All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Welding problem please help!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
83ratrodmurray
83ratrodmurray

Welding problem please help! Empty
PostSubject: Welding problem please help!   Welding problem please help! Icon_minitimeMarch 15th 2014, 10:27 pm

Today while I was welding I ran out of wire. I had been using flux core wire, so I didn't need gas. I decided to switch to solid wire and gas, so I hooked up the gas, switched the polarity for the gun, and did everything according to the book that came with the welder.

When I went to weld, I didn't hear any gas flowing from the mig gun and my weld had pinholes in I. So obviously no gas is flowing. when I hit the trigger the flow meter on the regulator goes down so gas is able to make it to the welder but not out the tip of the gun. I did not see any obvious signs of blockage anywhere so I have no idea what to do at this point. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Welding problem please help!   Welding problem please help! Icon_minitimeMarch 15th 2014, 10:51 pm

check your lines running through the welder check connections around the solinoid etc etc your more than likely losing it before the gun if it isnt coming out at all
Back to top Go down
83ratrodmurray
83ratrodmurray

PostSubject: Re: Welding problem please help!   Welding problem please help! Icon_minitimeMarch 15th 2014, 11:36 pm

ok thanks.
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Welding problem please help!   Welding problem please help! Icon_minitimeMarch 17th 2014, 8:35 am

if your flowmeter is reading gas going through it, its flowing, just not making it to the gun. check around where the gun lead connects to the welder. if you pull the trigger and you hear a hiss, then thats where the leak is. its best to take the tension off the drive rollers so its not spitting wire while youre messing with it, also, make sure you have the right nose cone on the gun too
Back to top Go down
Craftsman Dude
Craftsman Dude

PostSubject: Re: Welding problem please help!   Welding problem please help! Icon_minitimeMarch 17th 2014, 4:54 pm

Where the mig gun connects to the machine there should be some o rings if these are broken or missing you could be loosing gas there .Did you change from a flux core nozzle to a mig nozzle ? Also what machine is it? How many cfh are you running.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Welding problem please help!   Welding problem please help! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Welding problem please help!
Page 1 of 1