All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!

Go down 
+29
crazykid1994
k2500life
numbnutz
muddstir
Ddwannabe
mudmonkey06
redlinemotorsportts
Kel
WellThatsSurprising
SkiLLz
redneck999
genegillis5
xxXMowerdudeXxx
dylansrockinrigs
Chopperhed
gearheadmike
Thunderdivine
Murray modder
richie thomas
TheRainbowBoxer
Tractor Man Jeff
matthew sidor
truckin42
avrappy
Stretch44875
THE MTD GUY
Doug
W1ldyOvvnZ
fireman
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Tractor Man Jeff

lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2013, 7:56 am

Yeah mine had the same thing. I'm saying is if the bottom pulley was level with the trans pulley than you wouldn't have to do a extended shaft at the rear. Plus get a more speed.
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2013, 9:18 am

It looks great.
It a very clean tractor and lift.
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 7:09 pm

Spent a few hours today down in the shop. Mocked up the steering to see what I needed to do to make it work with the lift. Had to go down 2 1/2" and forward 1". Made a temporary plate to try it and it works great. Now I will cut and add a piece in to the steering rod to make it match the original bracket.

Then I tackled the drive setup. Made a new extension shaft and milled in the 3/16" slot for the key. Added a cross member and mounted the bearing. I had to make a temporary coupler out of a hub I had laying around because the one I ordered hasn't come in yet. All in all it looks like it should work perfect.

lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 DSCN0081_zps9edcd6e8

lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 DSCN0082_zps6736ac60

lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 DSCN0076_zps00ef91af

lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 DSCN0079_zps2fb92e1a

lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 DSCN0080_zps8abd479d

lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 DSCN0075_zps85993d05
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 7:17 pm

If your using this thing for show, might wanna shine up the transaxle, a wire wheel on a drill will work good. And this is probably worth the home page picture when its finished!
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 7:36 pm

Very professional. Might want to weld in caps on your diagonal supports or drill a drain lower so they dont fill up with water and rust from the inside out.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 7:47 pm

Looks good.
Are you gonna build bumbers for it?
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 8:39 pm

looks real good, i started on mine to day cause we were out of school and i borrowed your idea for the front axle,except i moved mine forward 3 inches to give a longer wheel base,
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 8:52 pm

Doug,
This thing ain't gonna see no water that's for sure. Purely shine and show!

Murray modder,
When I pull this all apart for paint, I will degrease the transmission and either try and buff it out, or paint it. I hope it makes the home page picture when it's done. That would be great.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 8:57 pm

High temp paint, but still, cleaning it would be good, and good grease to make sure it lasts...
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2013, 11:00 pm

Haven't done alot since the last post. I just ordered the spindles and hubs for the front end. I need to get those modified and installed before I build the rear hubs so I can get the distance figured out. I fish plated where I removed the original front axle and finished welding up the front end. Currently working on modifying the brake rod. I'll post more updates once I make some more progress.
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2013, 6:45 pm

Spent just a little while in the shop today. Wanted to use the oem brake rod and assembly. Had to lengthen the rod due to the lift. I just cut the head off of a 3/8" bolt then sectioned into the brake rod. I bored out a 7/16" threaded connector and slid it onto the brake rod. Got everything put together and lined up so it operated smoothly and didn't bind. Then I welded the treaded connector to the transmission support. Using this will insure that the extended rod won't bend.

lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 DSCN0083_zps73ecd528

lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 DSCN0084_zpsa0a676c7
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2013, 8:00 am

I got the shaft coupler in the mail yesterday and finished up the drive setup. Still waiting for the spindles for the front end. I figured while I wait I would put the stock tires back on and check out what it looks like on the ground. The pictures don't do it justice. It looks so cool in person. If we didn't get almost 8" of snow last night I would take it out for a ride today.

lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 DSCN0085_zpsc6914526

lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 DSCN0087_zps5170005e

lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 DSCN0088_zps5af9f680
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2013, 9:11 am

Looks great.
Are you gonna put a bigger set of tires on it.
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2013, 9:20 am

It's gonna get 23X9.50-12 turf tires all the way around.
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2013, 9:50 am

Oh ok.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2013, 9:57 am

Very nice
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2013, 5:27 pm

Spent a couple of hours in the shop today. Got the steering linkage bent, lengthened and installed. Also came up with a way to maintain using the stock shifter. I just added a length or steel rod and a plate that simulates the original shifter tab on the transmission in it's original (or close to it) location. It works good. Just can't whale on it and take my time putting it in gear.

lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 DSCN0094_zpsbaeb2371

lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 DSCN0095_zpscc35bab1

lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 DSCN0096_zps9b5b0e51
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2013, 5:32 pm

Looks great fireman!

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2013, 7:10 pm

Looks good! well done
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2013, 7:23 pm

So far it all looks good and solid, add support bearings for the extension shafts and it should be rock solid
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2013, 8:03 pm

looks good man
Back to top Go down
dylansrockinrigs
dylansrockinrigs

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2013, 9:44 pm

Awesome build
Back to top Go down
xxXMowerdudeXxx
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2013, 10:49 pm

its looking good man
Back to top Go down
genegillis5

PostSubject: awesome build   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2013, 1:19 pm

This build is awesome
I followed all through your post but failed to see if you told us how much lift is on the mower. Or what is the distance from the top of tranny to the bottom of frame in rear? I understand it will set nearly level when completed. I am considering a lift also. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Test Drive Video!!!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 10th 2013, 1:12 pm

Snow melted enough today to roll it out of the shop and take it for a test ride. Engine fired right up and she drove and handled perfect. Now just gotta get the spindles on the front and then build the hubs for the rear.

First a few pictures in the sun. Last one will be the video.

lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 DSCN0100_zps87363d65

lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 DSCN0102_zpsb2e64e6d

lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 DSCN0101_zpsbc0683d9

lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Th_TestDrive_zps46109f6a
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 10th 2013, 1:46 pm

genegillis5,
The amount of lift is different from the front end to the rear end. I took a ton of measurements before I started and created a drawing in a CAD program I have. I worked with the CAD program to figure out what it would take to get the frame to sit level. The program gave me the numbers. Unless your tractor is the exact same model as mine I don't know if my numbers will work for you seeing as every tractor is probably different. How much lift I gave it was just an arbitrary number based on the drawing I made in the CAD program of how I wanted it to look. You may want to go higher than I did which would be a different amount of lift in inches. I believe for the rear I went up 9 3/4". Once the rear was lifted, I jacked up the front of the frame till it was level with the rear and figured out how high I needed to cut the pieces to lower the front axle so it was even with the rear axle.

If you want something that's done right, it's not just as simple as cutting a piece of metal and welding it in place. I spent a few hours taking measurements to assure that both axles were on the exact same plane as well as the frame being level when I install the same size tires all the around. I am a bit of perfectionist when I build something and probably more so than most. Unless you have access to a CAD program or can draw and do the calculations on paper, you will have to mock everything up. My advice to you is take your time and measure twice and cut and weld once. Get the tractor jacked up in the air to a height that is to your liking. You will need to know what size tires and rims you want to run so you will know were the front and rear axles will have to end up (In reality, you are lowering the axles in order to raise the tractor.). Once you are happy with how it looks in the air, then unbolt the rear end and get it set in place at the height that matched your rims and tires. Now measure the distance you need to make up. Once that is done, move to the front and repeat the same process. I not only ran the numbers, I also did the mock up method to double check everything.

This may not be the best way, or the way others have done it. It's what worked for me and you can see by the pictures and the video it seemed to work well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   lifted - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next