All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

tractor build competition?

Go down 
+18
xxXMowerdudeXxx
Jedi
Kel
camomanusa
motorizedeverything
tractor_guy
Doug
Stretch44875
mr.modified
Thunderdivine
k2500life
Junkstarbuilds
TroyBilt Pony
Doc Sprocket
muddstir
redzz02
redlinemotorsportts
richie thomas
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Should we do a tractor build off competition?
yes
tractor build competition? - Page 6 I_vote_lcap100%tractor build competition? - Page 6 I_vote_rcap
 100% [ 24 ]
no
tractor build competition? - Page 6 I_vote_lcap0%tractor build competition? - Page 6 I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 24

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

tractor build competition? - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2013, 9:48 pm

Why couldnt you run it and enter? You cant cheat it if its won by popular vote.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2013, 9:52 pm

TroyBilt Pony wrote:
Becuse ypu have to be a mod to controll and replace threads in the appropriate sections if some newby posted it somewhere wrong, that means willis, doug, chopperhed, stretch, jeff, doc, FF, and J* are proally the ones that are appropriate for the spot
Back to top Go down
motorizedeverything
motorizedeverything

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2013, 10:00 pm

i dont think i am going to enter so i would be open to running it
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2013, 10:01 pm

In charge you'd have to organize rules too. fine tune so everyone knows what is ok and isnt. i still think doc can do it, hes done it 2 years on DIYGK
Back to top Go down
motorizedeverything
motorizedeverything

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2013, 10:08 pm

redlinemotorsportts wrote:
In charge you'd have to organize rules too. fine tune so everyone knows what is ok and isnt. i still think doc can do it, hes done it 2 years on DIYGK
yes red i know but didn't he say he dosen't want to run it?
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2013, 10:18 pm

TroyBilt Pony wrote:
Becuse ypu have to be a mod to controll and replace threads in the appropriate sections if some newby posted it somewhere wrong, that means willis, doug, chopperhed, stretch, jeff, doc, FF, and J* are proally the ones that are appropriate for the spot
Wont there be a new mod position to manage that forum section like the other sections?
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2013, 10:46 pm

TroyBilt Pony wrote:
TroyBilt Pony wrote:
Wont there be a new mod position to manage that forum section like the other sections?
Thats will's position currently
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2013, 10:52 pm

TroyBilt Pony wrote:
TroyBilt Pony wrote:
Thats will's position currently
i agree with red, even if it is popular vote, if you enter you shouldn't be in charge of it,
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2013, 5:37 am

TroyBilt Pony wrote:
I agree with you, and I may just end up doing this. FWIW, I appreciate the offers of help from those that volunteered. Heck, I may take on an assistant too.

And, by the way-

I had a buddy on DIYGK set up a poll once to see what people wanted him to build (non-contest, just build ideas). I kep teasing him about which one he should do, and for a laugh I decided to see if I could cheat the poll. Well, when he logged on to find one million and six votes for what I wanted... lol! 

So yeah- it can be done.

And I don't think that who ever is running it, should be competing. It just tastes wrong. Of the many projects I have going on, I won't be competing.
Back to top Go down
tractor_guy
tractor_guy

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2013, 10:50 am

I agree about the runner of the show. It shouldnt be a contestant an it should be a moderador of this site.
As far as tractor transaxles, Im thinkin any transaxle or tranny from a tractor. But for the sake of diversity, way not allow ctvs or torque converters. Heck, my landlords got two snappers that use two wheels as a tranny. One is a metal plate mounted vertical, the other rubber mounted horizontal. The speed is controled by moving the rubber wheel to the center or outer end of the metal plate. So by saying "any tractor trans" we are open to lots of possibilities. Just do some research.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2013, 7:45 pm

I have no problem at all with folks wanting to use centrifugal clutches, CVT's, live axles, whatever. As far as I am concerned, as long as the engine is "hobby related" and it's a LT, YT, or GT frame- the rest is open to the imagination.
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2013, 11:46 pm

damn........my build wont be able to be entered .....im using mower tranny and engine.....and seat, but the rest will be built custom....
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2013, 12:38 am

richie thomas wrote:
damn........my build wont be able to be entered .....im using mower tranny and engine.....and seat, but the rest will be built custom....
This is why I don't care for the rules that people are saying..just because that's not to someones tastes or ability. You can't enter...
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2013, 12:46 am

TroyBilt Pony wrote:
richie thomas wrote:
This is why I don't care for the rules that people are saying..just because that's not to someones tastes or ability. You can't enter...
i agree with most of them, but i believe if someone wants to build a custom frame they should be able to, but then they should have to run other mower parts to keep it "tractor" like
Back to top Go down
MowBandit
MowBandit

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2013, 4:24 am

so is there a date for this competition because like richie said the weather down here isnt so great but unlike richie he has a shed and some of yall ahve a garage i have the nice hard sandy ground a 10x10 tarp and no walls type shed haha also about the engine hp limiting thing does that go for mower engines because i dont wanna build up a nice mower engine just to have to dyno it to make sure it isnt past 30-35hp (yall know me and my insane opposed twin)
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2013, 8:46 am

The date has yet to be determined. Obviously, the weather sucks for many of us, and will continue to be a factor for awhile. Many are in school right now too- so if we start the timer too early, the first 3-4 months could be a total waste for some.

As for the engine- I am still leaning towards OPE engines. So if you manage to somehow miraculously squeeze 750hp out of a Briggs 28 flattie, more power to you.

As we speak, this is being fine-tuned, and getting close to being rolled out. We need to determine 2 things first, and I want YOUR input-

1)Dates
2)Judges, or popular vote?

Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2013, 10:18 am

Could have judges choose a few and have a polular vote on the remaining, or vice versa.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
tractor_guy
tractor_guy

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2013, 11:04 am

Jay, Doc and Ritchie all have good points.
---I think tractor frames should be used but to what extent? Allowing custome frames would make for some cool builds and anyone (like me) buildin a MTD would have a much better chance or winning with a custom frame. I plan to use my frame but obviously it'll beheavily modified.
---as far as engines it makes good sense to use OPE engines built how you want. I know I dont know where I could have an engine dynod or if I could afford to.
---the date should be started around spring break. I know a lot of the builders are in school but some of us have jobs that dont include a summer break. Lol reguardless of school or jobs a six month build time should be plenty. And startin on spring break would give students a nice jump start plus an opportunity to vocational students to use their class time in some cases. Eather way I think between students and workin men we will have a level playing feild.
Back to top Go down
redzz02
Site VIP
redzz02
Site VIP

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2015
1st Place Winner Build-Off 2015
1st Place Build-Off 2017
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2017
1st Place Build-Off 2018
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2018

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2013, 12:47 pm

I say popular vote you can't be biased or have favoritism with popular vote, also I say feb 1 to July, 6 months is a long time even if your buisy your still going to have enough time to build, with start it January or February 1st start of the new year build
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2013, 4:27 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
The date has yet to be determined. Obviously, the weather sucks for many of us, and will continue to be a factor for awhile. Many are in school right now too- so if we start the timer too early, the first 3-4 months could be a total waste for some.

As for the engine- I am still leaning towards OPE engines. So if you manage to somehow miraculously squeeze 750hp out of a Briggs 28 flattie, more power to you.

As we speak, this is being fine-tuned, and getting close to being rolled out. We need to determine 2 things first, and I want YOUR input-

1)Dates

I'm thinking May 1 to August 31. Should be plenty of time. It will keep the playing ground even so that the summer months are open to the kids to work as much as adults.
I believe we should have a Democratic styled poll. Everyone's vote counts. Limit of one vote and you must comment what you voted so it cannot be cheated. The amount of comments should equal the votes. If you don't comment, your vote doesn't count simple as that. Like I said, I could run it. I can bombproof a competition from cheating.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2013, 4:39 pm

TroyBilt Pony wrote:
Doc Sprocket wrote:

1)Dates

I'm thinking May 1 to August 31. Should be plenty of time. It will keep the playing ground even so that the summer months are open to the kids to work as much as adults.
I believe we should have a Democratic styled poll. Everyone's vote counts. Limit of one vote and you must comment what you voted so it cannot be cheated. The amount of comments should equal the votes. If you don't comment, your vote doesn't count simple as that. Like I said, I could run it. I can bombproof a competition from cheating.
I dunno about the comment thing. I'd rather the voting be anonymous if anything. We don't want anyone going "I thought you were my friend! How come you voted for so-and-so!"

I'm not too worried about trying to cheat-proof the voting. I got a few tricks up my sleeve.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2013, 5:31 pm

I +1 for popular vote. i think the online poll system on the site here can handle up to 10 builds. There are other websites that can handle many more for free. I dont think there will be more than 10 entries tho.
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2013, 5:37 pm

I might enter mini gt. If all I do is put the gx200 in it, fix steering and put the mud sharks on the back, will it not be able to enter
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2013, 7:23 pm

TroyBilt Pony wrote:
I might enter mini gt. If all I do is put the gx200 in it, fix steering and put the mud sharks on the back, will it not be able to enter
That's a pretty subjective thing. I would think that if you fit the new engine and get the driveline together, re-engineer the steering (as you mentioned in the thread),replace the tires, fix the brakes, wiring, paint, etc- IE a FULL rebuild, then sure!
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2013, 7:34 pm

Who are the judges?
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2013, 7:56 pm

i was thinkin of it starting in january lol but feb works also, and i need to know whether or not it could run a custom frame with a mower driveline?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tractor build competition?   tractor build competition? - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

tractor build competition?
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next