All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Locked Spicier Hard to Turn!

Go down 
+2
Doug
apollodawg
6 posters
AuthorMessage
apollodawg

Locked Spicier Hard to Turn!  Empty
PostSubject: Locked Spicier Hard to Turn!    Locked Spicier Hard to Turn!  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 12:24 pm

Hey guys I just locked a spicier transaxle and its really hard to turn, i have to put the pulley on just to turn. Is this normal for grease filled transaxles? Should i try and brake it in or pull the cover again. BTW i did it yesterday and it was very cold, does the cold grease have anything to do with it?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Locked Spicier Hard to Turn!    Locked Spicier Hard to Turn!  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 12:58 pm

Axles are probably binding.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Locked Spicier Hard to Turn!    Locked Spicier Hard to Turn!  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 1:51 pm

Did you put the bushings in the case right? on the ends of the gear's shafts, there are bushings with little triangle looking pieces molded off of them. those go into slots in the case, so the bushing doesnt turn with the gear's shaft. if they arnt in the cases slots correctly, when the case is clamped shut it will bind.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Locked Spicier Hard to Turn!    Locked Spicier Hard to Turn!  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 4:54 pm

It certainly is NOT normal. Check the bushings as Red indicated, and cross your fingers that he's right. If not, you may have heat-warped something, rendering it a greasy paperweight.

If the bushing thing doesn't pan out, leave the cover off and turn it by hand while observing things very closely. If somethings warped, you may be able to spot it rising and falling as it turns.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Locked Spicier Hard to Turn!    Locked Spicier Hard to Turn!  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 6:14 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
It certainly is NOT normal. Check the bushings as Red indicated, and cross your fingers that he's right. If not, you may have heat-warped something, rendering it a greasy paperweight.

If the bushing thing doesn't pan out, leave the cover off and turn it by hand while observing things very closely. If somethings warped, you may be able to spot it rising and falling as it turns.

Yeah I agree.  If you take the spiders out to fully weld them after you tack it in the case, you need to make sure they are exactly how they were when they were tacked.  If they are put in different than they were tacked they would rise and fall in the case, thus causing binding.
Back to top Go down
apollodawg

PostSubject: Re: Locked Spicier Hard to Turn!    Locked Spicier Hard to Turn!  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 6:38 pm

ok thanks guys ill check tomorrow. It's my first time locking one and i did it the way fearless did. I nicked one of the teeth on the spider gears with my welder so ill make sure its not touching that tooth and and i'll try switching the gears around and i'll check my bushings too.
Back to top Go down
B440
B440

PostSubject: Re: Locked Spicier Hard to Turn!    Locked Spicier Hard to Turn!  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 9:25 am

Super-tacky grease (usually red in color) can make it harder to turn, but you should be able to rotate the wheels (on the axles) by hand and get the pulley to spin while in gear. No belt on the pulley while trying this.
Locked Spicier Hard to Turn!  053AA101EDCA35A16433268F05899A6C
Back to top Go down
apollodawg

PostSubject: Re: Locked Spicier Hard to Turn!    Locked Spicier Hard to Turn!  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 4:52 pm

i think i fixed it!  The axles were very tight so i took one of the 2 thrust washer off the short side and now it is smooth with very little play.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Locked Spicier Hard to Turn!    Locked Spicier Hard to Turn!  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Locked Spicier Hard to Turn!
Page 1 of 1