All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Crazy Front Suspension Ideas

Go down 
+4
dked41
dangeroustoys56
redzz02
dagr8tim
8 posters
AuthorMessage
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

Crazy Front Suspension Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Crazy Front Suspension Ideas   Crazy Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2012, 10:04 pm

I've got some crazy ideas and I wanted to see if anyone has ever tried them and if they worked. I don't want to reinvent the wheel on a crappy design.

Design #1:
Pretty much your standard lift with a center pivot. Taje a piece of black pipe to use as a bearing between the front axle holes. Stock bolt could be used. Weld a length of square tubing to the pipe and weld that to the axle with some gussets. The twist comes that I was thinking of getting some practice hockey pucks and trimming them down and gluing them to the top of the axle. They would be trimmed down in such a way that they would fit into the axle pocket when one side was moved up. Using hockey pucks is common for bump stop extensions on Jeeps. Then I thought get an extra set of seat springs and mount them to the axle so that you have the bump stop, but the give and wouldn't hit as hard. Also the axle couldn't hit the bottom of the tractor.

Design #2:
Modified idea of the center pivot point. Use the shortest spring from a leaf spring pack to do like the Model A's and hot rods have with a transverse mounted leaf spring. The axle would still pivot, but the spring would prevent the axle from hitting the chassis of the tractor.
Back to top Go down
http://buckeyejeeps.com
redzz02
Site VIP
redzz02
Site VIP

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2015
1st Place Winner Build-Off 2015
1st Place Build-Off 2017
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2017
1st Place Build-Off 2018
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2018

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Front Suspension Ideas   Crazy Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2012, 6:33 pm

My buddy has leaf springs off an old sled skis and it flexes nice and he has. NO pivot point in it the springs don't max out, and my monster mower on here has a basically 3link set up with coil over shocks
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Front Suspension Ideas   Crazy Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2012, 6:52 pm

redzz02 wrote:
My buddy has leaf springs off an old sled skis and it flexes nice and he has. NO pivot point in it the springs don't max out, and my monster mower on here has a basically 3link set up with coil over shocks

I'd love to see pics of the sled skis setup & more on your coil over setup.
Back to top Go down
redzz02
Site VIP
redzz02
Site VIP

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2015
1st Place Winner Build-Off 2015
1st Place Build-Off 2017
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2017
1st Place Build-Off 2018
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2018

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Front Suspension Ideas   Crazy Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2012, 9:08 pm

Both are uP camp sorry man I might be going up this weekend coming up and I'll take some pics
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Front Suspension Ideas   Crazy Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2012, 11:36 am

Check out Fearlessfront's thread - he built a craftsman crawler using the modified front axle pivot, and ordinary rear hatch door gas struts.

The problem without some sort of dampener , would be the front axle would react too fast- snap back and forth - with a dampener, it smoothly flows over terrain.
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Front Suspension Ideas   Crazy Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2012, 11:43 am

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Check out Fearlessfront's thread - he built a craftsman crawler using the modified front axle pivot, and ordinary rear hatch door gas struts.

The problem without some sort of dampener , would be the front axle would react too fast- snap back and forth - with a dampener, it smoothly flows over terrain.

I've watched his suspension video's several times each. My suspension idea would incorporate a set of hatch struts like he did. I'm just thinking of improving the design. Just like a car has a strut/shock and a spring.
Back to top Go down
dked41
dked41

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Front Suspension Ideas   Crazy Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2012, 11:09 am

dagr8tim wrote:
dangeroustoys56 wrote:

I've watched his suspension video's several times each. My suspension idea would incorporate a set of hatch struts like he did. I'm just thinking of improving the design. Just like a car has a strut/shock and a spring.
Northern has small coil overs in the mini bike parts, around $30 pair.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Front Suspension Ideas   Crazy Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2012, 3:43 am

Or if you can get a couple cheep/free mountain bikes with coil over shocks - that would work also.
Back to top Go down
FOSWMT
FOSWMT

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Front Suspension Ideas   Crazy Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitimeSeptember 29th 2013, 5:18 am

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Or if you can get a couple cheep/free mountain bikes with coil over shocks - that would work also.
I have been looking at the thread using Coil springs from mountain bikes. Most of the set ups dont run with existing gear as they have already been modified . I am guessing this means if I was going to fit springs I would need a different muffler as this location where the spring would go is taken up by this. The distance throw on these mountain bike springs is typically 14.5mm in its full extent. Does anyone know what the displacement of the beam is up and down on a MTD?
Back to top Go down
http://www.friendsofspeckledwood.org.uk
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Front Suspension Ideas   Crazy Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitimeSeptember 29th 2013, 11:04 am

Off hand, no- but you can easily measure yours. Do keep in mind that the total travel of the axle beam as measured at the spindles is unimportant. Where you need to measure, is where the spring would go, just outboard of the frame. Actual wheel travel will be greater than the travel measured at this point. Leverage.

If you have to modify your exhaust, so be it. The vast majority of our mods in this hobby, are not bolt-ons by nature. We have to exercise our creativity to varying extents in order to make these things happen. It's very much like a puzzle. One piece very much affects the the next, and sometimes several. The trick is to make them all work together.

There's not much you can do to your tractor that does not have at least a minute effect on some other component or system.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Front Suspension Ideas   Crazy Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitimeSeptember 29th 2013, 11:15 am

FOSWMT wrote:
dangeroustoys56 wrote:
I have been looking at the thread using Coil springs from mountain bikes. Most of the set ups dont run with existing gear as they have already been modified . I am guessing this means if I was going to fit springs I would need a different muffler as this location where the spring would go is taken up by this. The distance throw on these mountain bike springs is typically 14.5mm in its full extent. Does anyone know what the displacement of the beam is up and down on a MTD?
MTD's are one of the more flexible tractors out there when the pivot is functional. If by mountain bike springs you mean this: Crazy Front Suspension Ideas Desc_312025302_00

then the travel would actually be too short, unless you mounted very close to the centerline. That obviously would minimize their effect.

on the other hand something like these adjustable motorcycle shocks Crazy Front Suspension Ideas Hagon-Shocks(you can find them on any road bike usually) you can mount them farther out on the tubes making them far more effective.
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Front Suspension Ideas   Crazy Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2014, 11:17 pm

Mountin bike springs are hard. I know you wouldent think so but they are. I put two on my murray bothe where same shocks where 750 pounds each thats 1500 pounds even placed them on an angle to get a lever action no good stiff as board. So far as now im running front shocks off of small china atv. Works pritty good.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Front Suspension Ideas   Crazy Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2014, 11:29 pm

I was thinking if you had two tractors with the same front axle setup, you could cut both of them in half on on side of the center pivot. The cuts would be on opposite sides of the pivot obviously. Then weld it up so that you have two seprate axles with their own joint. You would probably need some radius rods from the axles back to the frame to keep the axles from folding back. Then all you need is whatever type of spring arangement you want to hold the weight of the tractor and you have independent front suspension.
Back to top Go down
FOSWMT
FOSWMT

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Front Suspension Ideas   Crazy Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitimeApril 8th 2014, 7:58 am

mr.modified wrote:
I was thinking if you had two tractors with the same front axle setup, you could cut both of them in half on on side of the center pivot. The cuts would be on opposite sides of the pivot obviously. Then weld it up so that you have two seprate axles with their own joint. You would probably need some radius rods from the axles back to the frame to keep the axles from folding back. Then all you need is whatever type of spring arangement you want to hold the weight of the tractor and you have independent front suspension.

Sounds an interesting idea . I presume you are talking about creating some independent suspension from this idea. You would need a longer mounting bolt and have to figure out how to alter the steering mechanism as it will also need to float and not be fixed as it is as standard. You also would benefit from some stops so that your suspension can only go down so far so that it is stable a wish bone may also be needed or tie. I would like to see how this idea pans out.
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Front Suspension Ideas   Crazy Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2014, 11:19 pm

I dont understand how you can tecnickly call a lawntracter with the pivit still in place with struts or springs on it suspintion. Looks to me like all this does is stop the mower from rolling in a turn kinda like a sway bar. The idea of two seperit axels is a suspintion indepindent. Removing the pivit would require much more work. And be a true suspintion.
Back to top Go down
FOSWMT
FOSWMT

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Front Suspension Ideas   Crazy Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2014, 4:49 am

Corn I agree I bought some cheap ATV bits to look at and they are not as strong as the stock gear . I have upgrade presently to Countax X so have hubs on my axel which is all with bearings. I still have ATV front but am going to think about it as a winter project maybe.

I temporary mounted my X axles and the distance looks not bad. I think the axles bent from the Countax help

Crazy Front Suspension Ideas Dscn3811

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Front Suspension Ideas   Crazy Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crazy Front Suspension Ideas
Page 1 of 1