All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

which welding wire is better?

Go down 
+2
Chunk
motorhead45102
6 posters
AuthorMessage
motorhead45102

which welding wire is better? Empty
PostSubject: which welding wire is better?   which welding wire is better? Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2010, 6:57 pm

I would like to get the best flux wire out there, and what size can i get or should i get, my welder accepts .030 and .035" so which size is better and why, i just want to get a better welding understanding, im actually welding quite nicely with a 120v welder, works pretty good for what i have around to work on, also i checked the wiring in the welder cause i know i forget who said its aluminum wiring, well its now copper and i know its not aluminum coated with copper color, so i got a decent welder, but i would hope that i can weld much nicer with name brand wire, rather than harbor freight wire, but with this .030 cheap wire its doing okay, couple times i started to make like a dime effect, but not very noticeable.
Also the fan and longer duty cycle is nicer because i can weld longer than the model without the fan.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: which welding wire is better?   which welding wire is better? Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2010, 7:29 am

I belive the brand I use is Clarke. I get mine from machine mart, its 0.9mm wire. I dont know what you get over there, but any brand name should be better than original stuff. The stuff I got with my welder was totally hopeless, not even my black smith friend could get a decent weld from it. I ended up just chucking it in the bin it was that bad!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
ncredleg
ncredleg

PostSubject: Re: which welding wire is better?   which welding wire is better? Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2010, 4:19 pm

motorhead45102 wrote:
I would like to get the best flux wire out there, and what size can i get or should i get, my welder accepts .030 and .035" so which size is better and why, i just want to get a better welding understanding, im actually welding quite nicely with a 120v welder, works pretty good for what i have around to work on, also i checked the wiring in the welder cause i know i forget who said its aluminum wiring, well its now copper and i know its not aluminum coated with copper color, so i got a decent welder, but i would hope that i can weld much nicer with name brand wire, rather than harbor freight wire, but with this .030 cheap wire its doing okay, couple times i started to make like a dime effect, but not very noticeable.
Also the fan and longer duty cycle is nicer because i can weld longer than the model without the fan.

It`s probably not a copper wire. Wire for welders is more than likely just steel, especially a flux-cored wire. The copper color is most likely from a coating to prevent rust in transit and on the job.I use wire from Miller , you can buy it at any LOWES or Home Depot . Do you have Farm and Fleet or TSC where you are at? They carry wire for welders.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: which welding wire is better?   which welding wire is better? Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2010, 6:07 pm

well what i meant for the copper coating on the wire is the transformer inside the welder, sorry for not specifying, i said that because someone said the transformer and circuitry of the welder was aluminum. but the weld wire its self is silver color, but tsc isn't close by, but i know homedepot and lowes are just 10 min. down the road.
Back to top Go down
ncredleg
ncredleg

PostSubject: Re: which welding wire is better?   which welding wire is better? Icon_minitimeJune 18th 2010, 12:15 pm

My fault, I misunderstood what you were saying.While you are there ,if you don`t have any of the tip gel , pick some up .It will help your tips last longer by not letting slag build up on them and will help you control placement of the arc better.As you are working , dip the tip of your handpiece in it . It won`t contaminate your welds.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: which welding wire is better?   which welding wire is better? Icon_minitimeJune 18th 2010, 4:30 pm

also my uncle bought this one stuff anti-spatter spray, have you ever heard of that, and would it help the spatter from using flux?
Back to top Go down
ncredleg
ncredleg

PostSubject: Re: which welding wire is better?   which welding wire is better? Icon_minitimeJune 18th 2010, 9:57 pm

motorhead45102 wrote:
also my uncle bought this one stuff anti-spatter spray, have you ever heard of that, and would it help the spatter from using flux?
Everything I have read on it says that it works .Spray it on the material to be welded , but you will still need the tip gel to protect your welder.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: which welding wire is better?   which welding wire is better? Icon_minitimeJune 18th 2010, 11:10 pm

yeah i was going to get that as well, i wanted to get it when i got the welder but i didn't have enough money on me, i want to get the tip stuff, the spray, good wire, and a auto dark helmet, because the hand held on sucks REALLY REALLY BAD, I CAN'T hardly weld right using that thing, so my welds are ok but they can be better if i could have more control over the weld gun and be able to control how the puddle is forming. so right now my welds are good for a little bit and then turn to bird sht, its just i have to be comfortable when im welding if something is bugging me, then i can't weld right at all, but the welder itself does fine, but i think im going to have to have its own circuit cause with the extension cord, idk if its happening but i don't think im getting the full potential of the welder, so im going to run 12/3 wire to a dedicated breaker just slightly bigger than what the current draw is, which it draws a peak of 24 amps and i want to have good power, cause 120v welders work really good, as long as you know how to use them and how their set up, i know a lot of people use these 120v welders like they are some 220 shop welder. but the 220 welder has more voltage range but my 120v welder has the mid range of a 220, but the 220 welder can run with lower amps than my 120v welder. but so far i found out that min. setting works the best so far, but the max setting is for using on some heavier metal, but i think i need better wire for the max setting cause when i use it the wire just spats everywhere and doesn't do anything but waste, but i think max setting would work if i had the .035 instead of .030. also what i don't get is the welder says on the front of it .030 flux wire welder, but it came with a .035 spare tip, and it looks like the drive roller is reversible.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: which welding wire is better?   which welding wire is better? Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2010, 8:40 am

This is what I use:

which welding wire is better? 100_2928

It's about $9 for a 1 lb. roll at lowes. Best stuff I've used so far... And I've used quite a few different brands. Maybe it's because I have a Lincoln electric welder. It just seems to melt smoother. It's silver.
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
XJeric
XJeric

PostSubject: Re: which welding wire is better?   which welding wire is better? Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2012, 3:59 am

FearlessFront wrote:
This is what I use:

which welding wire is better? 100_2928

It's about $9 for a 1 lb. roll at lowes. Best stuff I've used so far... And I've used quite a few different brands. Maybe it's because I have a Lincoln electric welder. It just seems to melt smoother. It's silver.
i use the same but i buy 10lbs rolls closest place to buy wire is 40 miles away
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/EricHolmyellow53
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: which welding wire is better?   which welding wire is better? Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2012, 5:52 pm

I had bought some Gasless Fluxcore a while ago(When I used to use Chinese welders) and I always bought what Fearless Bought. But since I've went over to Gas I've never bought gasless Fluxcore wire since.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: which welding wire is better?   which welding wire is better? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

which welding wire is better?
Page 1 of 1