All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

My build off options need some input

Go down 
+2
mr.modified
Moose
6 posters

What do you guys think?
Skid deere
My build off options need some input I_vote_lcap22%My build off options need some input I_vote_rcap
 22% [ 2 ]
Simplicity bulldozer
My build off options need some input I_vote_lcap78%My build off options need some input I_vote_rcap
 78% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 9

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

My build off options need some input Empty
PostSubject: My build off options need some input   My build off options need some input Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2014, 9:57 pm

Alright kiddies I am going to enter the build off this year however I have two projects that I could enter so I decided I would take some votes and see if there is anything people would like to see built or think would be something different.

The two options are:
Skid deere
Simplicity 707 bulldozer

Both are 100% not started and pretty crazy but I have pretty much everything to do them so what I need from you guys is pretty much just opinions. Oh and I need to know if the onan counts as a outdoor power equipment motor since it came off a generator but its a 4 cyl.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: My build off options need some input   My build off options need some input Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2014, 10:11 pm

Going to make/use metal tracks or rubber? Details man, details!!!
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: My build off options need some input   My build off options need some input Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2014, 12:58 pm

the skid deere is going to have over the tire tracks like youd see on a skid steer just to keep the rear simple because the rest is gonna be complicated. The simplicity is going to have rubber tracks I think because after a bit of research they seem to be a more reliable system than metal.

My build off options need some input Predator-ott-steel-tracks
Skid deere style

My build off options need some input $_12
Simplicity style

I am setting aside a pretty good budget for both of them and they will be complicated builds but they will be sick when done Very Happy

And just for reference the projects as they sit now:

My build off options need some input 0FnmbRll
Simplicity

My build off options need some input 1WqEAbGl
Sizzled deere
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: My build off options need some input   My build off options need some input Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2014, 1:05 pm

for a dozer, id go with metal. rubber tracks are great if youre staying on lawn and stuff, like we use them for our landscaping on out skid steers, but we tried using them in the woods pulling logs in the winter, and we were jumping them left and right, and we tore a set up too, they just cant handle it in the woods
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: My build off options need some input   My build off options need some input Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2014, 4:51 pm

Regarding the engine... Rules state OPE engine of 1 or 2 cylinders.
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: My build off options need some input   My build off options need some input Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2014, 5:09 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:

bah thats no fun
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: My build off options need some input   My build off options need some input Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2014, 8:34 pm

willis923 wrote:
Doc Sprocket wrote:

bah thats no fun
Neither is gonorrhea.
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: My build off options need some input   My build off options need some input Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2014, 10:24 pm

Guess that limits to the dozer lol I would put the T111 deere in but that will be done sooner than the build off end and I think itd be unfair to bring that much awesome to the table :p As for the track thing I suggest looking into severe duty tracks bud I saw some pretty nasty tracks but there is also the option of using snow mobile tracks as someone from work pointed out so there are options for the tracks all have advantages and disadvantages.

Metals tracks would be easy to manufacture but time consuming rubber tracks require a significant amount of tension to keep from jumping snowmobile track knobs arent designed for pushing hard so would likely roll over under load all three would cost around the same (mind you I am pricing the rubbers on ebay used or "used"

So what we have when it all boils down:

Metal tracks take time and money but are fairly durable when built right (stupid simple design)
Rubbers cost a decent chunk but parts are easy to modify and pretty durable
Snowmobile tracks would be mildly complicated and cost the same as above and need a sturdy design mildly durable?

So now we sit on the coolness factor :p rubber tracks are kinda generic metal tracks sound cool and snowmobile tracks would look pretty sick. Im sure you guys will have something to add so feel free Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My build off options need some input   My build off options need some input Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2014, 3:54 pm

metal tracks would be best but ehhh, just make sure its something u can build and you know it's doable in the time frame period, just make sure you count in the facts of building it how much it will cost ect what im doing making sure what i build is something i know i can build and wont cost me alot i have about 500 to play with for this build
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: My build off options need some input   My build off options need some input Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2014, 9:42 pm

I'd go with rubber, be it link belt, conveyor belt, or snowmobile track. Lighter, quieter, less maintenance.
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: My build off options need some input   My build off options need some input Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2014, 10:34 am

MTD2fst4u wrote:
metal tracks would be best but ehhh, just make sure its something u can build and you know it's doable in the time frame period, just make sure you count in the facts of building it how much it will cost ect what im doing making sure what i build is something i know i can build and wont cost me alot i have about 500 to play with for this build
metal tracks would be easy to build it's just that it'd take time really and according to math they would also weigh around 500-600# mini excavator tracks are in the 200-300# range. Thanks for the idea doc didn't think about weight.
Back to top Go down
frostypaws
frostypaws

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: My build off options need some input   My build off options need some input Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2014, 10:34 pm

I'm going with Doc on this one.  Rubber conveyor belt+steel cross links=good results.  These tracks have been going strong for 2+ years in sandy/loamy soil and have given good tractive results in all seasons.  
My build off options need some input Wp_00013
Back to top Go down
lawn mower man
lawn mower man

PostSubject: Re: My build off options need some input   My build off options need some input Icon_minitimeDecember 6th 2014, 12:12 pm

go with the simplicity
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My build off options need some input   My build off options need some input Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My build off options need some input
Page 1 of 1