch driving the front wheels to activate/deactivate the 4x4 ( shift the front trans to neutral) and another belt to drive the back trans- least you could make it home.

I planned on a wheelhorse trans in front with a hi/low - just like the stock hi/low stock trans in the rear on the GTII -so theyd be geared similar .

For a track setup- itd be most likely easier to get a zero turn setup - some guy on you tube did that and ran two hydraulic pumps up on the front wheels for a true 4x4.

The other plus on the wheelhorse trans is the 1" axles - can use a heavy duty 1" ujoint and also need to make a 'cage' to support the setup which would be bolted to the chassis.

I think i already made a thread about a 4x4 setup.....
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

Tracked Lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tracked Lawn mower   Tracked Lawn mower Icon_minitimeMay 19th 2010, 5:46 pm

Yeah, I still have two of the three, the other will be pulling lawn duty at my dads house. I kept the two with the same tranny's though. One is under the crawler.
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
Sponsored content

Tracked Lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tracked Lawn mower   Tracked Lawn mower Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tracked Lawn mower
Page 1 of 1