All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

hot rod mower in the making

Go down 
+10
cumminsbayou
redlinemotorsportts
Doc Sprocket
Stretch44875
Ariens YT11
k2500life
muddstir
willis923
TheRainbowBoxer
zninja
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 30th 2013, 6:57 pm

I have an Excel-based sheet I do all my calcs with. Reverse calcs and actual speed and RPM measurements reveal it to be dead-on accurate. Give me a chance to bounce some numbers off yours, and we'll go from there. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
zninja
zninja

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 30th 2013, 7:59 pm

Most excellent, thank you sir...
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 30th 2013, 8:38 pm

If you google, you can find online calculators to figure speed/rpm. But, you need the ratio for every gear, belt ratio's, tire circumference, and engine RPM.

I used one for figuring the speeds on our mowers.
Back to top Go down
zninja
zninja

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 30th 2013, 9:49 pm

Yeah. I kind of like to re-invent the wheel and build better mousetraps that suit my particular mouse. I'm funny like that.albino 
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 30th 2013, 10:11 pm

You're not gonna hear ME argue that one! I think I'm becoming famous for it! LOL
-Actually, as far as a speed calc goes, that's exactly what I did- I lifted an existing one off the net and reconfigured it to suit my own needs at the time.
Back to top Go down
zninja
zninja

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 30th 2013, 11:38 pm

So far I have only found some generic cross reference charts which seemed pretty useless to me. Luckily I have plenty of experience writing spreadsheets so I just sat down and figured it out.

I appreciate the cross check as all this gearing business is new to me and although it seems fairly straightforward I want to know that I'm not off base. Particularly with my logic on the jackshaft input and output.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 31st 2013, 8:35 am

Im really digging the lowered look. i like how you stuffed the tires up in the fender, not just flared the fender. Looks fast just sitting there. Paint ideas?
Back to top Go down
zninja
zninja

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 31st 2013, 5:39 pm

I actually widened the fenders 6" to come out and cover the tires. I am loving the square body of this rig. I can't wait to get it done.

Paint - man I am not artistically creative at all. I will probably get some pics into photoshop and do some color overlays and see what strikes me. I will be painting it myself - base/clear.

I do have a friend who does amazing airbrush work I will probably have him throw something interesting on top of my base before I clear.

Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 31st 2013, 8:59 pm

get a mossy oak wrap.. lol
Back to top Go down
zninja
zninja

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 31st 2013, 11:45 pm

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....lol! 
Back to top Go down
zninja
zninja

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 1st 2013, 9:47 am

I am wondering if I can get lower profile tires for the stock front wheels. Any direction on that?

I am thinking about trying to mount a brake rotor and caliper to the jackshaft itself for brake power since braking at the actual axle doesn't look real do-able. Any thoughts on this?

Back to top Go down
cumminsbayou
cumminsbayou

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 1st 2013, 9:51 am

zninja wrote:
I am wondering if I can get lower profile tires for the stock front wheels. Any direction on that?

I am thinking about trying to mount a brake rotor and caliper to the jackshaft itself for brake power since braking at the actual axle doesn't look real do-able. Any thoughts on this?

You may be able to find some tires off bmi karts. The brake set up shouldn't be to hard to figure out, i'd take a 3/4in hub from tractor supply and put it on the axle, then weld a brake disk to the hub and go from there. I'm not sure about the room you have but i've seen it done before.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 1st 2013, 10:22 am

The problem with braking the jackshaft is this: from your jackshaft to your transaxle, you have a belt. If you lose the belt, you lose the brakes. Not too safe, imo.

Instead, consider attaching a brake rotor to the transaxle input pulley.

Regarding the front tires, many race machines including mine use 13x6.50-6 on the front. Many use go kart rims, but they will also fit on factory rims if you prefer.
Back to top Go down
zninja
zninja

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 1st 2013, 11:38 am

That's good and there many actually be enough room back there to mount a rotor. I like it. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 1st 2013, 4:08 pm

It is a very workable solution. When I get the chance (might be spring though) that's exactly what I'm doing to MULE. I do not have enough clearance on the axle to install a big disk brake, and I definitely need to upgrade the brakes.
Back to top Go down
zninja
zninja

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 1st 2013, 6:20 pm

Are you looking at attaching to the pulley itself? Or to the shaft? I guess you could just weld the rotor to the pulley huh?
Back to top Go down
zninja
zninja

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 3rd 2013, 9:26 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:

Regarding the front tires, many race machines including mine use 13x6.50-6 on the front. Many use go kart rims, but they will also fit on factory rims if you prefer.
What would be the best tire for going fast and turning left? Slick, turf or straight ribbed?

Seems to me like the straight ribbed might be best...?
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 4th 2013, 8:25 am

get something like what fearless has on his racer.. ribbed arent meant for speed. turfs cant withstand the forces generated of a racer/hot rod. something like kart tires, but not slicks... if there is any sand or anything like that on your riding surface youre done.. atleast you might be able to save it with treads
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 4th 2013, 11:00 am

I've seen true racers run mini sprint tires.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 4th 2013, 8:27 pm

Besides the belt, braking on the input side of the transaxle has the additional problem of being tied to the gear. If you are in neutral you have zero brakes, ditto if you completely shear shift keys or have other transaxle failure.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
zninja
zninja

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 4th 2013, 10:24 pm

I don't know how to brake this thing any other way without spending a bunch of money which I don't want to do. The trans brake may have flaws but I think it is my best economical bet.
Back to top Go down
Speedfreek241
Speedfreek241

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2013, 6:41 am

Are you still running the stock transaxle.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2013, 8:10 am

One cam always leave the factory brake in place as an emergency brake in case of any failure, and even double as a parking brake.

To do mine, I had simply planned to mock up the trans pulley and the rotor on a dummy shaft to hold them concentric, then zap together. Planning ahead is key though- if you're going to change pulleys any time soon, do it first.

Good turf tires are used very commonly in tractor racing. The favourite choice seems to be Carlisle Turf Masters. The tires that are best for you will depend on the surfaces you will be running on, and the class you are building for, if any.

With that said, many sanctioning bodies mandate that the service brake be mounted directly on the axle- due to the potential safety issue associated with braking the input or jackshaft. My racer uses an axle-mounted brake to comply with said rules.
Back to top Go down
zninja
zninja

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2013, 1:36 pm

Speedfreek241 wrote:
Are you still running the stock transaxle.
Yep.
Back to top Go down
zninja
zninja

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2013, 1:39 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
One cam always leave the factory brake in place as an emergency brake in case of any failure, and even double as a parking brake.

To do mine, I had simply planned to mock up the trans pulley and the rotor on a dummy shaft to hold them concentric, then zap together.  Planning ahead is key though- if you're going to change pulleys any time soon, do it first.

Good turf tires are used very commonly in tractor racing. The favourite choice seems to be Carlisle Turf Masters. The tires that are best for you will depend on the surfaces you will be running on, and the class you are building for, if any.

With that said, many sanctioning bodies mandate that the service brake be mounted directly on the axle- due to the potential safety issue associated with braking the input or jackshaft. My racer uses an axle-mounted brake to comply with said rules.
I'm not racing for real. Once a year at the redneck Olympics, no rules.

The track starts out as grass in the morning, is torn up by 4 wheelers racing and then the mowers run. So its pretty rough.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2013, 2:27 pm

Then I'd call slicks a bad idea...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hot rod mower in the making   mower - hot rod mower in the making - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

hot rod mower in the making
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next