All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Electrical Shutoff??

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TheStuffz
TheStuffz

Electrical Shutoff?? Empty
PostSubject: Electrical Shutoff??   Electrical Shutoff?? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 10:19 pm

My Crapsman keeps killing the battery. It's a new battery and every time i go to use it, it's dead...

now the battery is in the box under the seat, is there a small disconnect or an easy way to wire one in or do I have to put the seat up and take the battery post off EVERY time I'm done riding it???
Back to top Go down
crazykid1994
Established Member
crazykid1994
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Shutoff??   Electrical Shutoff?? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 10:56 pm

you could probably mount a disconnect. it wouldnt be hard. go buy one from an autoparts store and than just mount and wire it
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Shutoff??   Electrical Shutoff?? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 5:16 am

Your certainly could mount a disconnect somewhere convenient like the dashboard, but I'd be more interested in figuring out the problem rather than sticking a band-aid on it. Why is it doing it? Is the battery defective? A phantom drain, perhaps? Alternator bad?

How long has it been doing it, and have you tried disconnecting the battery between uses to see if it helps? I know you said the battery is new, but any chance it's actually bad? Are you sure it's recieving a charge?
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Shutoff??   Electrical Shutoff?? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 8:56 am

Doc Sprocket wrote:
Your certainly could mount a disconnect somewhere convenient like the dashboard, but I'd be more interested in figuring out the problem rather than sticking a band-aid on it. Why is it doing it? Is the battery defective? A phantom drain, perhaps? Alternator bad?

How long has it been doing it, and have you tried disconnecting the battery between uses to see if it helps? I know you said the battery is new, but any chance it's actually bad? Are you sure it's recieving a charge?
A very wise man once told me - "Just because it's new don't mean it ain't junk."
Words to live by.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Shutoff??   Electrical Shutoff?? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 9:01 am

TheRainbowBoxer wrote:

A very wise man once told me - "Just because it's new don't mean it ain't junk."  
Words to live by.
Absolutely correct sir! That and, "Never assume anything". If you still have access to that wise man, shake his hand for me. For anybody reading this: Buy enough stuff, and sooner or later you'll get a bad one right outta the box. Including spark plugs.

Last edited by Doc Sprocket on Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
crazykid1994
Established Member
crazykid1994
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Shutoff??   Electrical Shutoff?? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 9:02 am

example. i bought a battery that was good for about 6 months and died.... it never held a charge and than even with a booster on it after 6 months it stopped working entirely. new battery solved everything
Back to top Go down
TheStuffz
TheStuffz

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Shutoff??   Electrical Shutoff?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 4:38 pm

well on the way out to pug's for the big picknick the battery was disconnected, held the charge all the way there, just had to re-hook. on way home i left it hooked up and it was DEAD. I charged it for a day (trickle charger) and drove it around no problem. couple days after went to start it and stone dead again. all the deck safety stuff has been bypassed etc. no headlights, has an off, on, start keyed ignition with no mode for lights.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Shutoff??   Electrical Shutoff?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 7:09 pm

I recently heard of a bad starter relay (solenoid) causing similar symptoms. Could be bleeding off current to ground. Do a phantom draw test. May also be caused by bad alternator diode.
Back to top Go down
TheStuffz
TheStuffz

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Shutoff??   Electrical Shutoff?? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 4:40 pm

thinking i will have to do that. I should unpack my tools from the trip! lol
Back to top Go down
TheStuffz
TheStuffz

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Shutoff??   Electrical Shutoff?? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 12:41 pm

guessing battery might not be up to snuff. charged the crap out of it, lasted one round, wouldnt even start up again. that or charging system.. ffs!
Back to top Go down
TheStuffz
TheStuffz

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Shutoff??   Electrical Shutoff?? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 4:10 pm

checked battery. fully charged... thinking my tractor has either crap starter or some gremlins..
Back to top Go down
TheStuffz
TheStuffz

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Shutoff??   Electrical Shutoff?? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 10:06 pm

So I turned on the key, turn key to start and nothing. I jump the solenoid and it cranks.. kinda. doesnt seem to crank right though.. and it wont start...
Back to top Go down
TheStuffz
TheStuffz

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Shutoff??   Electrical Shutoff?? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 11:39 am

Better look at it this last fall and it seems my ground wire is the culprit!!

Got big plans for the Craftsman. Gonna look different when Im done with her. Gonna go longer and lower.
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Shutoff??   Electrical Shutoff?? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 6:00 pm

glad you got it sorted out. on all of our firetrucks, we have master switches. get back in station, shut the truck down, kill the master switch, plug in the air and plug in the trickle charger
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Shutoff??   Electrical Shutoff?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Electrical Shutoff??
Page 1 of 1