All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How I built my custom Harley exhausts

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

How I built my custom Harley exhausts Empty
PostSubject: How I built my custom Harley exhausts   How I built my custom Harley exhausts Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2010, 3:50 pm

I've had a load of people on YouTube ask me about how I build my stacks, so I figured I'd make show you on here too.

How I built my custom Harley exhausts 072408190823

This is the stock setup. As I lived in a built up resindential area I opted to keep the stock muffler on it. Having it exit in the left of the engine would mean having a really tight bend in the exhaust, so I decided to have them exit on the right hand side.

How I built my custom Harley exhausts 072608211343

Using some 1 3/4 inch pipe, I chopped the old exhasut, crimped the end of the large pipe so the small one would fit inside. This was my first welding project, so as you can expect, I wasnt getting good welds. After going at it with a grinder a few times and rewelding it with my MIG it was air-tight. Even if it didnt look pretty.

How I built my custom Harley exhausts 072908131236

After this I used an old 'v' section from a motorcylce exhaust I got from my local scrap yard. I mounted it facing about 45 degrees backwards. This is unfortunaly the last detailed image I took of the exhaust.

After this, I had two 90 degree bends, again 1 3/4 inch diamter. In order to get them to sit side by side, I mounted the furthest back one first. Then angle the end of the other so it would sit further forwards. To get them the sit at the same distance from the tractor, I cut down the horizontal section of the most forward bend. I know that was probably hard to follow, and with out proper pictures its hard to explain.

How I built my custom Harley exhausts Stack

This is best I have. You can just make out the top part of the 'v' section. That went to the front stack. From here I just slipped over a couple of Harley turnout exhausts that I had. Sounded really awesome. They had baffles in them, and the large daimeter pipe gave it a low tone.

How I built my custom Harley exhausts Dsc00910

Strangely, this is the only photo I have with both the stacks.
These pipes have since been retired. I should have made a bracket to take the strain off the block. Fortunatly my welding at the time was so bad the welds broke, and not the block. After that I ran it without the chrome parts, relieving weight. They became totally useless when I got an opposed twin for it, although the chrome sections will be used on that soon!
Hope this helps someone
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How I built my custom Harley exhausts   How I built my custom Harley exhausts Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2010, 4:25 pm

Thanks for the post- y did a good job on it.

Im going to run pipes under the foot bords- i have some 2" pipe ( old fence posts) that im going to use for the exhausts- id like to make the pipe bend out at a slight angle when it exits- might need to pie cut the pipe for that.

Maybe ill see if i can polish the pipe as well- ill see how it works out.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: How I built my custom Harley exhausts   How I built my custom Harley exhausts Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2010, 5:30 pm

The end result was really nice, I like how you kept them both on one side together. It's too bad it didnt hold up though. It would be really awsome to hear those beasts on a running twin!
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
ferg
ferg

PostSubject: Re: How I built my custom Harley exhausts   How I built my custom Harley exhausts Icon_minitimeOctober 27th 2011, 9:32 pm

that was some really good fabrication, where can you get tyre chains in the UK for mowers????
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How I built my custom Harley exhausts   How I built my custom Harley exhausts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How I built my custom Harley exhausts
Page 1 of 1