All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

What do you think is the most popular Tractor?

Go down 
+2
Junkstarbuilds
W1ldyOvvnZ
6 posters
AuthorMessage
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Empty
PostSubject: What do you think is the most popular Tractor?   What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2012, 9:46 pm

What do you think is the most Popular Lawn Tractor for Modding(Lifting, Lowering, etc.)? I was also thinking something that is fairly easy to mod too, I am trying to get friends into it and they always ask what type is best to use.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator

PostSubject: Truly being serious here   What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2012, 9:26 am

The free ones! cheers
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What do you think is the most popular Tractor?   What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2012, 10:28 am

I started out with the free/cheap ones. Over the years, I've figured out what works for our machines, and use craftsman's from the 80's, early 90s? 10-12 horsepower, silver, manual transaxle, about 36 in cut decks. They have a stout frame, and decent steering box, mount for front axle is good, lots of room, and clutch is on the correct side. Paid 60 for one, complete, and got two others for free, mowed with one, other was missing engine.

Here's a pic

What do you think is the most popular Tractor? 8257

Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: What do you think is the most popular Tractor?   What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2012, 10:43 am

All brands are buildable for a beating, but I prefer anything that falls under MTD. Parts are cheap and available and everything is really interchangable.
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator

PostSubject: I too am fond of..   What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2012, 11:20 am

I too am fond of MTD chassis, but they have drawbacks too. I still havent seen a mower with the "perfect" set up. The MTD have decent steering, a variety of transaxles come on them, but, thier factory clutch set up isnt so great. Then you have Craftsmans, I like the frame, I really like the clutch and transaxles, but, thier steering is about worthless.

Thats Probly why I like free mowers and lots of them, I can mix match parts. Take what I like from one and fit it on another.

The only setbacks for a person just getting into the community is unless you have a semi-decent shop with atleast some kind of welder, you are restricted to only "some" modifications, and If I may, should be somewhat restricted to attempting some modifications without a welder only because of saftey.

You want to get started? There is a shopping list of posibilities out there..The best thing you have done so far is join this forum. These guys on here are great at this stuff and will not stear you in a un-safe way or make you feel stupid.

I hope to see some pics and help you out in the future myself...If i can ofcourse
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: What do you think is the most popular Tractor?   What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2012, 4:52 pm

I know what Junkstarbuilds means by the welder thing, I remember before I had my welder I couldn't do anything with my tractors, now since I have my welder it opens alot more. Since it was my friends asking what they should buy I really wasn't worried about mods that needed a welder since I have one they can use.

What MTD's are you guys talking about, any one thats a 12hp?
I was thinking what about Craftsmans, if you have you say there steering is worthless then what are some ways to fix that?

Ive normally just went with most of your suggestions, the free ones but my friends wanted to know of something that was easy to start from.
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator

PostSubject: Parts   What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2012, 4:59 pm

I would say the reason for the bad steering on the craftsman is it is a mixture of composite and metal parts. I'll post a three minute video in a few on the stuff I've done to salvage the steering and it still eventually fails.

I posted a three min update " battery relocation" I have three mowers with the same frame (MTD) and they are decent. Only exception is what transaxle comes with that frame..I got two hydrostatics (not so great but fun to use) and a forward/neutral/reverse transaxle ( very good)

Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: What do you think is the most popular Tractor?   What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2012, 5:16 pm

I just watched your video on the battery relocation, the battery just slides in from the top? looks like it would be fun trying to get that out:P I know my Toro had a Hydrostatic and I sold that, I was thinking of putting a Peerless 700 in it since I am doing a Solid axle in the rear end with ATV tires( http://atltf.forumotion.com/t1177-lifted-toro-mudder )
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator

PostSubject: Oh yeah   What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2012, 6:12 pm

Yeah the battery slides in, I do have to remove 8 screws and such to remove the console, I have a full video on how it's set up coming..

I did post a video of the craftsman steering I don't like so, have a peek and maybe it'll answer some questions.
I personally like the idea of a pitman arm .

Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What do you think is the most popular Tractor?   What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2012, 7:02 pm

One of the reasons I like the older craftsmans is they have an all metal steering box. Newer ones have plastic parts that wear out. I also redo the bushings, and reinforce the steel steering boxes.

I would consider a welder very important.

The rear engine hahn I have was pretty easy to get fast, without welding. I've since welded quite a bit, modifications mostly to the seat and steering locations. Steering box on that benefits from some welding, but will last a while without, if you don't crash it.

Here's a pick of a stock one I have. With a 12hp engine, 4 in engine pulley, and 3 inch transmission pulley, it ran forever Frame is super stout. They are very tippy, and very wheelie prone, but fun and easy to get fast. I would highly recommend some larger tires in the front, originals are dinky 4 in rims, 6 in rims fit.

What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Picture116Medium

Here's one that I modified. It's a little different now, has a 6 speed peerless and a side shifter.

What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Picture106Medium

Last edited by Stretch44875 on October 10th 2012, 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: What do you think is the most popular Tractor?   What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2012, 7:07 pm

When you mean old how old do you mean? mid 1980's and earlier? I dont think my friends care to much about getting it really fast, I think they just want it to go 20-25km/h probably.
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What do you think is the most popular Tractor?   What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2012, 7:56 pm

On the craftsmans? I have no idea what age they are, that's just a guess. Pretty easy to identify by the style and color.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: What do you think is the most popular Tractor?   What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2012, 8:03 pm

Those are the tractors your talking about with a good steering or is it other ones?
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator

PostSubject: The old saying   What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2012, 8:10 pm

They don't mak'em like the used too!
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: What do you think is the most popular Tractor?   What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2012, 8:13 pm

Thats the same with everything, you want it like it used to be you have to do it yourself.
Back to top Go down
gardentractorguy29
gardentractorguy29

PostSubject: Re: What do you think is the most popular Tractor?   What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 17th 2012, 7:58 pm

I like the craftsman's myself, they are easy to mod, great durability. personally though, i love garden tractors for anything off road, most anything really:P i have a wheelhorse 416-8 garden tractor that i bought for $80 put a set of 6-14 superstrong ag's on it weighted of course, a 16hp cast iron briggs with a 2000lb winch on front and a 3 spd hi/lo tranny, i am all set:P heres a link to some pics of it Very Happy the right hand wheel is on backwards cause the shop messed it up, it is the right way now.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=249841
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator

PostSubject: That's some strong wheels   What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 17th 2012, 8:15 pm

I think of those as tractors not mowers. Pretty cool. My buddy wants tires like that. If you don't mind how much they cost?
Back to top Go down
gardentractorguy29
gardentractorguy29

PostSubject: Re: What do you think is the most popular Tractor?   What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2012, 6:32 am

well in my books they were pretty expensive, total, with tubes and mounted by the tire shop, 375 roughly. 136 for each tire (just the tire) tubes were 15 each. but ya you are right, the real muddin fun can really be had with the lawn tractors cause you can just lif them out yourself and go wicked fast:P i am always hauling a heavy load outta the woods plus other tasks, logging:P the tires are called superstrong all traction field and road. they get great traction, and clean out better then the carlisle tru powers because of the 23 degree tread. hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
gardentractorguy29
gardentractorguy29

PostSubject: Re: What do you think is the most popular Tractor?   What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2012, 7:27 am

although it all depends on what size you get. if he is just puting them on a lawn tractor, the most he can go is 6-12. these are cheaper , just look on m.e. millers tire site. they got a lot of stuff there.
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What do you think is the most popular Tractor?   What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2012, 7:32 am

We are running the tractor or ag style tires, on 8in rims.think they were 30 a piece.larger sizes get expensive.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: What do you think is the most popular Tractor?   What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2012, 9:03 am

I know what you mean by larger tires are more expensive, I was looking for Truck tires and the price difference between 35" tires and 37" tires are a big leap but then you go upto 38" and its not as expensive as 37's, I guess its because the 35's and 38's are alot more common.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: What do you think is the most popular Tractor?   What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 20th 2012, 6:10 am

For truck tires- might be cheeper to go the craigslist way - most people either upgrade or change their vehicle back to stock and just want the wheels gone - they could be worn some, but itd be a good starter set till newer ones can be bot.

Junkyards have rims for around $10 - 15 each.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you think is the most popular Tractor?   What do you think is the most popular Tractor? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do you think is the most popular Tractor?
Page 1 of 1