All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Briggs Opposed Twin Governor Problem

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jdclevinger

Briggs Opposed Twin Governor Problem Empty
PostSubject: Briggs Opposed Twin Governor Problem   Briggs Opposed Twin Governor Problem Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2014, 7:56 pm

Ok I just got a Murray wide-body that the motor has been changed out to a opposed Briggs. And at first It would just over rev the motor. I adjusted the throttle cable and now it idles fine. But now it will not idle up. It will move the butterfly fine with the motor turned off. Just not while it is running. The cable is adjusted right. Just its like the governor is not opening up while the motor is running. No clue on how to fix it. And if I throttle it up by hand on the linkage it revs just fine.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Opposed Twin Governor Problem   Briggs Opposed Twin Governor Problem Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2014, 8:46 pm

You'll have to start with a static governor adjustment. Instead of me typing a long winded-thing out- dig into our tech section and download the service manual for your engine. The procedure is very clearly outlined in there. If you have any questions at that point, I'll be more than happy to help.

Also- never judge a governor's operation with the engine off. It is centrifugal. No spin, no function. It is an illusion.
Back to top Go down
jdclevinger

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Opposed Twin Governor Problem   Briggs Opposed Twin Governor Problem Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2014, 8:43 pm

I think that I have found out the problem. Where the mower originally came with a single cylinder motor. The throttle lever on the dash doesn't have enough throw to move the governor all the way open. It has one with the choke built in. I think if I find one with out it should fix it. Finding one is Goin to be the problem. Or just do a gas pedal some day.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Opposed Twin Governor Problem   Briggs Opposed Twin Governor Problem Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2014, 9:40 pm

Interesting. You can always by an aftermarket replacement throttle control and cable assembly, and use that. Heck- buy two, and run the second one to the choke.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Opposed Twin Governor Problem   Briggs Opposed Twin Governor Problem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Briggs Opposed Twin Governor Problem
Page 1 of 1