All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Murray wide body build

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
blanket80

Murray wide body build - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Murray wide body build   Murray wide body build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2011, 7:15 pm

I did a little work today, (until i slipped and fell down my shed stairs, and decided to call it quits for the day). Since i didn't get to much done, I did brainstorm some idea's. I have one current question that i would like to hear some opinions on. Should i try to find a governor plate ( or make one off another engine work) for the 15.5 engine that is currently in the tractor. Or should i try to find another engine ( probably a flat head 10,11,12, or 12.5 hp). comment what you think..

before i fell, i took some pictures of the murray with the stock hood, and with the mtd hood and grille. (note the hoods are only sitting on the tractor, they are NOT bolted on at all). I like the mtd hood much better.

Stock Murray hood
Murray wide body build - Page 2 Stockhood

MTD hood and grille
Murray wide body build - Page 2 Mtdhood

Which one do you like?? Comment!
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Murray wide body build   Murray wide body build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2011, 8:04 pm

I'd look for the part for the OHV and use it. The pressure lube is a big plus for a machine that could be going up & down steep hills, or side-hilling.
Back to top Go down
blanket80
blanket80

PostSubject: Re: Murray wide body build   Murray wide body build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2011, 8:18 pm

How are they on gas compared to the flat heads? And i have to wonder if they can take a beating like the old flattys.
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Murray wide body build   Murray wide body build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2011, 8:33 pm

They burn less fuel, run cooler & quieter, and they have a stronger rod than the flatheads. They do require a *little* more maintenance, as valves need to be adjusted periodically.
Back to top Go down
blanket80
blanket80

PostSubject: Re: Murray wide body build   Murray wide body build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2011, 8:50 pm

Well none of that is a problem. I'm actually certified in small engine repair, and i currently go to vo-tec for automotive technology. Even with that said, i am always learning/figuring new things out. There is just so much to learn! lol. Since you seem to know your way around the newer briggs more than i do, do you know if the governor plate off my 14.5 i/c quiet will work on that 15.5 i/c quiet?
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Murray wide body build   Murray wide body build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2011, 9:51 pm

If they are both 28ci OHV engines the plates & linkages should be the same. If the 15.5 hp happens to be a 31ci the plate should still work, but the linkages won't.
Back to top Go down
blanket80
blanket80

PostSubject: Re: Murray wide body build   Murray wide body build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2011, 10:05 pm

well, that should be ok, because i have the linkages, just not the plate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Murray wide body build   Murray wide body build - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Murray wide body build
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2