All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Briggs and Straton Starters

Go down 
+3
FOSWMT
k2500life
Murray modder
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Murray modder
Murray modder

Briggs and Straton Starters Empty
PostSubject: Briggs and Straton Starters   Briggs and Straton Starters Icon_minitimeAugust 15th 2013, 8:44 pm

Are all of the Starters Briggs uses on their engines the same? Mounting wise? I know the Opposed twins have their own way of mounting, but It seems the other two Briggs I've had used the same mounting pattern. Is this true for every one?
Back to top Go down
k2500life
Veteran Member
k2500life
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and Straton Starters   Briggs and Straton Starters Icon_minitimeAugust 15th 2013, 9:44 pm

Yes they all mount the same except the oppys and some teeth might be different
Back to top Go down
http://www.lastdropgarage.com
FOSWMT
FOSWMT

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and Straton Starters   Briggs and Straton Starters Icon_minitimeSeptember 24th 2013, 4:25 pm

k2500life wrote:
Yes they all mount the same except the oppys and some teeth might be different
What teatrh combinations are there please how do you know if what you bought matches what you should have how do you adjust what you have to make it work please?
Back to top Go down
http://www.friendsofspeckledwood.org.uk
BlackMountian88
BlackMountian88

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and Straton Starters   Briggs and Straton Starters Icon_minitimeSeptember 24th 2013, 5:04 pm

I don't think there are different teeth combinations...

I've switched starters many times with no problems.
Back to top Go down
FOSWMT
FOSWMT

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and Straton Starters   Briggs and Straton Starters Icon_minitimeSeptember 24th 2013, 5:09 pm

BlackMountian88 wrote:
I don't think there are different teeth combinations...

I've switched starters many times with no problems.
Do you think I just need to insert a washer behind the bracket then?
Back to top Go down
FOSWMT
FOSWMT

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and Straton Starters   Briggs and Straton Starters Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2013, 10:14 am

Have my starter working turning over with the insertion of two thin washers. I have also noticed some aluminum shards coming off this seems to have stopped. Is this normal?
Back to top Go down
cumminsbayou
cumminsbayou

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and Straton Starters   Briggs and Straton Starters Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2013, 1:00 pm

FOSWMT wrote:
Have my starter working turning over with the insertion of two thin washers. I have also noticed some aluminum shards coming off this seems to have stopped. Is this normal?
What i think your describing is the starter gear is stripping out. It may be stripping out because the washers on it are making the gear to far away from the fly wheel. Did the motor the old starter came off of have the washers? Did the motor your running them on have them?
Back to top Go down
FOSWMT
FOSWMT

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and Straton Starters   Briggs and Straton Starters Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2013, 1:21 pm

cumminsbayou wrote:
FOSWMT wrote:
What i think your describing is the starter gear is stripping out. It may be stripping out because the washers on it are making the gear to far away from the fly wheel. Did the motor the old starter came off of have the washers? Did the motor your running them on have them?
It jammed up after i put it in without. I think it has settled down I have posted a video here:
https://www.atltf.com/t2704-wiring-up-a-modern-key-switch
Back to top Go down
cumminsbayou
cumminsbayou

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and Straton Starters   Briggs and Straton Starters Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2013, 1:34 pm

FOSWMT wrote:
cumminsbayou wrote:
FOSWMT wrote:
It jammed up after i put it in without. I think it has settled down I have posted a video here:
https://www.atltf.com/t2704-wiring-up-a-modern-key-switch
May be the gear isn't the right one? I'm not sure but if the old motor didn't have the washers i would run them
Back to top Go down
FOSWMT
FOSWMT

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and Straton Starters   Briggs and Straton Starters Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2013, 8:28 am

Am really hacked off now. I cant find a replacement gear or flywheel in the UK second hand as this part is £200. I joined this group support forum to get support not to get laughed at when things go wrong. Now I have a redundant motor just because someone didn't bother to tell me to check the flywheel to see if it was aluminum. I even posted pictures of my gearing and no one said this would destroy the gears.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and Straton Starters   Briggs and Straton Starters Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2013, 9:50 am

I understand your frustration, but you have to understand that if no one here has come across your problem before, they simply won't have your answer. I myself am not aware of differing tooth pitches. As far as ring gear/pinion gear materials go, aluminum/steel/nylon/whatever will no matter IF the gears are meshing properly.

I should probably point out that you are a member of a forum populated largely by young backyards bashers, not old mechanics. Nothing really wrong with that, but do keep it in mind. Many of these folks have yet to learn the tricks of the trade- and learn they will- but you gotta start somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and Straton Starters   Briggs and Straton Starters Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2013, 11:12 am

I mentioned before in another post, that I had a steel gear briggs starter, that had a different tooth count than plastic ones. No idea what it would fit, did not use the gear because of the different count.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and Straton Starters   Briggs and Straton Starters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Briggs and Straton Starters
Page 1 of 1