All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!
 
Racing mower steering issues. Lend10PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inDiscordCountdown TimerRacing mower steering issues. Rend10
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
2019 Build Off Underway!
2019 Top Tractor Challenge! Aug 17th and 18th! DETAILS HERE!

Share
 

 Racing mower steering issues.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Murray modder
Skilled
Skilled
Murray modder

Join date : 2012-11-23
Posts : 356
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Somewher in Va

Racing mower steering issues. Empty
PostSubject: Racing mower steering issues.   Racing mower steering issues. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 7:21 pm

The list is forever...lets start small, with the most obvious annoyances.
I- The front end seems to "hop" rapidly when the steering is turns more than 30 degrees either direction on ashalpt.
II- The front tires dont grip the road at all, my turn raduis is around 12 feet.
III- The steering is VERY touchy, turning it the slightest, the whole thing jerks at higher speeds, and even lower.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Administrator
Administrator
Doug

Age : 24
Join date : 2012-12-24
Posts : 2882
Forum Rep : 47
Location : Lebanon County, PA

Racing mower steering issues. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racing mower steering issues.   Racing mower steering issues. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 7:33 pm

Are you using the stock steering? Might want to upgrade to direct steering.

_______________________________________________
Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_


Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21




Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Skilled
Skilled
Murray modder

Join date : 2012-11-23
Posts : 356
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Somewher in Va

Racing mower steering issues. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racing mower steering issues.   Racing mower steering issues. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 7:35 pm

Doug Fackler wrote:
Are you using the stock steering? Might want to upgrade to direct steering.
Its already direct
Back to top Go down
Doug
Administrator
Administrator
Doug

Age : 24
Join date : 2012-12-24
Posts : 2882
Forum Rep : 47
Location : Lebanon County, PA

Racing mower steering issues. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racing mower steering issues.   Racing mower steering issues. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 7:37 pm

@Murray modder wrote:
Doug Fackler wrote:
Are you using the stock steering? Might want to upgrade to direct steering.
Its already direct

Are you using tie rod ends? Are your linkages tight? Is the arm off the steering column the correct length/ correct degree?

_______________________________________________
Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_


Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21




Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Skilled
Skilled
Murray modder

Join date : 2012-11-23
Posts : 356
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Somewher in Va

Racing mower steering issues. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racing mower steering issues.   Racing mower steering issues. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 7:42 pm

It uses 2 rods, one to each side...and yea, everything is TIGHT
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Moderator
Moderator
Chopperhed

Age : 52
Join date : 2012-10-14
Posts : 801
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Edmonton, Alberta, Canada Eh!

Racing mower steering issues. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racing mower steering issues.   Racing mower steering issues. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 7:48 pm

@Murray modder wrote:
The list is forever...lets start small, with the most obvious annoyances.
I- The front end seems to "hop" rapidly when the steering is turns more than 30 degrees either direction on ashalpt.
II- The front tires dont grip the road at all, my turn raduis is around 12 feet.
III- The steering is VERY touchy, turning it the slightest, the whole thing jerks at higher speeds, and even lower.

The most immediate thing I can see is that you toe in/out is wrong, that will cause the hop, and wide turning radius, as the tire angles fight each other in the turns.

Does it have ackerman built in?
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Murray modder
Skilled
Skilled
Murray modder

Join date : 2012-11-23
Posts : 356
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Somewher in Va

Racing mower steering issues. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racing mower steering issues.   Racing mower steering issues. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 7:51 pm

@Chopperhed wrote:
@Murray modder wrote:
The list is forever...lets start small, with the most obvious annoyances.
I- The front end seems to "hop" rapidly when the steering is turns more than 30 degrees either direction on ashalpt.
II- The front tires dont grip the road at all, my turn raduis is around 12 feet.
III- The steering is VERY touchy, turning it the slightest, the whole thing jerks at higher speeds, and even lower.

The most immediate thing I can see is that you toe in/out is wrong, that will cause the hop, and wide turning radius, as the tire angles fight each other in the turns.

Does it have ackerman built in?
Define Ackerman?
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Moderator
Moderator
Chopperhed

Age : 52
Join date : 2012-10-14
Posts : 801
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Edmonton, Alberta, Canada Eh!

Racing mower steering issues. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racing mower steering issues.   Racing mower steering issues. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 7:58 pm

Its hard to explain, best bet is to search Ackermann Steering geometry.

basically its the abilty of the inside tire to turn sharper than the outside tire when going around a curve.

Its set in the angles of the spindle arms, and space between the tierods at the steering wheel.

The other things to consider are caster, and camber,

Increased caster allows for more stability at speed, while makeing it less jumpy while going slow.

Camber will help the tires lean into a turn.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Murray modder
Skilled
Skilled
Murray modder

Join date : 2012-11-23
Posts : 356
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Somewher in Va

Racing mower steering issues. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racing mower steering issues.   Racing mower steering issues. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 8:02 pm

@Chopperhed wrote:
Its hard to explain, best bet is to search Ackermann Steering geometry.

basically its the abilty of the inside tire to turn sharper than the outside tire when going around a curve.

Its set in the angles of the spindle arms, and space between the tierods at the steering wheel.

The other things to consider are caster, and camber,

Increased caster allows for more stability at speed, while makeing it less jumpy while going slow.

Camber will help the tires lean into a turn.

I think I just need to find somebody to do A custom steering for me...I dont think a front stoc lawn mower axle will cut going 55....Nor the turns I want AT those speeds.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Administrator
Administrator
Doug

Age : 24
Join date : 2012-12-24
Posts : 2882
Forum Rep : 47
Location : Lebanon County, PA

Racing mower steering issues. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racing mower steering issues.   Racing mower steering issues. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 9:46 pm

@Murray modder wrote:
@Chopperhed wrote:
Its hard to explain, best bet is to search Ackermann Steering geometry.

basically its the abilty of the inside tire to turn sharper than the outside tire when going around a curve.

Its set in the angles of the spindle arms, and space between the tierods at the steering wheel.

The other things to consider are caster, and camber,

Increased caster allows for more stability at speed, while makeing it less jumpy while going slow.

Camber will help the tires lean into a turn.

I think I just need to find somebody to do A custom steering for me...I dont think a front stoc lawn mower axle will cut going 55....Nor the turns I want AT those speeds.

Is it locked? If its not youll have lots of problems.

_______________________________________________
Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_


Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21




Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Administrator
Stretch44875

Age : 44
Join date : 2012-04-05
Posts : 956
Forum Rep : 7
Location : Mansfield, Ohio

Racing mower steering issues. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racing mower steering issues.   Racing mower steering issues. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 10:59 am

You need a custom front end, or to modify the stock one. Camber is all wrong on most stock mowers for speeds over 20mph.

Look up caster, camber, toe. Plenty of pics to see. 5 to 10 caster, 0 camber, 0 or slightly toe in.


Last edited by Stretch44875 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

Age : 9
Join date : 2010-02-09
Posts : 332
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Here!

Racing mower steering issues. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racing mower steering issues.   Racing mower steering issues. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 5:55 am

the front and geometry of a steering system can get very tricky. I redid the steering on my racing go kart twice. You need to factor in the proper amount of camber, caster, toe and Ackerman. the castor will help counter act the camber while steering. for instance, when my go kart is steering straight the wheels are set and a half degree camber. When I turn to full lock, it has about 8 to 9 degrees of camber... the camber will actually change because of the caster.
Ackerman is kind of separate, that is the effect of your front wheels going around a circle. Basically meaning that if you're taking a left hand turn, your left wheel will turn in a little more than your right wheel.
my toe is set at 0, or is close to 0 as I could get it.

_______________________________________________
Head Administrator account, managed by @Doug!
For faster service, please message my main account linked above.

Contact an Administrator
(link)


DIRECT EMAIL: Admin@atltf.com
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
Sponsored content




Racing mower steering issues. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racing mower steering issues.   Racing mower steering issues. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
Racing mower steering issues.
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Racing mower steering issues.
» Price quote to build a racing mower
» Power steering
» 400cc racing mower build
» Simplicity 4211 Racing Mower Build

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Technical Forum :: Chassis Modification :: Steering-
Jump to: