All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

No spark after replacing key switch please help!!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jdclevinger

No spark after replacing key switch please help!!! Empty
PostSubject: No spark after replacing key switch please help!!!   No spark after replacing key switch please help!!! Icon_minitimeJune 15th 2013, 11:37 am

Ok I have a 03 Murray with the 12.5 power built motor. I replaced the key switch cause it wouldn't turn over. I use to be able to start it from jumping the posts of the solenoid but now I'm not gettin any spark with the new key switch all it does is crank. It was just running like a few days ago. I got the key switch from a b&s dealer so it should be the right one but would that caused my mower to loose spark.
Back to top Go down
greener179
greener179

PostSubject: Re: No spark after replacing key switch please help!!!   No spark after replacing key switch please help!!! Icon_minitimeJune 15th 2013, 12:17 pm

your kill wire isnt hooked up right then.
Back to top Go down
jdclevinger

PostSubject: Re: No spark after replacing key switch please help!!!   No spark after replacing key switch please help!!! Icon_minitimeJune 15th 2013, 12:55 pm

It's hooked up. It is connected to the coil. And I disconnected it and tried to start it but didn't work. And I reconnected it back.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: No spark after replacing key switch please help!!!   No spark after replacing key switch please help!!! Icon_minitimeJune 15th 2013, 1:47 pm

Unhook it from the coil(s) and try running it. If it still doesnt work then something else is probably wrong with your wiring. Does crossing terminals still start it up?

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
greener179
greener179

PostSubject: Re: No spark after replacing key switch please help!!!   No spark after replacing key switch please help!!! Icon_minitimeJune 15th 2013, 4:39 pm

as doug said if it was had spark and was running before the new switch then there is something wrong will your kill wire.
Back to top Go down
jdclevinger

PostSubject: Re: No spark after replacing key switch please help!!!   No spark after replacing key switch please help!!! Icon_minitimeJune 15th 2013, 8:44 pm

I did unconnect it and still the same thing. Just cranks no spark. Crossing the posts does the same.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: No spark after replacing key switch please help!!!   No spark after replacing key switch please help!!! Icon_minitimeJune 15th 2013, 8:52 pm

Bad plugs?

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
jdclevinger

PostSubject: Re: No spark after replacing key switch please help!!!   No spark after replacing key switch please help!!! Icon_minitimeJune 15th 2013, 9:06 pm

See now that I don't know. Umm. Ima get a new one on Monday. I was just unsure if the key switch would stop the spark.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: No spark after replacing key switch please help!!!   No spark after replacing key switch please help!!! Icon_minitimeJune 15th 2013, 9:32 pm

It certainly could, and I have to agree- this all points to the kill wire, unless by total coincidence something else has crapped out at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: No spark after replacing key switch please help!!!   No spark after replacing key switch please help!!! Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2013, 3:19 pm

Could be a bad coil. Or if the coil is rusty real bad it cant get spark through. Like Doug said could be bad spark plug. I check my spark by putting a screw driver were the spark plug hooks in and grounding the screw driver to a near bolt. If it doesn't spark the the coil could be bad. Try different things with it. Like sand on the magnets on the flywheel and clean the coil. See if that helps. Just throwing things out there lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No spark after replacing key switch please help!!!   No spark after replacing key switch please help!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No spark after replacing key switch please help!!!
Page 1 of 1