All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

3.5hp Teccy problem

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

3.5hp Teccy problem Empty
PostSubject: 3.5hp Teccy problem   3.5hp Teccy problem Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2011, 6:50 pm

This isn't some cool project, just one of my old push mower engines. So last season the flywheel key got sheared and I replaced it sometime in the winter. After a few pulls it sheared again. I didn't use a torque wrench in the winter for the nut on top and read that I may have had it too loose, resulting in another shear. So this time I got the torque wrench out and set to 150 ft-lb. Well the pic shows the result of that.
3.5hp Teccy problem Pbucket
Wish I had waited to rebuild the carb till after this happened. So I have a proposed hillbilly fix just to get it running. Bolt the nut onto the remaining threads without the cup or washer. Then drill the cup center hole larger enough to fit over the nut, and drill 3 new holes and bolt the cup to the flywheel itself, in the holes I tapped to pull the flywheel off. It's either that, or bench it till another motor with a good crank shows up. Did I mention that I now hate Tecumseh?

Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
Ropertractor14
Ropertractor14

PostSubject: Re: 3.5hp Teccy problem   3.5hp Teccy problem Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2011, 8:30 pm

Been there, done that. LOL Happened at work using the special tecumseh tool to remove the flywheel. Ended up putting another crank in.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/GMCsierra1500
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: 3.5hp Teccy problem   3.5hp Teccy problem Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2011, 3:10 pm

Ive never used a torque wrench on the flywheels - i use a big breaker bar and crank it down. As a personal preference ( due to years of snowmobiling) i put an ever so slight coating of never seize on the end of the crank/threads- ive herd both sides of ' its okay ' and ' factory says no ' - never had a flywheel come off either.

When flywheels go on its a tapered press fit - make sure the crank end and flywheel are clean before it goes back together, i use the never seize to make it make it slide on a tad further and also easier to pull it off.

Personally, since the crank broke off- id wait n change the cam. I cant stand teccy's either .

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3.5hp Teccy problem   3.5hp Teccy problem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

3.5hp Teccy problem
Page 1 of 1