All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Good morning from Florida

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FloridaMan

Good morning from Florida Empty
PostSubject: Good morning from Florida   Good morning from Florida Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2022, 6:53 am

I have been lurking on the site for the past few weeks after picking up a free craftsman t1000. Due to it having the undesired vari-drive system I just pulled the tires off the wheels and had a buddy weld them to some old atv tires that were laying around. Wasnt running due to starter not engaging but got that all cleaned up and now she runs like a charm. Plan on bashing it till the trans breaks.
After a week or so of lurking here I saw that a popular machine was an LT1000, and came across one for free. Has a briggs 31P777 engine. Fella said it needed a couple things like oil, filter and basic stuff. Got it home and after doing the small things it needed I turned it over and while the flywheel spun, I got nothing. Checked valves and while they seemed a little tight they opened and closed. I pulled the spark plug and was going to find top dead center to adjust them and when my screwdriver hit the piston it fell to the bottom and didnt come back up when I turned flywheel again. I'm assuming that the crank broke based off of that and watching some videos and hearing a few people say that a common issue. I have also heard a couple times this engine is worth rebuilding so I think I'm going to do some research on some upgrades and give it a shot. This mower also has a peerless 6 speed in it. Dont remember which one but it shifts smoothly and roll nices so im thinking its in good shape.
Any tips or tricks when it comes to this rebuild? I found some resources in the technical section but when I click on them it says I dont have access. Is that due to me having a new account? any particular site i can find the repair manuals?
Thanks for all the great info and look forward to chatting with yall.
~ACE
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Good morning from Florida   Good morning from Florida Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2022, 3:54 pm

Welcome to ATLTF!  Not sure of the permissions other than maybe a "guest" account access or it was something hosted elsewhere and linked here.  I run across those all the time.

If you have the model# type off the valve cover head over to Briggs and Stratton and grab the engine manual for the engine.

Find Manual & Parts List | Briggs & Stratton (briggsandstratton.com)

If you need one for the tractor. sears parts direct may still have one out there.  Find the 917.xxxxxxx number under the seat or somewhere on the tractor and plug that into the search on their website. 

Appliance Parts | Replacement Water Filters | Lawn & Garden Repair Parts (searspartsdirect.com)

many of the parts can also be googled using ayp(partnumber).  For instance if the part number is 1234 then you can search ayp1234.  Just a few hints there.

Good morning from Florida Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Good morning from Florida Sig214Good morning from Florida Sig314
Back to top Go down
FloridaMan

PostSubject: Re: Good morning from Florida   Good morning from Florida Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2022, 8:37 pm

Thanks for that info! Will make doing research a ton easier. Have been going through the back log of posts and seeing what I can find hidden there

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Good morning from Florida   Good morning from Florida Icon_minitimeOctober 23rd 2022, 6:59 pm

Welcome to the ATLTF! What is that a 15.5 or 16hp single? The crank itself could have broke but I'd put my money on the crank rod, only way to find out is to open it up!

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~

Murraymountain likes this post

Back to top Go down
FloridaMan

PostSubject: Re: Good morning from Florida   Good morning from Florida Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2022, 9:23 am

Brianator wrote:
Welcome to the ATLTF! What is that a 15.5 or 16hp single? The crank itself could have broke but I'd put my money on the crank rod, only way to find out is to open it up!

18hp intex. I will be tearing it apart soon to find out

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good morning from Florida   Good morning from Florida Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good morning from Florida
Page 1 of 1