All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

What can I do to get some traction?

Go down 
+6
Marines2621
Ariens YT11
Tractor Man Jeff
gearheadmike
Doug
jaymz_eric
10 posters
AuthorMessage
jaymz_eric

What can I  do to get some traction? Empty
PostSubject: What can I do to get some traction?   What can I  do to get some traction? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2012, 4:29 pm

is it just me or do i expect way to much from my LT1000? it has a 16.5 hp briggs all the pulleys and gears are still stock, all ive done so far is a set of 18x9.50x8 inch carlise bar trac tires ( ag tires ) and it still just spins and clacks in 4 or 5 inches of snow! granted i have a slightly stretched belt that slips. but what am i gonna have to do to plow my driveway??? im not sure snow chains will even fit over the treads of the ag tires......im gonna lock the rearend after new years and slap a new belt on it...any other ideas?????
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to get some traction?   What can I  do to get some traction? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2012, 4:46 pm

Lock up your rear end would be a good idea, since youll have both tires spinning regardless. Next is chains since they add extra grip on top of your ag tires (think of a skidder). Lastly would be a weight box on the back to give you some more weight on the rear tires, or if you run your ag tires tubeless, washer fluid.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to get some traction?   What can I  do to get some traction? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2012, 8:40 pm

try adding some weight or fill the rear tires with windshield fluid
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to get some traction?   What can I  do to get some traction? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2012, 8:52 pm

I have the same tractor and I've found out, your front tires have a big impact on how well they roll over stuff. I found that with the stock tire size, they aren't big enough to roll over mud or snow, so they just jamb into the mud or snow and your stuck. What is your front tire size?
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to get some traction?   What can I  do to get some traction? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2012, 8:57 pm

Tractor Man Jeff wrote:
I have the same tractor and I've found out, your front tires have a big impact on how well they roll over stuff. I found that with the stock tire size, they aren't big enough to roll over mud or snow, so they just jamb into the mud or snow and your stuck. What is your front tire size?

I had pizza cutters for my stock tires, now I have the newer taller and fatter stock tires on my tractor.
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to get some traction?   What can I  do to get some traction? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2012, 9:16 pm

Put some more weight on the rear? That might help alittle.
Back to top Go down
BlackMountian88
BlackMountian88

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to get some traction?   What can I  do to get some traction? Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2013, 8:58 am

ALWAYS get chains. Nothing else compairs. And if you need a quick burst of extra traction, sit on the back of the seat. Smile
Back to top Go down
jaymz_eric

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to get some traction?   What can I  do to get some traction? Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2013, 12:21 pm

well i built a rack on the rear to hold 60 lbs of bar bell weights off the rear end, seemed to help me dig down and get some traction....that is until the POS stalled out and died out in the middle of no where...had to hike back and tow it in with my husky...kinda hard considering the LT1000 kept walking everywhere lol
Back to top Go down
Boogger31
Boogger31

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to get some traction?   What can I  do to get some traction? Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2013, 9:42 pm

Think about some weight for the front to help keep the tires planted to the ground. It will help you turn when the plow is down
Back to top Go down
jaymz_eric

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to get some traction?   What can I  do to get some traction? Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2013, 11:28 pm

yeah im gonna defianlty have to weight the front down now, she tends to just bulldoze her way through stuff now instead of turning lol
Back to top Go down
Boogger31
Boogger31

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to get some traction?   What can I  do to get some traction? Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2013, 7:29 am

I have the same problem with mine i want find some weights off the front of a big tractor or somthing like thatp
Back to top Go down
murrayman96
murrayman96

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to get some traction?   What can I  do to get some traction? Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2013, 9:01 am

honestly i would use tirechains and wheel weights, sometimes you can buy the chains and weights together off craigslist, also added weight in the back for even more traction like window waher fluid like others where talkin about, and i would try and weight down the front tires as well, possibly more agressive tread on the fron tires too, like my murray has, little quad tires...all that will help u plow better and your tractor will be a tank.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to get some traction?   What can I  do to get some traction? Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2013, 9:15 am

You could look at making Wheel weights.

Depending on the style of your rim, it eould be simple to cut out some steel plates and bolt them together. Really small rims wouldn't be feasible, since you wouldn't be able to add enough steel to matter.

Since my lttle Ford is going to be doing dozer duty, I dropped the deck off, and am going to add a set of belly weights for either side under the running boards.

That will add weight all to front and rear. I may still need more rear weight, I'll have to see how it goes,

Definately need chains as well. May have to splurge on AG tires.

Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to get some traction?   What can I  do to get some traction? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What can I do to get some traction?
Page 1 of 1