All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Verify something online using "your" mobile phone

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

Verify something online using "your" mobile phone Empty
PostSubject: Verify something online using "your" mobile phone   Verify something online using "your" mobile phone Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2013, 10:32 pm

This sort of pisses me off sometimes, you have to verify your account using your mobile phone...it sorta sucks for the people without them, what do they do? its a great way for a business to lose customers, i am trying to verify my account to buy something but i need a mobile phone so they can make sure its actually me, why did all these companies that use mobile phones for verification stop using emails? seems like a simple and easier way to do it, normally if you have internet you have a email account or you have access to making a free one, i dont have a mobile phone nor do i plan on getting one soon just because of this. When i get one it will most likely be because i am living on my own and im never home and a home phone would be useless if it always goes to the answering machine). What are your guys' opinion on this? i know some of you have a mobile phone but some dont. and sorry for sort of ranting:P i just hate when someone automatically assumes you have something, like having a facebook account, pretty much the same idea as a mobile phone.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Verify something online using "your" mobile phone   Verify something online using "your" mobile phone Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2013, 9:20 am

I understand the point of it. Dual authentication is a method a lot of companies are going to to avoid hackers. If your computer is possibly compromised, the thought is that anything sent from it is suspect. The solution is to have people access from 2 different sources. The reason they are using mobile phones it that its an easy medium to expand to as its similar to computers, and mobile phones have become so commonplace.
It still sucks.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Verify something online using "your" mobile phone   Verify something online using "your" mobile phone Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2013, 10:19 am

I know Google started the mobile authentication a year or so ago, and Craigslist has been doing it forever. Honestly I dont mind it. Its basically there because email addresses are more easily hacked than landlines or cellular phones.

Personally I would rather have cellular authentication than email, just because its easier to have my phone out than switch tabs and go to one of my 5 emails to find the damn code.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Verify something online using "your" mobile phone   Verify something online using "your" mobile phone Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2013, 10:27 pm

i just think there should be a better way of doing it, just like how i am stuck, i dont have a cell phone but i have a computer and internet. i see what you guys mean, though, i am one of three people in my entire school who don't have a cell phone(and my school has 600 students)..but what about older people like parents of kids, they might have a cell phone but all the parents i know dont text(i know thats changing).
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Verify something online using "your" mobile phone   Verify something online using "your" mobile phone Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2013, 5:37 pm

I don't have a cell phone, don't plan on getting one either. They have to have an alternative for those who choose not to have one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Verify something online using "your" mobile phone   Verify something online using "your" mobile phone Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2013, 10:29 pm

W1ldyOvvnZ wrote:
i just think there should be a better way of doing it, just like how i am stuck, i dont have a cell phone but i have a computer and internet. i see what you guys mean, though, i am one of three people in my entire school who don't have a cell phone(and my school has 600 students)..but what about older people like parents of kids, they might have a cell phone but all the parents i know dont text(i know thats changing).

A lot of times they have voice stuff where if you choose it, they use an automated machine to say your confirmation number. Then you just write it down and plug it in on your confirmation page on your PC. Usually its for the people who have landlines and dont have cell phones. Thats how I did my Craigslist back when because I was out a cell phone at the time.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Verify something online using "your" mobile phone   Verify something online using "your" mobile phone Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2013, 11:09 pm

Doug Fackler wrote:

A lot of times they have voice stuff where if you choose it, they use an automated machine to say your confirmation number. Then you just write it down and plug it in on your confirmation page on your PC. Usually its for the people who have landlines and dont have cell phones. Thats how I did my Craigslist back when because I was out a cell phone at the time.
i know they have that with some stuff, which is nice because most people have land lines, but it really gets annoying when they dont have the option for voice. i know two people i work with both dont have land lines, one has a cell phone and the other goes without either one, but they also both dont have internet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Verify something online using "your" mobile phone   Verify something online using "your" mobile phone Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Verify something online using "your" mobile phone
Page 1 of 1