All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inTop Tractor Challenge

engine will not run right

Go down 
+5
Doc Sprocket
1997 Murray
TheBeal
bbuckler
murrey and me
9 posters
AuthorMessage
murrey and me
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
murrey and me

Forum Rep : 0

engine will not run right Empty
PostSubject: engine will not run right    engine will not run right Icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 7:30 am

hello i have a 12.5 Briggs and Stratton that will not run right it will not idle and it smokes like crazy out of the exhaust. Another thing that it dose run perfect with out the air-filter. So please help thanks.
Back to top Go down
bbuckler
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
bbuckler

PostSubject: Re: engine will not run right    engine will not run right Icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 9:06 am

A carb cleaning might help.
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Hammer
Hammer
TheBeal

1000 Posts
1K Posts!

Forum Rep : 107

PostSubject: Re: engine will not run right    engine will not run right Icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 10:23 am

yes, a good carb clean is a good start.
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Hammer
Hammer
1997 Murray

1000 Posts
1K Posts!

Forum Rep : 2

PostSubject: engine will not run right    engine will not run right Icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 11:37 am

the carb may be suspect. if it is smoking it may also have bad rings, or the muffler may have oil in it.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Administrator
Administrator
Doc Sprocket

1000 Posts
1K Posts!

Forum Rep : 20

PostSubject: Re: engine will not run right    engine will not run right Icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 11:52 am

Before taking any other steps- verify oil is correct type, filled to correct level, and uncontaminated.

Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!-Doc "Tranny Crusher" Sprocket, ATLTF Forum Admin, Thinkerer and Tinkerer, and all-around good dood. Wink

Gen. Mayhem- https://www.atltf.com/t2597-general-mayhem-race-tractor
MULE- https://www.atltf.com/t2153-lawn-boy-utltv
MULEII- https://www.atltf.com/t3328-1970-john-deere-112-the-beginnings-of-mule-ii
MULEIII https://www.atltf.com/t4263-mule3-brainstorming-ideas-etc#58287
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Monkey Wrench
Monkey Wrench
TroyBilt Pony

PostSubject: Re: engine will not run right    engine will not run right Icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 11:53 am

Could be rings, carb, too much oil could be causing the smoke, scored cylinder? But I would def start checking oil and a thorough carb cleaning.
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Monkey Wrench
Monkey Wrench
Lawren Wimberly

Forum Rep : 13

PostSubject: Re: engine will not run right    engine will not run right Icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 1:43 pm

It's common to find engines with too much oil in 'em. I had a neighbor bring me one complaining of the same symptoms... they had filled the oil to the top of the filler nech... It was amazing that the crap wasn't hydro locking the piston in the up position. I drained most of it out, and ran it till the oil that had leaked into the muffler burnt out. Took of the head, cleaned the top of the piston and combustion chamber, bolted her up and it ran fine. Told the ladies to let ME service the oil from then on.

First stop in checking running issues is air filter, fluid levels, carb, and spark plug.
Back to top Go down
simplicity14twin
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
simplicity14twin

PostSubject: Re: engine will not run right    engine will not run right Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 7:33 am

clean the carb for sure.
Back to top Go down
the54
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
the54

PostSubject: Re: engine will not run right    engine will not run right Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 3:22 am

What color is the smoke, blue or black?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: engine will not run right    engine will not run right Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

engine will not run right
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Technical Forum :: Engine Tech :: Briggs and Stratton-
Jump to: