All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!
 
PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

 

 How well would this work?

Go down 
+4
kawasaki220
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Craftsman1998
ThatOneTeen
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ThatOneTeen
Member
ThatOneTeen
Member


Age : 25
Join date : 2014-05-22
Points : 3726
Posts : 144
Location : Illinois

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2014, 9:41 pm

I am building a mini car out of a tractor frame, I have the engine mounted and all but I lost a few pulleys. The trans is a peerless hydro static and I was wondering if this would work instead of me having to buy new pulleys


How well would this work? <a href=How well would this work? 20140611" />
Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 26
Join date : 2013-10-30
Points : 4882
Posts : 1068
Location : New jersey

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2014, 9:44 pm

That wont work the belt wont grab the engine pulley at all
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

Age : 23
Join date : 2013-04-08
Points : 4939
Posts : 913
Location : Central Pa

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2014, 9:44 pm

You would probably have really bad slippage problems because the belt has really nowhere to grab a hold and grip the pulley.
Back to top Go down
ThatOneTeen
Member
ThatOneTeen
Member


Age : 25
Join date : 2014-05-22
Points : 3726
Posts : 144
Location : Illinois

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2014, 9:45 pm

Hmm, I guess that means I am stuck trying to find out what pulley I have to buy.
Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 26
Join date : 2013-10-30
Points : 4882
Posts : 1068
Location : New jersey

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2014, 9:46 pm

ThatOneTeen wrote:
I am building a mini car out of a tractor frame, I have the engine mounted and all but I lost a few pulleys. The trans is a peerless hydro static and I was wondering if this would work instead of me having to buy new pulleys


How well would this work? <a href=How well would this work? 20140611" />

Do you have any shorter belts?
Back to top Go down
ThatOneTeen
Member
ThatOneTeen
Member


Age : 25
Join date : 2014-05-22
Points : 3726
Posts : 144
Location : Illinois

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2014, 9:47 pm

No shorter belts, If I got a shorter belt do ya think It would work out
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

Age : 23
Join date : 2013-04-08
Points : 4939
Posts : 913
Location : Central Pa

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2014, 9:48 pm

ThatOneTeen wrote:
No shorter belts, If I got a shorter belt do ya think It would work out

Yeah, you would need it to be the correct size though.
Back to top Go down
ThatOneTeen
Member
ThatOneTeen
Member


Age : 25
Join date : 2014-05-22
Points : 3726
Posts : 144
Location : Illinois

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2014, 9:50 pm

LAWN MOWER MUDDER wrote:
ThatOneTeen wrote:
No shorter belts, If I got a shorter belt do ya think It would work out

Yeah, you would need it to be the correct size though.  



What If i got a belt that was tight on it? Like really tight you have to stretch it a bit to get it on?
Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 26
Join date : 2013-10-30
Points : 4882
Posts : 1068
Location : New jersey

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2014, 9:50 pm

that pulley in the top left corner cant move much until its rubbing the belt you don't want that
Back to top Go down
ThatOneTeen
Member
ThatOneTeen
Member


Age : 25
Join date : 2014-05-22
Points : 3726
Posts : 144
Location : Illinois

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2014, 9:52 pm

Craftsman1998 wrote:
that pulley in the top left corner cant move much until its rubbing the belt you don't want that


That pulley has a little metal bar holding the belt there
Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 26
Join date : 2013-10-30
Points : 4882
Posts : 1068
Location : New jersey

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2014, 9:52 pm

I would get one a little smaller if your belts tighter it should pull that pulley in the top left of the picture up witch would help you don't want belts rubbing when you push the clutch
Back to top Go down
ThatOneTeen
Member
ThatOneTeen
Member


Age : 25
Join date : 2014-05-22
Points : 3726
Posts : 144
Location : Illinois

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2014, 9:54 pm

Craftsman1998 wrote:
I would get one a little smaller if your belts tighter it should pull that pulley in the top left of the picture up witch would help you don't want belts rubbing when you push the clutch


No clutch on this thing, Its a hydrostatic tras .
Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 26
Join date : 2013-10-30
Points : 4882
Posts : 1068
Location : New jersey

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2014, 9:56 pm

ThatOneTeen wrote:
Craftsman1998 wrote:
I would get one a little smaller if your belts tighter it should pull that pulley in the top left of the picture up witch would help you don't want belts rubbing when you push the clutch


No clutch on this thing, Its a hydrostatic tras .
Oh ok yeah so definitely get a tight belt that you have to stretch a little to get on
Back to top Go down
ThatOneTeen
Member
ThatOneTeen
Member


Age : 25
Join date : 2014-05-22
Points : 3726
Posts : 144
Location : Illinois

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2014, 9:58 pm

Craftsman1998 wrote:
ThatOneTeen wrote:
Craftsman1998 wrote:
I would get one a little smaller if your belts tighter it should pull that pulley in the top left of the picture up witch would help you don't want belts rubbing when you push the clutch


No clutch on this thing, Its a hydrostatic tras .
Oh ok yeah so definitely get a tight belt that you have to stretch a little to get on

You happen to know what the smallest belt murray makes ? I have THIS -> on it now http://www.amazon.com/Murray-37x61MA-Drive-Belt-Mowers/dp/B003W58R78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403229459&sr=8-1&keywords=murray+drive+belt
Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 26
Join date : 2013-10-30
Points : 4882
Posts : 1068
Location : New jersey

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2014, 10:03 pm

ThatOneTeen wrote:
Craftsman1998 wrote:
ThatOneTeen wrote:
Craftsman1998 wrote:
I would get one a little smaller if your belts tighter it should pull that pulley in the top left of the picture up witch would help you don't want belts rubbing when you push the clutch


No clutch on this thing, Its a hydrostatic tras .
Oh ok yeah so definitely get a tight belt that you have to stretch a little to get on

You happen to know what the smallest belt murray makes ? I have THIS -> on it now http://www.amazon.com/Murray-37x61MA-Drive-Belt-Mowers/dp/B003W58R78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403229459&sr=8-1&keywords=murray+drive+belt
Im not sure what there smallest belt is but i would think you could use any belt as long as its not thicker then the belt your using now. i dont think it has to be a murray belt but i would ask someone who knows more then me
Back to top Go down
ThatOneTeen
Member
ThatOneTeen
Member


Age : 25
Join date : 2014-05-22
Points : 3726
Posts : 144
Location : Illinois

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2014, 10:08 pm

Craftsman1998 wrote:
ThatOneTeen wrote:
Craftsman1998 wrote:
ThatOneTeen wrote:
Craftsman1998 wrote:
I would get one a little smaller if your belts tighter it should pull that pulley in the top left of the picture up witch would help you don't want belts rubbing when you push the clutch


No clutch on this thing, Its a hydrostatic tras .
Oh ok yeah so definitely get a tight belt that you have to stretch a little to get on

You happen to know what the smallest belt murray makes ? I have THIS -> on it now http://www.amazon.com/Murray-37x61MA-Drive-Belt-Mowers/dp/B003W58R78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403229459&sr=8-1&keywords=murray+drive+belt
Im not sure what there smallest belt is but i would think you could use any belt as long as its not thicker then the belt your using now. i dont think it has to be a murray belt but i would ask someone who knows more then me



Alright,

I just went out to the garage and its 40in from the engine pulley back to the trans, The belt that I have on it now is 45in long. If I could get a 39in belt it would be amazing
Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 26
Join date : 2013-10-30
Points : 4882
Posts : 1068
Location : New jersey

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2014, 10:10 pm

If you have a old belt cut it to the size you need and drill 2 holes in it and wire the ends together and test it to see if it works
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

Age : 23
Join date : 2013-04-08
Points : 4939
Posts : 913
Location : Central Pa

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2014, 10:12 pm

Check this video out on how to measure a lawn tractor belt.  A 39" belt is tiny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KKgyrJOI8E
Back to top Go down
ThatOneTeen
Member
ThatOneTeen
Member


Age : 25
Join date : 2014-05-22
Points : 3726
Posts : 144
Location : Illinois

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2014, 10:15 pm

Craftsman1998 wrote:
If you have a old belt cut it to the size you need and drill 2 holes in it and wire the ends together and test it to see if it works


I dont have an old belt, My buddy is the one who gave me the tractor origanlly and he said that he has the belt but is is torn. Ill have to ask him If i can use it for a test.

If it works then ill buy this
http://www.mfgsupply.com/mower/mowerbelts/mowerbeltsmurray/12-6503-murray-37x38.html

1023.62 mm is 40.3 inchs. I dont know if its the same thickness tho
Back to top Go down
ThatOneTeen
Member
ThatOneTeen
Member


Age : 25
Join date : 2014-05-22
Points : 3726
Posts : 144
Location : Illinois

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2014, 10:17 pm

LAWN MOWER MUDDER wrote:
Check this video out on how to measure a lawn tractor belt.  A 39" belt is tiny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KKgyrJOI8E

I dont have one of those fancy tools, I have a tape measure.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

Age : 23
Join date : 2013-04-08
Points : 4939
Posts : 913
Location : Central Pa

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2014, 10:39 pm

ThatOneTeen wrote:
LAWN MOWER MUDDER wrote:
Check this video out on how to measure a lawn tractor belt.  A 39" belt is tiny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KKgyrJOI8E

I don't have one of those fancy tools, I have a tape measure.

You can use a tape too.  Just put a mark on your belt and go around until you reach it again and that is how long your belt is.
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Established Member
kawasaki220
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 23
Join date : 2014-01-22
Points : 4301
Posts : 546
Location : north carolina

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2014, 8:22 am

if you want to messure it use a old instinchencored, fede it through all the pullys and cut it and thats how big of a belt you will need / i think the smallest belt is 21 inches
Back to top Go down
ThatOneTeen
Member
ThatOneTeen
Member


Age : 25
Join date : 2014-05-22
Points : 3726
Posts : 144
Location : Illinois

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2014, 2:43 pm

If my tape is correct My belt is about 100 inchs? I dont know if that is correct or not tho
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

Age : 23
Join date : 2013-04-08
Points : 4939
Posts : 913
Location : Central Pa

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2014, 2:46 pm

ThatOneTeen wrote:
If my tape is correct My belt is about 10 inchs? I dont know if that is correct or not tho

That isn't right.  You need to make a mark on the belt then you need to measure around the belt until you get back to the mark. Should be around 70''- 95'' (that is the ballpark of sizes for lawn mower belts).
Back to top Go down
ThatOneTeen
Member
ThatOneTeen
Member


Age : 25
Join date : 2014-05-22
Points : 3726
Posts : 144
Location : Illinois

How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2014, 2:47 pm

LAWN MOWER MUDDER wrote:
ThatOneTeen wrote:
If my tape is correct My belt is about 10 inchs? I dont know if that is correct or not tho

That isn't right.  You need to make a mark on the belt then you need to measure around the belt until you get back to the mark. Should be around 70''- 95'' (that is the ballpark of sizes for lawn mower belts).

typo, I ment to say 100 not 10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





How well would this work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How well would this work?   How well would this work? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
How well would this work?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» clutch doesnt work and pulleys wont work
» how does this work?
» How would this work?
» Will it work?
» Will this work?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: General Tractor Talk + Pictures/ Videos :: General Tractor Talk-
Jump to: