All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Are any ATLTs insured and/or registered?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tour1

Are any ATLTs insured and/or registered? Empty
PostSubject: Are any ATLTs insured and/or registered?   Are any ATLTs insured and/or registered? Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2019, 1:44 am

In my state (NY) ATVs must be registered (all) and also insured if they are operated on property that does not belong to the ATV owner (I guess).
My agent has said "Unfortunately, we do not have a policy for the lawn tractor. There is an agency that may be able to write the policy. You can try the **** agency ***-***-****. Hopefully they can help. Thank you!"

NY law says this (trimmed a bit despite that it's still long):
An all-terrain vehicle (ATV) is any self-propelled vehicle with two or more wheels that is manufactured for sale to be used primarily off-highway or in off-road competitions, and that is no wider than 70 inches and weighs no more than 1,000 pounds. This does not include vehicles manufactured exclusively for travel on snow or ice which are subject to other laws and regulations.
ATV REGISTRATION
An ATV must be registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) if it is operated anywhere in New York State, including on the owner's property.
You must have a valid NY State registration to ride your ATV in New York State, unless it is
• only used for agricultural purposes or not-for-hire snow removal on private property
• registered in another state to a resident of that state
• only used at special events (competitions)

INSURANCE
You may not operate any ATV anywhere in New York State, except on your own property, unless it is covered by liability insurance. Minimum required coverage is $50,000/$100,000 for death, $25,000/$50,000 for injury, and $10,000 for property damage in any one accident. You must show proof of this insurance upon the request of a judge, the police, or a person claiming to have suffered injury or property damage from your operation of the ATV.

There's nothing about lawn mowers as far as I know. I would expect them to have the agriculture exception but does it count for any configuration the chassis might be turned to?
If you guys know an agency or company that would provide the coverage specified I would appreciate learning of it.

I tried to get a quote from Progressive but they asked what year my vehicle is and I don't know.
The S/N does not appear to be a date code, at least not the simple code they expected.

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Are any ATLTs insured and/or registered?   Are any ATLTs insured and/or registered? Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2019, 8:50 am

I know @Maine Mud Mower has done his previous ATLT for the state of Maine. He may have some pointers. You can try him here or hit him up on his FB group. "Maine Mud Mowers" https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaineMudMowers/ look for "Neil Greenleaf"

Are any ATLTs insured and/or registered? Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Are any ATLTs insured and/or registered? Sig214Are any ATLTs insured and/or registered? Sig314
Back to top Go down
Double W Cross Ranch
Veteran Member
Double W Cross Ranch
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Are any ATLTs insured and/or registered?   Are any ATLTs insured and/or registered? Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2019, 11:49 am

I dunno what the laws are in Texas, but any officers would have to trespass on private land for 2 miles before they even get to my land. So I'm not very worried. Plus I've actually led a deputy around my land on my tractor before, LOL. Once we got there, he said, "Man I though this was going to be slow! I turned my radar on, you were pushing 16 mph!" hahaha
Back to top Go down
https://themagazineishalff.wixsite.com/website
Tour1

PostSubject: Re: Are any ATLTs insured and/or registered?   Are any ATLTs insured and/or registered? Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2019, 11:27 pm

My area of concern is mostly the Right Of Way road adjacent to my property and in the future, I can foresee somebody straying over one of the back property lines where the terrain drops off suddenly.
If or when something happens I'd like to have a reputation as a law abiding citizen. I have a habit of landing in gray areas, though, and this is a fine example.
Probably just worry about nothing.
Back to top Go down
CosmicArkie

PostSubject: Re: Are any ATLTs insured and/or registered?   Are any ATLTs insured and/or registered? Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2019, 8:23 am

"unless it is
• only used for agricultural purposes or not-for-hire snow removal on private property
"

Its a lawn mower, silly copper! would be my reply to any inquiry.

There are balers, mowers, all manner of ag equipment running up and down the roads everywhere I've ever been, just getting to the next field or whatever.  Just leave the mounts for the mower deck on your rig and ride happy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are any ATLTs insured and/or registered?   Are any ATLTs insured and/or registered? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are any ATLTs insured and/or registered?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: General Tractor Talk + Pictures/ Videos :: General Tractor Talk-
Jump to: