All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Run hoodless or fab up a new hood?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

Run hoodless or fab up a new hood? Empty
PostSubject: Run hoodless or fab up a new hood?   Run hoodless or fab up a new hood? Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2012, 9:50 pm

I'm wondering what everyone thinks of having a hood versus not having one. The 98 LT1000 I got is missing the grill/headlight assembly and the hood it's self is really thrashed. It's my understanding that the hood is necessary for cooling.

My options are to run hoodless, try to rig up the one I have, find another one, or fab one. I'm considering a steel drum cut down.

Also, how hard would it be to rig up a hood from something else to work on it?
Back to top Go down
http://buckeyejeeps.com
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Run hoodless or fab up a new hood?   Run hoodless or fab up a new hood? Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2012, 10:25 pm

i honestly dont see how not having a hood would cause over heating as id think is get more air. i look hood just for looks and to keep the engine from getting to muddy. I hade a 90 murray with a 84 grill but i decided to stop on that tractor. Wouldnt take much to make another hood work maybe some mounting tabs and welder or bolts . And how would you cut the drum? like the bottem as a grill and uncut side as a hood?
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: Run hoodless or fab up a new hood?   Run hoodless or fab up a new hood? Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2012, 10:57 pm

gearheadmike wrote:
i honestly dont see how not having a hood would cause over heating as id think is get more air. i look hood just for looks and to keep the engine from getting to muddy. I hade a 90 murray with a 84 grill but i decided to stop on that tractor. Wouldnt take much to make another hood work maybe some mounting tabs and welder or bolts . And how would you cut the drum? like the bottem as a grill and uncut side as a hood?

Lay the drum on it's side and cut it down the length. Yeah, the bottom would be the "grill" area. It'd be about 10 minutes worth of work with an angle grinder.

I saw a guy build a crawler tractor (tracked) using a ford I6 motor, and then used a drum cut down as a hood. That's where I got the idea.
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Run hoodless or fab up a new hood?   Run hoodless or fab up a new hood? Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2012, 11:26 pm

ok i thought so i think a guy did that near me tho he was building his to look like a old train lol. if you got the stuff i say go for it it be different and least then you could mount lights if you wanted to.
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: Run hoodless or fab up a new hood?   Run hoodless or fab up a new hood? Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2012, 11:42 pm

gearheadmike wrote:
ok i thought so i think a guy did that near me tho he was building his to look like a old train lol. if you got the stuff i say go for it it be different and least then you could mount lights if you wanted to.

I can get a food grade drum for $5 locally. That's one of the reason I'm considering it.
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Run hoodless or fab up a new hood?   Run hoodless or fab up a new hood? Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2012, 11:52 pm

Running without a hood won't raise the operating temp of the engine. What will affect the temp is running without all the tins on the engine.

Back to top Go down
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: Run hoodless or fab up a new hood?   Run hoodless or fab up a new hood? Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2012, 9:25 pm

souldn`t bother it any because my tractor has no hood and it has never over heated
Back to top Go down
blanket80
blanket80

PostSubject: Re: Run hoodless or fab up a new hood?   Run hoodless or fab up a new hood? Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2012, 10:32 pm

The hood has nothing to do with engine temp. You may be confused with removing the flywheel shroud. If you remove the flywheel cover/shroud it will cause over heating, and may end in seized internals.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Run hoodless or fab up a new hood?   Run hoodless or fab up a new hood? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Run hoodless or fab up a new hood?
Page 1 of 1