My younger brother seemed interested in off road tractors after talking to him about it at a garden tractor pull. I went home and scratched me head a bit, looked around, and thought; Hey I bet I have enough parts laying around to build a complete machine for him!
Pulled this Craftsman (LT1000 I guess?
) from the back yard and took off the transaxle.
The shifter was stuck. I pulled it apart and found rust around the two-ball bearing detent area. I cleaned it up as best I could, but it still shifts hard compared to my machine. I wasn't going to lock it, but I remembered the two things that made my tractor so much fun: speed it up, and lock the rear.
It had grease, and I wanted to try using gear oil, so I made a vent/fill hole. Damn thing leaks. Resealed it twice, but still leaks. Oh well.
It had an 8" pulley (9" overall diameter, but 8" is what the belt rides in) and I put a 6" aluminum pulley on. Had to grind away some material to get the clip on.
This is the trans mounted with a new kevlar belt. Had to go one inch shorter on the belt size to make it work. I used the stock belt keepers. I just bent them in closer to the pulley.
For the front pulley, I had this 5" aluminum left over from previous testing. I used 1" copper pipe as spacers. I also reused the stock belt keeper after bending to fit better.
I wasn't sure how well the stock tensioning system would work as it is designed to slip the belt, but so far, I can pop wheelies in 3rd gear pretty good
Got the engine running good after cleaning the carb, new air filter, changed oil, changed fuel filter. Cleaned under the shrouds and removed some of the shrouds. Left on the red cover and one side cover on the lower cylinder.
Took it for a quick romp and threw the hood off riding over a root, so I used this drawer clasp to hold down the hood.
I bought a couple tether kill switches from ebay awhile back and never used them. Found a clever way to mount it (it was designed for a bike/ATV). Safety first.
Easy to splice in. One end is connected to the black kill wire, and the other end grounded to the engine. I'm going to add a tether to mine as soon as I figure out how to mount it.
This is how she sits. Kept the stock tires on for now. They are more forgiving when cornering.
It's a six speed: nice and slow in first, and as fast as my machine in sixth. If he's still interested after a month of having it, I've got some ATV tires for the rear. For now, this project is complete