All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

woodland mower

Go down 
+2
dangeroustoys56
Chunk
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

woodland mower - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2010, 5:05 pm

ill check the sizes tomorrow so i can be shure... maybe after i start working ill buy some front tyres
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 6:59 am

ma sizes are

front 15X6.00 - 8
back 18X7.50 - 8

but i have two old tyres that came with it they are wider
18-8.50 - 8

these are the tyres that fit them but if you find better/cheaper please tell me!!
http://www.allterraintyres.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=153
though the only real competitor is this ones;
http://www.allterraintyres.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1426_1085_1358_1373&products_id=3084
as you say i could go slightly smaller or wider on the width so these i am calling the penny saver's Smile monkey
http://www.allterraintyres.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3244
what would be best
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 7:55 am

All Terrain Tyres do seem to be the cheapest by far! I'd go with them! Friendly people too.

The AGs should do nicely cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 8:22 am

ill probably get the cheap ones as I am stripped for cash ATM hopefully wont last long as just got a letter today saying they have narrowed the people down and i'm one of the ones left! they'll check the reference's and get back in touch!

awesome the best thing about the tyres is they say right at the bottom
"This cleated tyre will replace size 18x8.50-8 turf tyres."
which is my size!
i dont think i will use the thin ones.. unless you can find cheaper ones that are better...
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 2:36 pm

You could even go for 20 x 10 x 8s on the back at a push. But im pretty sure they retail for £75+ EACH affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 2:39 pm

dunno think ill stick with the ones on the page, now i just need money.

do you think its worth replacing the old front tyres?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 4:18 pm

disaster well not a new one but yeh... my tyre actually burst when out in the woods, not sure of the cause, haven't bothered looking too hard yet... i got the old tyre on, quite lucky i guess as out of my old tyres one burst and its the same on the new one, lucky me Sad

but i got the old one that still holds air on to it and by god, i noticed the difference look wise (outer line = front wheel outer) and also the toughness of them, i have noticed something though, so some good has came out of this! 2 ply (the thin ones and the old one that burst) have burst... the 4 ply turf tamer (or something hasn't so that shows i NEED 4 ply tyres other wise they'll burst!

if they do ill just put a tube in them although i hope they will b fine! a lot cheaper for two inner tubes than for two new tyres (8.98 for a 18X8 -8 Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 6:26 am

i am making a guard to stop wood getting into the belt I will post pictures later.

right its 19:00 here and i have just came in from working on the tractor

didn't get the guards done but i did get the idea planned out. i am putting two hinges on one side, and a lock on the other side so i can access the belt. near the end of the day i took the bull bar off and tried the tyres on the front, didnt look too bad...

i took the tyres off of an old mower at the dump well half the axle as it came off... so... um yea the problem came after i realised the shaft was rusted on, so me and my dad decided to take the rims out of the original burst tyres and use them as the rims with the new tyre...

woodland mower - Page 3 Dsc02219

my new tread;

woodland mower - Page 3 Dsc02310

the saviour other-wise i would still be outside!

woodland mower - Page 3 Dsc02311

i got two gas shocks, does you guys think i should gas charge the steering that would stop kick back....

woodland mower - Page 3 Dsc02220
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 3:42 pm

Even with a manual tire changer i still find it a bear to change tires. Once i put a tube in w/o the changer (before i bot it) and popped the tube - talk about p'd. I still drove the tractor with a flat tire- i had mud to romp thru!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 3:43 pm

lol yeah it was a nightmare what do you think about the um gas steering
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 3:57 pm

i really dont think youll need it to be honest - if you want really quick steering, go with a direct steer setup.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 3:59 pm

no i dont need quick steering but its just when i hit a log it tends to go snap into place and im getting quite worried about the steering. putting the shocks on would allow it to be tougher to turn when i crash it into stuff, what do you think
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 4:09 pm

Can try to set it up - i dont think youll have enough room - maybe look for 2 small/short 4 cylender car shocks? Youll want something with lower pressure.

Mount em to the spindles and almost center of the axle ( on the upper side for clearance).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 4:13 pm

yeah i will try and see study leave for me starts tuesday so ill get somting done then, do you think it would work in a triangle or maybe go from the stops on the steering thing's and brace them against the other side?
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 4:20 pm

only way really to find out is mock up a few different ways and see how they work - dont solid mount them- itll need to flex with the front axle.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 4:21 pm

yea i will need to make them independent o a ball or something, any idea welcome
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2010, 7:40 am

right the idea for the steering failed the steering rod got in the way and the shocks had wway too much pressure in them....

im not sure if this is a good idea or not but.... well i have been thinking i want a quad and then realised the price tag! over £1500 for one with decent reviews...

but right im not sure if i will do this yet or it'll come like a few of my other ideas a fail... but would the stock transaxle and engine (11HP and a 11" 5 speed gearbox) with a gear added to the side of it, with a big gear (a strengthened bike one or somthing) onto the rear axle to make it turn, that would give it some potential i though adding another link would help with the speed but i dont know, but the thing i was wondering hardest about was that to keep the axle in place you would need a bar in the centre welded to the frame... BUT if i mount it with a bracket then i would be able to put a spring on it or something similar, then to stop it moving too fast, as if i use the one off a bike then it will be under a lot more pressure than when on the bike. i would use the two shocks i got earlier and mount either side of the axle...

my main concern is if i do manage and if it does work then i would like it to the same gearing as a quad (so it would still give a good crawler but be fast when i am on the road) would the stock gear box and engine be up to this kind of speeds or am i just jealous...

the other thing is my mate, who has a Kawasaki, well id like to keep up with that at a decent speed... so thats about... well i dont know but fast enough to ruffle my hair on a calm day! tell me if im being stupid but i really want to race with my friend at a local race track but i cant do that till it goes faster...(i think there's a minimum speed limit).
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2010, 11:14 pm

i dont know if theres a happy medium - my 6 speed murray went at a crawl in 1st/2nd- and after 3rd went tons faster.

I wouldnt of taken that off road, 1. because it didnt have brakes 2. was too tall and top heavy, plus the clutch didnt work correctly .

Best bet is to make 2- one for off road and short sprints and another for hot rodding- im attempting to build a couple different types of modded mowers, basically to mess with if the oppertunities ever come up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 29th 2010, 3:22 am

yeh i just dont have another lawn mower..... so i cant mod it cause i dont have it
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 29th 2010, 12:15 pm

well- in a perfect world itd be the best thing.....LOL! Since y have just the one, id build it for whichever place youd use it the most then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 29th 2010, 12:17 pm

well... i like speed and well, there a MINI quad about the same size as a mini moto and has a 50cc engine, no clue whats wrong with it but there must be somthing...

what do you guys think? should i get it home and try it out?
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMay 2nd 2010, 8:48 am

My murray's top speed is about as fast as I can run.... Ask me how I know that. LOL! Anyway, It seems fast enough for me. it's no quad, but it'll get you there without feeling like it takes forever.
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMay 2nd 2010, 9:28 am

If you're going to be off roading on anything other than smoothish trails, I wouldnt make it go fast than 20mph at the very very highest. You want to have a crawling gear

Mines a 1:1 and only just manageable. And remeber this things have no suspension. 1:1 pulley ratio is a good comprimise!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMay 2nd 2010, 9:32 am

thanks guy's thats really helpfull!

i went and looked at some quads at a local store and yeh there expensive but if i get my job (since im sixteen no tax) and get intrest + half of its getting paid by my brother so yeh, getting a quad... not sure when though.

havent managed to get out on the tractor resentally as no petrol, need more.

if i get the bak axle off a quad i might try and mount the gearbox in the center off the chassis and use the back axle as well, the back axle, i would make it work with a gear onto the shaft and a chain and a big gear on the back, if i go about it correctly i could get a really nice gearing ratio...

does you guys think this would work?!
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMay 2nd 2010, 12:26 pm

FearlessFront wrote:
My murray's top speed is about as fast as I can run.... Ask me how I know that. LOL! Anyway, It seems fast enough for me. it's no quad, but it'll get you there without feeling like it takes forever.

same with TORQUE, kill switches would be nice eh fearless Razz haha
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMay 2nd 2010, 2:42 pm

Fearlessfront: Yeah i hear y- my agway takes forever to go anywhere - due to only 3 speeds- the pulley swap last year worked for like 2 minutes - i think a keyway sheared or fell out on the trans.

Well im gonna be dragging it 1,200 miles back home , and i keep leaning tward a offroad type tractor - even tho the deck works perfectly fine. Im thinking the deck will go on the 17HP hydro murray and the agway will get a bigger motor and wheels..... i need one anyway since the rest will be all lowered .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

woodland mower
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next