All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!
 
PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Next Chat Event - 8/19/2017 @ 8:00pm EST .
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
ATTENTION!! - The 2017 ATLTF Build-Off is underway! Click Here to view qualification rules, and Click Here to view entry instructions!
The new 2017 ATLTF stickers are in! View them here, and order yours while they're hot!
We now have a Discord chat server! Contact Doug for an invite link!

Share | 
 

 MTD off-road romper build.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 38  Next
AuthorMessage
truckin42
Expert
Expert


Join date : 2012-10-04
Posts : 1070

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:50 pm

I like the front brush graud.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Grand Master
Grand Master
avatar

Join date : 2012-12-21
Posts : 2080
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Norway, Europe

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:53 pm

Looks good, I also like the rat rod look.

_______________________________________________
*Thunderdivine*
My Custom Racing Mower Build
JD210R - Racing Mower, Sidebuild
My Vintage John Deere 110, 1967 model
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Age : 50
Join date : 2012-10-14
Posts : 801
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Edmonton, Alberta, Canada Eh!

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:02 pm

I luv Rats,

Nice work


Take it out, have it sandblasted, let it sit in the rain, then treat it and clear coat it.

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Thunderdivine
Grand Master
Grand Master
avatar

Join date : 2012-12-21
Posts : 2080
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Norway, Europe

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:05 pm

@Chopperhed wrote:
I luv Rats,

Nice work


Take it out, have it sandblasted, let it sit in the rain, then treat it and clear coat it.

cheers

What's the trick to end the fire? And still let it look like rust.

_______________________________________________
*Thunderdivine*
My Custom Racing Mower Build
JD210R - Racing Mower, Sidebuild
My Vintage John Deere 110, 1967 model
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Age : 50
Join date : 2012-10-14
Posts : 801
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Edmonton, Alberta, Canada Eh!

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:26 pm

@Thunderdivine wrote:
@Chopperhed wrote:
I luv Rats,

Nice work


Take it out, have it sandblasted, let it sit in the rain, then treat it and clear coat it.

cheers

What's the trick to end the fire? And still let it look like rust.

That I don,t know.

All the rust rtreatments I have turn the steel black.

May have to try an artificial patina.

Or,

Build it ot of High nickel steel, and let it sit out for 100 years. Like real rats
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Thunderdivine
Grand Master
Grand Master
avatar

Join date : 2012-12-21
Posts : 2080
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Norway, Europe

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:29 pm

@Chopperhed wrote:
@Thunderdivine wrote:
@Chopperhed wrote:
I luv Rats,

Nice work


Take it out, have it sandblasted, let it sit in the rain, then treat it and clear coat it.

cheers

What's the trick to end the fire? And still let it look like rust.

That I don,t know.

All the rust rtreatments I have turn the steel black.

May have to try an artificial patina.

Yeah same here

Or,

Build it ot of High nickel steel, and let it sit out for 100 years. Like real rats

Yea same here, maybe try dilute it some

_______________________________________________
*Thunderdivine*
My Custom Racing Mower Build
JD210R - Racing Mower, Sidebuild
My Vintage John Deere 110, 1967 model
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Age : 50
Join date : 2012-10-14
Posts : 801
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Edmonton, Alberta, Canada Eh!

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:32 pm

I suppose a real good chemical cleaning, ( carbon tetrachloride or something similar), followed by an etching acid, a good baking soda rinse, a good wipe with 99 % Isopropyl alch, or acetone, and a clear coat might work for a while.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Thunderdivine
Grand Master
Grand Master
avatar

Join date : 2012-12-21
Posts : 2080
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Norway, Europe

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:35 pm

That would need a good starting point, an old Ford or sum thing Very Happy

_______________________________________________
*Thunderdivine*
My Custom Racing Mower Build
JD210R - Racing Mower, Sidebuild
My Vintage John Deere 110, 1967 model
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Age : 20
Join date : 2013-03-18
Posts : 3122
Forum Rep : 2
Location : fingerlakes, New York

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:53 pm

so I started on a double pully clutch, but for the pullys bearings I need 5/8' bolts in order to make things work. Lock nuts will have to be in place. unfortunately my welders gun isn't working right, so no progress. ugh
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Expert
Expert
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2012-10-04
Posts : 1070
Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:22 pm

Yeah a double pully cluch works good.
How thick is the steel you are using?
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Join date : 2012-11-23
Posts : 356
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Somewher in Va

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:44 pm

@redlinemotorsportts wrote:
so I started on a double pully clutch, but for the pullys bearings I need 5/8' bolts in order to make things work. Lock nuts will have to be in place. unfortunately my welders gun isn't working right, so no progress. ugh
If its jammed, take off the little tip piece, and pull it the wire out...if that doesn't work, and it starts and stops a lot, you welding wire may have rusted.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Age : 20
Join date : 2013-03-18
Posts : 3122
Forum Rep : 2
Location : fingerlakes, New York

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:57 pm

@Murray modder wrote:
@redlinemotorsportts wrote:
so I started on a double pully clutch, but for the pullys bearings I need 5/8' bolts in order to make things work. Lock nuts will have to be in place. unfortunately my welders gun isn't working right, so no progress. ugh
If its jammed, take off the little tip piece, and pull it the wire out...if that doesn't work, and it starts and stops a lot, you welding wire may have rusted.
No shes not feeding at all, I had it on, grinded something, came back with t was still on and the button didn't work on the gun, I changev the .030 tip to a ew one and pulled wire thru and it weslds but idk the gun might have junk in it. ill have to see how to take it apart.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Age : 20
Join date : 2013-03-18
Posts : 3122
Forum Rep : 2
Location : fingerlakes, New York

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:58 pm

@truckin42 wrote:
Yeah a double pully cluch works good.
How thick is the steel you are using?
I welded a cupple little strips together, and its like 1"/6"/5/16" maybe. im not shure might be 1/8 thick, I think its stainless tho.
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Expert
Expert
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2012-10-04
Posts : 1070
Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:05 pm

Yeah it should work.
Stanleessteel it wont rust.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Age : 20
Join date : 2013-03-18
Posts : 3122
Forum Rep : 2
Location : fingerlakes, New York

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:36 pm

[img][/img]
While my welders down, and its looking like im getting a new welder, I went to my friends house and he was remaking a dirt hill and I got this shot while I was recording him, lol. I think on mu tractor im going to cut the old oem pully off the shaft and move the 5 1/2" mow deck pully up. im not shure, but I got to either change the front or the back. I might just suck it up and do the 7" rear pully. I either wasted wasted $6 on the rear or $18 on the front pullys.
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Expert
Expert
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2012-10-04
Posts : 1070
Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:31 pm

I would do both front and rear pullys.
Whats the sheet metel on the front of the tractor??
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Age : 20
Join date : 2013-03-18
Posts : 3122
Forum Rep : 2
Location : fingerlakes, New York

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:18 pm

@truckin42 wrote:
I would do both front and rear pullys.
Whats the sheet metel on the front of the tractor??
Sorry for the late response, it was for a custom plow he had
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Expert
Expert
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2012-10-04
Posts : 1070
Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:08 pm

@redlinemotorsportts wrote:
@truckin42 wrote:
I would do both front and rear pullys.
Whats the sheet metel on the front of the tractor??
Sorry for the late response, it was for a custom plow he had
Oh ok i thought thats what it was for but was sure.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Age : 20
Join date : 2013-03-18
Posts : 3122
Forum Rep : 2
Location : fingerlakes, New York

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:49 pm

I might trade some huge stroll tires for some 14" by 4" wide tires for my mower. My future plans are getting new bushing for those tires (if they work, and these will also be my front tires, much taller) and I might detach the front end and weld it lower so the front of the mower is 2-4" taller (lifted look) but that all depends on when I get a welder. Wish me luck!!
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Expert
Expert
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2012-10-04
Posts : 1070
Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:50 pm

@redlinemotorsportts wrote:
I might trade some huge stroll tires for some 14" by 4" wide tires for my mower. My future plans are getting new bushing for those tires (if they work, and these will also be my front tires, much taller) and I might detach the front end and weld it lower so the front of the mower is 2-4" taller (lifted look) but that all depends on when I get a welder. Wish me luck!!

Good luck.
sounds good.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Age : 20
Join date : 2013-03-18
Posts : 3122
Forum Rep : 2
Location : fingerlakes, New York

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:52 pm

@truckin42 wrote:
@redlinemotorsportts wrote:
I might trade some huge stroll tires for some 14" by 4" wide tires for my mower. My future plans are getting new bushing for those tires (if they work, and these will also be my front tires, much taller) and I might detach the front end and weld it lower so the front of the mower is 2-4" taller (lifted look) but that all depends on when I get a welder. Wish me luck!!

Good luck.
sounds good.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Expert
Expert
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2012-10-04
Posts : 1070
Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:53 pm

@redlinemotorsportts wrote:
@truckin42 wrote:
@redlinemotorsportts wrote:
I might trade some huge stroll tires for some 14" by 4" wide tires for my mower. My future plans are getting new bushing for those tires (if they work, and these will also be my front tires, much taller) and I might detach the front end and weld it lower so the front of the mower is 2-4" taller (lifted look) but that all depends on when I get a welder. Wish me luck!!

Good luck.
sounds good.
Thanks
Welcome
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Age : 20
Join date : 2013-03-18
Posts : 3122
Forum Rep : 2
Location : fingerlakes, New York

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:59 pm

I think i settled on a new welder, either this one: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200403263_200403263
Or this one: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332691_200332691
Both get good reviews but a $160 something price difference. I think ill shoot for the 135, i can sell my GM lq4 6.0L engine parts for it. i have $210 saved up.
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Expert
Expert
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2012-10-04
Posts : 1070
Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:20 pm

Yeah i heard them are good welders.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Join date : 2012-11-23
Posts : 356
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Somewher in Va

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:59 am

@redlinemotorsportts wrote:
I think i settled on a new welder, either this one: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200403263_200403263
Or this one: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332691_200332691
Both get good reviews but a $160 something price difference. I think ill shoot for the 135, i can sell my GM lq4 6.0L engine parts for it. i have $210 saved up.
If your still saving, I don't know how much mine was, but I got a welder from NT, It works perfect on just about evering. It worked on the 1/2 in thick steel plating I had for my front bumper...took forever to cut that.
Back to top Go down
flamudmower
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie


Age : 29
Join date : 2013-04-23
Posts : 2
Forum Rep : 0
Location : sanford FLORIDA

PostSubject: front tires   Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:31 pm

hey REDLINE just wandering where did you get those front tires from?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road romper build.   

Back to top Go down
 
MTD off-road romper build.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 38Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 38  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Murray Off-Road Mower Build
» MTD off-road romper build.
» mud/trail mower
» How do you build an off road trailer?
» Off road monster hot rod mower

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Tractor Project Builds :: Off Road/Rally Tractor Project & Builds-
Jump to: