All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Direct replacment ignition coil?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
BlackMountian88
BlackMountian88

Direct replacment ignition coil?  Empty
PostSubject: Direct replacment ignition coil?    Direct replacment ignition coil?  Icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2013, 5:53 pm

Hello everyone, it's been a while, and it's good to be back!

I've been up to a lot, I have 3 new tractors, been building a tractor shed, and doing school. Razz

But here's me recent dilemma. (fyi this may not be the best place for this thread)

I got a 1978 Sears 18-6 (as big as you can get a lawn tractor), with an 18hp Onan twin. I'm not getting spark. After a careful series of careful deduction (sticking multimiter prongs into random holes), I debated that I need a new ignition coil.

Now here's the thing, it's an Onan. A used ignition coil on ebay runs between $50 and $100.

So I'm curious, If I get some different ignition coil, like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gravely-Tractor-Lawn-Mower-8163-T-Onan-B43-16HP-Engine-Ignition-Coil-Not-OEM-/200984830002?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecba12032 With new plug wires, will it still work? Can I just plug any coil in? Maybe even run two single coils?

Thanks for any tips fellows!
~BM88
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Direct replacment ignition coil?    Direct replacment ignition coil?  Icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2013, 6:10 pm

Since it's a 12v powered ignition system rather than a magneto, you may well be able to run two coils in parallel. I think at this point, I'd hit CL or a junkyard, looking atbike and ATV coils. What comes to mind immediately is the coils from my old Honda motorcycles (Shadow and Interceptor)- and many others. These coils provide spark for two cyliders at a time as well. They look like a normal bike coil would, but have a plug wire coming out both ends instead of one.

These coils run a waste-spark system like I believe your twin does (the Briggs do). In a waste spark system, one spark is generated and sent to both cylinders simultaneously. One piston is on the compression stroke, one is exhausting. It is easier and cheaper than implementing a distributor system for such a small engine.
Back to top Go down
BlackMountian88
BlackMountian88

PostSubject: Re: Direct replacment ignition coil?    Direct replacment ignition coil?  Icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2013, 6:25 pm

Ahhh that makes sense.

The thing is, my current coil has two other plugs on top (not the plug wires), one from the batter, and one to the points.

From what I saw, bikes have only one input wire.

I think I'm going to but the one in the link above.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Direct replacment ignition coil?    Direct replacment ignition coil?  Icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2013, 7:56 pm

That essentially comes down to + and -. Some bike coils are mount-grounded, some have two terminals.
Back to top Go down
BlackMountian88
BlackMountian88

PostSubject: Re: Direct replacment ignition coil?    Direct replacment ignition coil?  Icon_minitimeNovember 15th 2013, 8:27 am

I was able to purchase that coil that I mentioned in the original post! Sure hope it works.... But I only paid $10.50 so it's not that bad. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Direct replacment ignition coil?    Direct replacment ignition coil?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Direct replacment ignition coil?
Page 1 of 1