Here's the rig, currently dubbed the Murray Mudtallica, although the build name could change as inspiration finds me later. Picked it up for $100 on the good ole craigslist, was a little more than an hour drive one way to get er. I may have overpaid, as a lot of other guys in the ATLT game probably pick up something like this dirt cheap. As of right now, the engine is just shot out, doubt its salvageable, looks like it had a bad oil leak that was never taken care of, front part of the frame is covered in oil. Front tires are really bald, especially for only being a lawn mower, and one is completely flat, off the rim. Transaxle shifts hard just sitting in the yard, gets stuck up in one gear or sometimes refuses to shift, transaxle may be on its way out too, we'll find out for sure once she runs. Guy I bought it from said the deck was no good either. Wasn't a big deal, took that off anyways. I'll be keeping the deck in the yard for now, possibly take pulleys off of it in the future, it's also got some good metal on it to keep.
As far as plans go, there aren't any set in stone. New ideas for the build will come through inspiration. I don't see it being anything too crazy, just an all terrain lawn tractor. Me and a couple of friends will be working on this, always good to have an extra set of hands, and someone to bounce ideas off of. Some things that are for sure in the plans:
-Find a new motor to swap in (new to me)
-Beat on the transaxle, possibly replace if she's done.
-Weld/lock up the transaxle, whether it be the old one or a new one.
-Back tires, something aggressive but affordable. Had my eye on some swamp witch's until I found they are made in taiwan, I try to vote with my wallet when I can so i'll be buying an american tire, possibly an interco if budget allows.
-Front tires, I might just put the back tires on the front, or if I find a smokin hot deal on some, the front could get some real love.
-Exhaust, thinking of a stack of some type, but its gotta be different than the usual. No solid ideas on that yet.
-Hood? Not sure what I wanna do up front, but I know the stock hood on this Murray just isn't aggressive enough at all, it's rounded and awkward looking honestly. Possibly fabricate a custom hood that is square, make it look like an actual tractor. Or, could go hood-less, but build like a rack of some sort basically. I'm envisioning like the side of a shopping cart, welded on to the frame around the motor, almost like a cage but with a purpose. It would obviously have to be jigged to fit the possible stack. I like the idea because it could be a cage for the engine, it can carry things if I want to carry an extra gas can with me, whatever it may be, and can also carry a person like a seat in a pinch. Another reason to put it up front is for weight, these torquey mowers will wheeley easy, for me thats not really what i'm looking for.
-Winch, depending on budget
-LED light bar, since the hood may be coming off, it wouldn't be a bad idea to remount some lights somewhere on the front just to have if I need em, reuse the factory headlight harness to run on the ignition switch and wire that to a cheap light bar.
-Paint. Black bedliner, mower will be beat on.
-Pulley Swap in the future
-Would like to add a different ignition with an actual key, or some other antitheft options so it's not so easy to take. Somehow make it harder to roll away too, even with a complicated starting system, that doesn't stop some stovepipe from comin along and putting it in neutral, pushing it away.
That's all i've got for now, ideas will come as time goes on. Anything I do with this mower will be posted on here, I'll try and reuse anything I have around the house before buying but sometimes its gotta be done.