All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Other ways to increase speed

Go down 
+6
redzz02
TheRainbowBoxer
richie thomas
Doc Sprocket
k2500life
TennesseeCowboy
10 posters
AuthorMessage
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

speed - Other ways to increase speed Empty
PostSubject: Other ways to increase speed   speed - Other ways to increase speed Icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2013, 3:31 pm

Long time no see folks! I haven't been on here in a while because of school, work, and of course the girlfriend Rolling Eyes . Anyways I've got a question. Besides pulley and engine swaps, what else can I do to speed up my mower? Its got around a 3 in on the front and a 5 in on the rear but its pretty heavy so I only get about 12-15 mph. Any help or ideas would be appreciated! Oh yeah and here's a recent pic for you all that follow me lol.
speed - Other ways to increase speed <a href=speed - Other ways to increase speed 06071311" />
Back to top Go down
k2500life
Veteran Member
k2500life
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Other ways to increase speed   speed - Other ways to increase speed Icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2013, 3:42 pm

Um bigger tires I know you said besides pulleys but I'd you put a bigger front you'll do better, lighten it up as much as you can
Back to top Go down
http://www.lastdropgarage.com
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Other ways to increase speed   speed - Other ways to increase speed Icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2013, 3:47 pm

Well see I changed the rear pulley from like an 8 to a 5, and I was going to change the engine too but something came up that got in the way. I think the clutch was too close for a bigger pulley. And I really love having the rack and toolbox as this is my farm rider when I haul tools to work on stuff. Could I squeeze out some more speed by adding a foot throttle? BTW what year is the truck in your picture?
Back to top Go down
k2500life
Veteran Member
k2500life
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Other ways to increase speed   speed - Other ways to increase speed Icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2013, 3:51 pm

You may be able to if you increase the throttle but be very careful you can blow it up
Quickly if it over revs. And that is my 1998 Chevrolet k2500
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Other ways to increase speed   speed - Other ways to increase speed Icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2013, 4:09 pm

That's not a problem unless I bypass the governor though right? And its nice, I like it. Im a big Chevy guy myself.
Back to top Go down
k2500life
Veteran Member
k2500life
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Other ways to increase speed   speed - Other ways to increase speed Icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2013, 4:11 pm

Ya just don't run it all day long on full throttle and thanks it needs a paint job real bad though
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Other ways to increase speed   speed - Other ways to increase speed Icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2013, 5:37 pm

Adding a foot throttle won't change speed any. It's a method of controlling what's already there. Frankly, reducing weight won't help either. You are geared so low that it really doesn't matter. In addition to altering your gear ratio via pulley swaps and larger rear tires, you can adjust the governed speed on your engine. A higher maximum RPM equals a faster road speed.

For the straight scoop on your governor, read this- https://www.atltf.com/t2575-governors-flywheels-and-an-internet-full-of-crap
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Other ways to increase speed   speed - Other ways to increase speed Icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2013, 6:03 pm

TennesseeCowboy wrote:
Long time no see folks! I haven't been on here in a while because of school, work, and of course the girlfriend Rolling Eyes . Anyways I've got a question. Besides pulley and engine swaps, what else can I do to speed up my mower? Its got around a 3 in on the front and a 5 in on the rear but its pretty heavy so I only get about 12-15 mph. Any help or ideas would be appreciated! Oh yeah and here's a recent pic for you all that follow me lol. />
what size tires? and what hp motor? cause on my lifted one with 27" tires im getting around 25-30 with a 4 on the motor and a 6 on the tranny, a 5 up front to a 3 in the rear should get real good speed, unless i miss read what you wrote
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Other ways to increase speed   speed - Other ways to increase speed Icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2013, 6:15 pm

richie thomas wrote:
TennesseeCowboy wrote:
Long time no see folks! I haven't been on here in a while because of school, work, and of course the girlfriend Rolling Eyes . Anyways I've got a question. Besides pulley and engine swaps, what else can I do to speed up my mower? Its got around a 3 in on the front and a 5 in on the rear but its pretty heavy so I only get about 12-15 mph. Any help or ideas would be appreciated! Oh yeah and here's a recent pic for you all that follow me lol. />
what size tires? and what hp motor? cause on my lifted one with 27" tires im getting around 25-30 with a 4 on the motor and a 6 on the tranny, a 5 up front to a 3 in the rear should get real good speed, unless i miss read what you wrote
22" tires on the back with an 11 1/2 hp Briggs. And yes you got it reversed its 3 on the engine and 5 on the rearend. I'd love to put a bigger engine pulley on but like I said I just don't think there is enough room unless I changed the clutch system which i'd rather not lol. And that link helped a lot thanks!
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Other ways to increase speed   speed - Other ways to increase speed Icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2013, 6:39 pm

TennesseeCowboy wrote:
richie thomas wrote:
TennesseeCowboy wrote:
22" tires on the back with an 11 1/2 hp Briggs. And yes you got it reversed its 3 on the engine and 5 on the rearend. I'd love to put a bigger engine pulley on but like I said I just don't think there is enough room unless I changed the clutch system which i'd rather not lol. And that link helped a lot thanks!
that ho my craftsman was, you wouldn't think it would fit, but i was able to squeeze a 4" in the place of the 3", id say put a smaller pulley on the rear to help, but that might cause alot of belt slippage so it would be counterproductive
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Other ways to increase speed   speed - Other ways to increase speed Icon_minitimeAugust 22nd 2013, 10:09 am

Outside of tires and pulley swaps, the only way to increase speed would be to:

A. Increase the RPMs of the engine
1. bypass governor (which my friends and I do). FYI - This will not net you a huge increase, and holding the engine all the time at full rpm is not healthy for it. Read Doc's post on governors... good stuff there.
2. modify engine to balance the components, add stiffer valve springs, etc (IE race prepped) + added safety equipment (this topic has been beat to death).

B. Modify the gearing INSIDE the transaxle. Unless you have the knowhow and the money to replace the drive gears in the transmission, this is not really an option... and relocating / modifying the clutch is way easier anyway.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Other ways to increase speed   speed - Other ways to increase speed Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2013, 9:41 pm

I guess my only options are swapping the engine pulley...or this other idea I might do in the near future: We have a Ford hydro mower with a 16.5 Kohler in it that I might swap in my mudder if we get a new mower, which we might soon. That would be the coolest option lol
Back to top Go down
redzz02
Site VIP
redzz02
Site VIP

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2015
1st Place Winner Build-Off 2015
1st Place Build-Off 2017
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2017
1st Place Build-Off 2018
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2018

PostSubject: Re: Other ways to increase speed   speed - Other ways to increase speed Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2013, 1:41 am

you can fit a 4 inch on the motor without hitting the clutch pulley, i run 4 on the motor and 5 on the rear does good for me, like the dyna, same body style as my old racing mower
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Other ways to increase speed   speed - Other ways to increase speed Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2013, 7:55 am

If you put it in neutral, and roll off a cliff, it will go fast! This works for just about anything.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Other ways to increase speed   speed - Other ways to increase speed Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2013, 11:19 am

Stretch44875 wrote:
If you put it in neutral, and roll off a cliff, it will go fast!  This works for just about anything.
:O no way! I can't wait till I can try that! Thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: Other ways to increase speed   speed - Other ways to increase speed Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2013, 12:02 pm

Stretch44875 wrote:
If you put it in neutral, and roll off a cliff, it will go fast!  This works for just about anything.
This also works for homebuilt motorhomes.

Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Other ways to increase speed   speed - Other ways to increase speed Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2013, 4:51 pm

WellThatsSurprising wrote:
Stretch44875 wrote:
This also works for homebuilt motorhomes.

Dammit wheres the like button!! Mad 

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Other ways to increase speed   speed - Other ways to increase speed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Other ways to increase speed
Page 1 of 1