All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

cool trans idea

Go down 
+2
Moose
kawasaki220
6 posters
AuthorMessage
kawasaki220
Established Member
kawasaki220
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

cool trans idea  Empty
PostSubject: cool trans idea    cool trans idea  Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2014, 8:51 am

so many people have talked about puting a trans infront of another one but has anyone ever got a peerless 700 or somthing like that and got a 7 speed mountain bike gear on the end of the trans and another mountain bike gear on the axle you are useing, if the 700 has 3 gears and two 7 speed gears you would have like 17 gears (has anyone done this if not i will be doing it to my craftsman ) this one, thanks
cool trans idea  Pics_029
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

cool trans idea  Empty
PostSubject: Re: cool trans idea    cool trans idea  Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2014, 10:37 am

I can absolutely with out a doubt guarantee you that any and or all mountain bike sprockets are not designed to be used on a lawn mower. They are designed to be light weight and withstand normal human use as soon as you start adding the superhuman power factor of even a 10hp it'll just rip itself apart you should try building a stepped sprocket pack like those and just use regular sprockets but I dunno if that'd work or not. Or you could slam a torque converter to a 6 speed high low like I use for pulling.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

cool trans idea  Empty
PostSubject: Re: cool trans idea    cool trans idea  Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2014, 11:45 am

Like moose said. They can't stand really heavy use. Heck I just snapped the one off my mountain bike after I rode it up a really steep hill. LOL Yeah if anything I would use an MTD vari-drive to a 700. With that you could have a load of good gear ratios.
Back to top Go down
ThatOneTeen
ThatOneTeen

cool trans idea  Empty
PostSubject: Re: cool trans idea    cool trans idea  Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2014, 2:27 pm

Moose wrote:
I can absolutely with out a doubt guarantee you that any and or all mountain bike sprockets are not designed to be used on a lawn mower. They are designed to be light weight and withstand normal human use as soon as you start adding the superhuman power factor of even a 10hp it'll just rip itself apart you should try building a stepped sprocket pack like those and just use regular sprockets but I dunno if that'd work or not. Or you could slam a torque converter to a 6 speed high low like I use for pulling.

My bike gears do fine with a 50cc engine strapped to the bike, Like you said tho I dont know how they would work with 10HP
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Established Member
kawasaki220
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

cool trans idea  Empty
PostSubject: Re: cool trans idea    cool trans idea  Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2014, 3:39 pm

It's a 15.5 hp
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

cool trans idea  Empty
PostSubject: Re: cool trans idea    cool trans idea  Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2014, 7:11 pm

I can't see it working out well. Not only are bicycle gears unlikely to tolerate the torque of such an engine, let's not forget that by putting the bike gears downstream of the 700. So now, you're multiplying the incoming torque by a factor of as little as 2, or as high as 9, depending on the particular gearset of your 700, and what gear you're shifted into.

To put this into perspective:

Your 15hp engine likely has a peak torque of about 25lbs/ft at 2500RPM. Assuming a 1:1 pulley ratio going into the 700, that's fine. Now- run that thru a 9:1 first gear in the 700, and you are now sending 225lbs/ft into the input side of those bike gears. Imagine what the output side is seeing.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

cool trans idea  Empty
PostSubject: Re: cool trans idea    cool trans idea  Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2014, 9:16 pm

Ive stripped gears on my bike; it wont work.

You could build a sprocket pack, but you will also have to build a derailleur as well to move the chain to the gears.

And you will need to figure out some sort of clutch system.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

cool trans idea  Empty
PostSubject: Re: cool trans idea    cool trans idea  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

cool trans idea
Page 1 of 1