All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Stock VS modified engines

Go down 
+3
TroyBilt Pony
redlinemotorsportts
Stretch44875
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Stock VS modified engines Empty
PostSubject: Stock VS modified engines   Stock VS modified engines Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2013, 1:42 pm

We all love the idea of making something better, faster, etc. Hence why we modify mowers. With that said, I'm going to make my case for using stock engines... And hopefully some young guys can have fun for less money.

They are cheap, and darn near bullet-proof. Even a worn out 8hp engine was enough for us to have a blast, and do 30mph. Over the course of the last 15 years, we've used 10-20hp engines, all stock. Only thing done to them was bypassing the governor. If you do blow up your engine, another one is fairly cheap(most I've paid is 50 bucks for one).

Mower transmissions/transaxles have enough of a hard time keeping together, just with stock engines. Big horsepower equals big breakage. We've modified our transaxles to take abuse, and still have work on them 1-2 times a year.

Slap a 14.5 and up on your mower, and it will easily do 45mph. That's plenty fast for off road work, rarely do we run above 25 mph off road. 11 to 12hp, transaxles lasted a lot longer, and did 35mph.

Start modifying an engine, and you will soon have big bucks in it. Could have spent that money on tires, rims, brakes, and steering parts, and had a reliable mower.

There are cases where modifying your engine is a good idea. Sanctioned racing, where engine size is limited, and modifying is allowed. Only way you going to keep up is to dump some serious cash in the engine.

Or if you already have a decent setup, and like to tinker, modify away.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Stock VS modified engines   Stock VS modified engines Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2013, 1:55 pm

Agreed. There's no need for high performance unless your racing. I mean big engines are for mig mowers and mow decks. The mow deck is basically half the what the engine is putting out. Remove it and have fun
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Stock VS modified engines   Stock VS modified engines Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2013, 2:09 pm

I shall never be satisfied! MORE POWER Very Happy lol Thats like building a mud bogger with a 350 in it.. Yes, thats awesome and all, but when you put a 502 in it with some motor work done to it, your gonna feel it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Stock VS modified engines   Stock VS modified engines Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2013, 2:22 pm

At least until you twist off the drive shaft anyway LOL

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Stock VS modified engines   Stock VS modified engines Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2013, 5:51 pm

Stretch44875 wrote:
We all love the idea of making something better, faster, etc.  Hence why we modify mowers.  With that said, I'm going to make my case for using stock engines...  And hopefully some young guys can have fun for less money.

They are cheap, and darn near bullet-proof.  Even a worn out 8hp engine was enough for us to have a blast, and do 30mph.  Over the course of the last 15 years, we've used 10-20hp engines, all stock.  Only thing done to them was bypassing the governor.  If you do blow up your engine, another one is fairly cheap(most I've paid is 50 bucks for one).

Mower transmissions/transaxles have enough of a hard time keeping together, just with stock engines.  Big horsepower equals big breakage.  We've modified our transaxles to take abuse, and still have work on them 1-2 times a year.

Slap a 14.5 and up on your mower, and it will easily do 45mph.  That's plenty fast for off road work, rarely do we run above 25 mph off road.  11 to 12hp, transaxles lasted a lot longer, and did 35mph.

Start modifying an engine, and you will soon have big bucks in it.  Could have spent that money on tires, rims, brakes, and steering parts, and had a reliable mower.

There are cases where modifying your engine is a good idea.  Sanctioned racing, where engine size is limited, and modifying is allowed.  Only way you going to keep up is to dump some serious cash in the engine.

Or if you already have a decent setup, and like to tinker, modify away.  
Once again, I find myself in need of a "Thanks" button. Stretch has hit this thang right on the "go" button. Folks, you'd be amazed what a stock engine can do. Keep in mind everybody the following two things.

1)Lawn and Garden tractors are powered with the idea that they must be able to not only MOVE, but to power an implement at the same time. Remove the implements, and you have a LOT of freed up available power.

2)These days, manufacturers put in MUCH bigger engines than needed, because of what I will call "tractor" envy. Size ain't everything, but it sure sells tractors! When Mr. Jones figures out he can afford that 22hp monster, he's gonna buy it. Why? It's bigger than Mr. Brown's 20hp model. Sex sells. HP numbers are sexy.

With, say 12-15hp as an average example, there's nothing you can't do. Furthermore, HP is a more-or-less fictitious entity. Torque brings home the bacon. And torque at the wheel depends as much (or more) on gearing as it does on horsepower.

Thanks Stretch- If this sucker ain't stickied yet, I'm doing it now. Information like this is an absolute godsend to folks just starting out in a hobby, or thinking about it! This hobby is one of the not-so-many that do not require gobs of money.

Last edited by Doc Sprocket on August 14th 2013, 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
crazykid1994
Established Member
crazykid1994
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Stock VS modified engines   Stock VS modified engines Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2013, 6:03 pm

think about it a little easier. 4 wheelers run anywhere from 50cc to 1000cc and you think a standard lawnmower is around 350 cc. my 17.5 hp is 500cc. now thats power in the 4 wheeler world. stock 500 4 wheelers take down mud holes no problem and so does my mower with a stock 17.5 hp.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Stock VS modified engines   Stock VS modified engines Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2013, 6:10 pm

Yes, and no. There is no directl correlation between displacement (cc or CID) and power (whether hp or torque), especially when trying to compare different engine configurations.

Consider a 500cc tractor engine, and a 500 motorcycle engine. With the same load applied, the the bike engine wins everytime. There is just too much difference. That tractor engine is a low-revving machine, with a vary narrow RPM range, designed and built that way. That bike engine on the other hand, has no problem spinning up past 12 or even 14K. The internals are much more precisely manufactured, with closer tolerances, finer balancing, etc. It's apples and oranges, you just cannot make a comparison, and there is no mathematical formula for that.
Back to top Go down
crazykid1994
Established Member
crazykid1994
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Stock VS modified engines   Stock VS modified engines Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2013, 6:12 pm

that is very true.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Stock VS modified engines   Stock VS modified engines Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2013, 6:30 pm

crazykid1994 wrote:
that is very true.
It's best to stick to the truth
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Stock VS modified engines   Stock VS modified engines Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2013, 1:15 pm

I've been stickeyed! Is it supposed to smell this bad?

Thanks Doc.
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: Stock VS modified engines   Stock VS modified engines Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2014, 10:55 pm

As long as it sayes OHV on im in. My 16.5 high performance B&S beats the snot out of my 20hp oppy. More power. Not nessaseraly. Just better performance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stock VS modified engines   Stock VS modified engines Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stock VS modified engines
Page 1 of 1