All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inBuild-OffTop Tractor Challenge
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum! . . .
New Top Tractor Challenge and Build-Off Profile Buttons on the menu bar! . . .
2020 Build-Off Winners . . . 1-Hillbilly Offroading . . . 2-darkside0914
HASPIN 2021 . . . Wednesday June 23rd through Sunday June 27th.
2021 Top Tractor Challenge August 14 competition –August 15 competitors ride, Pymatuning Pennsylvania **INFO HERE**
No 2021 Build-Off. Will return in 2022. Stay tuned later this year for rule changes!

Complete Novice With Interest!!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Papa Shaun
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Forum Rep : 0

Complete Novice With Interest!! Empty
PostSubject: Complete Novice With Interest!!   Complete Novice With Interest!! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2016 3:43 pm

Hello Everyone, I'm a complete novice and newby here, but hope to learn from everyone.

Shaun from KY
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Prybar
Prybar
MatthewD

Forum Rep : 42

PostSubject: Re: Complete Novice With Interest!!   Complete Novice With Interest!! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2016 3:56 pm

Welcome! We all have to start somewhere. Have you got a tractor project on the go at the moment?
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

Forum Rep : 277

PostSubject: Re: Complete Novice With Interest!!   Complete Novice With Interest!! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2016 4:01 pm

Welcome! There are tons of awesome builds on here to learn from!

- MTD Off-Road Build
      - Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
      - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road Build
       - Sears LT11 Rat Rod Build *2019 Build-Off Winner!*

- Allis B-110 x2, 710 & 716 - Wheel Horse 655, 953 & 500 Special - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic & 1668 - Cub 106 & 124 - Ford LGT 125 & 145 - White 1650 Yard Boss
Back to top Go down
Papa Shaun
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: Complete Novice With Interest!!   Complete Novice With Interest!! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2016 4:08 pm

Potential possibility.....I posted questions I have concerning the project on a forum....it's a 2002 Troy Bilt with a 18 HP Briggs motor...it is hydrostatic....but just looking to make something fun for taking on some local trails, not a speed demon.....from what I understand, really can't do much to increase the speed regardless.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Administrator
Administrator
Doug

Forum Rep : 71

PostSubject: Re: Complete Novice With Interest!!   Complete Novice With Interest!! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2016 5:30 pm

Welcome to the forum. Feel free to get in contact with me if you need site help.

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator
MightyRaze

Forum Rep : 542

PostSubject: Re: Complete Novice With Interest!!   Complete Novice With Interest!! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2016 9:38 pm

Welcome! I've been watching these talented people for a couple years and just dove in myself just a few months ago! It is fun stuff, parts can be pricey at times. Best words of wisdom when starting a new project, start with a cheap tractor so you have the money for mods and upgrades. Scraps are your friend! Be creative and anything can be used for something it wasn't originally intended. Always think safety first! Also, be cautious, these things are addicting!!!!

Forum Admin -- Chat Admin-- Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page --How To Upload Pictures

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
DimeWeld
DimeWeld
CraftsmanQuad19

Forum Rep : 152

PostSubject: Re: Complete Novice With Interest!!   Complete Novice With Interest!! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2016 9:42 pm

Along with what @mightyraze said, the tires will be the most expensive part if you're patient. If you keep an eye out for some that have been sitting a while, you can find whole tractors for free sometimes. @TheGreenHornet got his ranch king, dynamark, and cub cadet for free because he saw the weeds growing up around them and knocked on the door. Good luck with this tractor and have fun! I'm sure there will be more builds to come
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Prybar
Prybar
MatthewD

PostSubject: Re: Complete Novice With Interest!!   Complete Novice With Interest!! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2016 8:35 am

Yeah I agree, decent off-road tyres will probably be the most expensive part of a build. And check your local scrap yard for bits and pieces, that's also useful. I would maybe suggest seeing if you could get a cheap (or free) donor tractor, because you'll often find that an 'un-loved' tractor is cheaper than a certain part you may need.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
DimeWeld
DimeWeld
CraftsmanQuad19

PostSubject: Re: Complete Novice With Interest!!   Complete Novice With Interest!! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2016 8:46 am

Speaking of free things...I just got a moped out of the dump with some nice hydraulic brakes, cvt, decent cvt belt, and efi. All the parts on it will probably used on my various mowers and some future projects. But I just saved about $125 in parts. Thats money that can be invested somewhere else, and I still have parts left over that I might use (but don't know about yet)! bounce

Thread jack over......
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

PostSubject: Re: Complete Novice With Interest!!   Complete Novice With Interest!! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2016 10:38 am

@MatthewD wrote:
Yeah I agree, decent off-road tyres will probably be the most expensive part of a build.
Unless you get four ATV wheels for $60, hahahaha!

- MTD Off-Road Build

- Allis B-110 x2, 710 & 716 - Wheel Horse 655, 953 & 500 Special - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic & 1668 - Cub 106 & 124 - Ford LGT 125 & 145 - White 1650 Yard Boss
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Prybar
Prybar
MatthewD

PostSubject: Re: Complete Novice With Interest!!   Complete Novice With Interest!! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2016 11:01 am

Hahaha, well you don't see that everyday lol!
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
DimeWeld
DimeWeld
CraftsmanQuad19

PostSubject: Re: Complete Novice With Interest!!   Complete Novice With Interest!! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2016 11:04 am

@AllisKidD21 wrote:
@MatthewD wrote:
Yeah I agree, decent off-road tyres will probably be the most expensive part of a build.
Unless you get four ATV wheels for $60, hahahaha!

Even then, thats still the most expensive part. Engines, chassis, trannys, etc can all be found for free/cheap
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

PostSubject: Re: Complete Novice With Interest!!   Complete Novice With Interest!! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2016 11:08 am

That is true, but I was just making a joke haha.

- MTD Off-Road Build

Back to top Go down
TheGreenHornet
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
TheGreenHornet

Forum Rep : 3

PostSubject: Re: Complete Novice With Interest!!   Complete Novice With Interest!! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2016 11:13 am

Especially them old flathead briggs. they are common and reliable. I love them because they are so common, parts are ridiculously easy to find. You do not even have to look to find one around. Especially now that OHV engines control the market due to exhaust regulations and fuel regulations and all that Bullsheet. Find yourself one of them and a peerless(also very common) and you are set. And personally, i would look around for a peerless rear end. you can build yourself a dual pulley clutch like FearlessFront did and put a 5 speed under that TroyBilt. From riding on my uncle's, it seems to be a pretty solid machine.
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

PostSubject: Re: Complete Novice With Interest!!   Complete Novice With Interest!! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2016 11:18 am

Put a Peerless 600 in 'er, hahaha.

- MTD Off-Road Build

Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Prybar
Prybar
MatthewD

PostSubject: Re: Complete Novice With Interest!!   Complete Novice With Interest!! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2016 4:19 pm

Yep flathead Briggs engines are very cheap and plentiful. They are more economical compared with opposed twins. You could also put a Peerless in where the FNR is but keep the vari drive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Complete Novice With Interest!!   Complete Novice With Interest!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Complete Novice With Interest!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: New Member Forum :: Introduce Yourself Here!-
Jump to: