All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Speed Build

Go down 
+8
DICE464
redneckcarrow
Jamus
redneckrob
dangeroustoys56
Jordan
redzz02
noledroByrreK
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
noledroByrreK

Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2011, 1:16 pm

alright so if you look about midway down the first page you see my talking about lowering the seat and body to the frame. if you just take off the support holding the body and seat on it will sag and bend the body so here is my plan.

Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Photo029
k so i think im going to cut the body where the red line in then take out the supports and weld the body back together where it sits. its kinda hard to explain but if you understand do u think it will work?

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/noledroByrreK?feature=mhum
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2011, 1:27 pm

Also another thing i have to figure out... and that is brakes. i want to use disk brakes but i need to find some for free or cheap. but i think i can start designing the rotor so im ready when i get them. heres some pics.

Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Photo030
theres no room on the inside for them

Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Photo031
but i think i can fabricate a rotor to fit in between the wheel and frame. i saw this really good idea on a racing mower build and i think i can reproduce it

Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Transa10
he has it mounted on the axle but it goes over the transaxle. i figure if i can do that i can squeeze brakes in there. what do yall think?
Back to top Go down
redzz02
Site VIP
redzz02
Site VIP

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2015
1st Place Winner Build-Off 2015
1st Place Build-Off 2017
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2017
1st Place Build-Off 2018
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2018

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2011, 2:56 pm

hey man, also if you search on heymow.com you can find a build that shows you how you can flip your tranny, ive seen some with the trannys flipped and are low as heck to the ground, just an idea
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2011, 3:02 pm

ha ya that was one of my original ideas that i got from that site but then i learned its a friekin money pit cuz there gear oil is constantly leaking out the input shaft. there constantly having to refill it and have to top it off after every race. and i cant afford to keep refilling it
Back to top Go down
redzz02
Site VIP
redzz02
Site VIP

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2015
1st Place Winner Build-Off 2015
1st Place Build-Off 2017
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2017
1st Place Build-Off 2018
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2018

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2011, 3:05 pm

input shaft seal? they make them for a peerless 700, i dont see why it wouldnt work on your tranny, ive put one on my 700 and hasnt leaked a drop out of the input shaft
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2011, 3:35 pm

they dont make many performance part for this tranny but that would be cool if i can find one. model # 206-545C peerless. i wish i had a peerless 820 because things are like a brick. it comes with 1 inch axles
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2011, 4:36 pm

That pic i posted is someone elses racing tractor- like from a racing website- i gathered a ton of pics of builds for my own ideas.

I see what you mean about the fenders- youre actually going to hack a couple inches out of the pan n weld it back together- i wouldnt bother- id cut the footrests up ( to look 'right' ) and reinforce them to bolt to the chassis- then work on the fenders to also make em look right- then can adjust the fenders where ever y want em and not have the foot rests too high or low.

Do you have any parts tractors lying around? An MTD or craftsman factory footrest would be easier to deal with. as they just bolt to the chassis- separate from the fenders.

Those rotors look like theyre from a small car- id search thru some auto junkyards - one of these days id like to get a disc setup from a small junked car- maybe see if they have any motorcycles.
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2011, 6:09 pm

yea they were pretty big i just wanted that same style though.. how it slides over the tranny.

Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Photo033
so ur thinkin something like this? cutting it along the red line and having 2 separate pieces that way the cut is kinda in a corner and wont be as noticeable.

Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Photo034
im thinkin it will move the body down about 3 inches so i will have to cut that much off. the yellow line would be what im taking off then after i take that chunk out i can weld the red and there yellow line together or keep it as to separate pieces. i think the foot rest would be fine as a desperate piece but i think the top have would be kinda floppy idf it was only hangin on by where the seat is.. idk we shall see
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2011, 6:12 pm

with your shifter where it is it might throw off your shift pattern
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2011, 6:19 pm

it will but that just means i gotta move the plastic pattern thing. it jus pops out so i can cut a rectangle annd move it up a few inches
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2011, 6:21 pm

picked this up at walmart hopefully this will work good in the tranny.

Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Photo035
its 80w-90
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2011, 6:52 pm

can you guys send me the links to the racing tractor sites you know of, i want to go on there to steal ideas for brakes on the new tractor im building
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2011, 6:59 pm

http://www.heymow.com

be careful tho... if you even mention goin anywhere near off road yoor threads will get locked and they wont answer your questions... iv managed to stay under the radar for the last couple months asking a few questions here and there.. haha there snobby to

but it is a amazing source of information
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2011, 7:10 pm

thanks for the warning
i did know that they are snobby but i didnt know anything about them being against offroading
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2011, 7:15 pm

oh yea, when u get on there check how many locked threads are in coffee shop and build section cuz they were bout off roading
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2011, 8:26 pm

redzz02 wrote:
input shaft seal? they make them for a peerless 700, i dont see why it wouldnt work on your tranny, ive put one on my 700 and hasnt leaked a drop out of the input shaft
do you happen to know where i can find a input shaft seal for my tranny? and also what weight oil u using in the tranny?

thanks

oh and i just broke the top 20 posters:)
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2011, 10:15 pm

Im having trouble finding a junkyard/salvage yard near me but i emailed a few places asking if they have any junk atv, motorcycle, dirtbike brakes. hopefully i get a response. i would love to find a place like in junkyard wars war the have mountains of parts. i would be in heaven there:) lol
Back to top Go down
redneckrob
redneckrob

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 2:22 am

noledroByrreK wrote:
Im having trouble finding a junkyard/salvage yard near me but i emailed a few places asking if they have any junk atv, motorcycle, dirtbike brakes. hopefully i get a response. i would love to find a place like in junkyard wars war the have mountains of parts. i would be in heaven there:) lol

cant think of the names off the top of my head but theres a few motorcycle/ dirt bike/ gas scooter scrap parts stos up near northeast ftw
Back to top Go down
redneckrob
redneckrob

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 2:26 am

ive got that same problem, i just want a simple auto salvage yard, but no, all we got is them up towards sherman that are hugely beautiful but, an hour or two away. but im a bit more lucky cause ive got johnson county which is full of junk and rednecks

But you gotta know people aNd have money (i have neither)
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 7:05 am

im lucky to have 2 large auto junkyards nearby- just need to run out there sometime.

About the cut fenders- actually the way the racers set it up is they build the tractor, then make the fenders fit the tractor - ill need to adjust my MTD fenders, they run really close to the rear tires.

yeah hey mow is where i get my info - you can see all the builds and pics as a guest - i used to be registered years ago, but once i slipped n said ' im not racing my tractor- tracks are over 3 hrs away' i was pretty much blocked after that. I wouldnt register if i were you.

Its funny that they say its a 'cheep family orientated sport' - i dont think so- most are snobby, specially the forum heads- if it doesnt relate to actual racing- they dont want to hear it.

From what ive seen to make machines like they do- you have to drop at least $4000-$5000 or more for the super mods ( they dump $8000 or more into those motors alone) . Most get thier money from big time sponsors.

In my nearly stock murray mod i had almost $400 into it - cost of the tractor ( $75) , the upgraded twin ( $50), wheels ($40 for all 4) and hubs ( $45 each) and pulleys ($25 for the motor pulley). That dont sound cheep to me.

Actually ive considered the whole tractor building an experement- after seeing all these racers dumping thousands into souped up motors, im like wondering if a plain stock opposed twin, using the governer , can exceed 50mph ( which is the limit im aiming for - its fast enough) - on the murray i know it was well over 30 almost 40mph - because the end of the street ( i dont suggest that) came up mighty fast when i ran it. I couldve went faster, tractor was just too unstable to do it tho.

Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 9:49 am

redneckrob wrote:
noledroByrreK wrote:

cant think of the names off the top of my head but theres a few motorcycle/ dirt bike/ gas scooter scrap parts stos up near northeast ftw
ill have to look em up. i think i think found one bout 40 minutes south of me. i might have to make a trip down there.

oh i know there always sayin its a cheap sport but they dont even get payed to race. the dump $9k into a racer and get nothing back. they are right about one thing though. its probably the cheapest sport that you can race on a national level. but i cant think of any national sports that you dont get payed to do.

what do you mean by makin the fender fit the tractor? without cutting them? that woul be nice if i could do that. but i dont mind cuttin them an rewelding them. i was gonna ground down the welds and repaint it anyway

so far im sittin at around 80$ in the tractor but i got the tractor for free. i dont even mind some spendin money its just that i dont have any.. lol i need a job
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 10:18 am

Front - Speed Build - Page 2 HPIM1801
heres a pic of arild365 tractor TORQUE and i really like the idea he had from keepin brush from his feet and legs. i think i want something like that but as something that will help keep me in around turns so im not sliding around and stuff. i also like the low profile front bumper its not huge but it keeps the grille safe i think i want one like that.

Good job arild365. nice vids also

i just realized that if i lowered the body i would have to move the gear template thingy. say if i mowed it 3 inshes down that would be about 2 gears off so i can take the gear change thing that connects it to the tranny and move it it into the correct gear with a wrench then put the connetor back on.. problem solved:)
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 12:15 pm

Basically cut the fenders to fit the tractor - i did that on my MTD- had to hack quite a bit out to make em sit flat - they still need some tweeking- i cut em up and bolted em down for now , ill clean it up later when i get it mostly finished- i also have another MTD im messing with - i took some time and cut the fenders a bit better - the seat on that is also bolted to the chassis. For looks kinda clean up the cuts and make it look presentable - not all just hacked up.

Most the parts off my murray are going to other projects ( altho im going to redo the murray someday into a mild mod)- the rear wheels went onto my agway for a taller stance, the motor is going to the MTD, the wheels/hubs are going to the eventual wheelhorse project. I bot all new stuff for the wizard - hubs, rims, axle, berings , brakes, tie rod , tire tubes and go kart clutch- i think that was around $200 for that stuff . I need to get some steel tho for reinforcing the chassis .

Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 12:38 pm

ugh... im still super confused on what ur talkin about:( sorry
ur talkin bout something different then my original plan right?
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 1:04 pm

oh btw thanks dangeroustoys56 for all the help:) i thought more people would be intrested in this build but its seems to just be you, theboredredneck, and redneckrob... haha
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 2:20 pm

Alright so i will be moving my build up to the school shop sometime this week so the real work can begin:)

Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Photo036

Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Photo037
front grille is cracked up pretty bad. any suggestions on how to repair it? thinkin i might just cover with strong tape and paint over

Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Photo038
topped off the gas so i have plenty to run it in the shop

Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Photo039
looks pretty good. i like the shiny white rims:)

Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Photo041
i did some cleaning up ... all the tools loose bolts and parts gathered up and i washed the whole thing down. its ready to go now

Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Photo042
threw the tarp back on to keep it safe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   Front - Speed Build - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Speed Build
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next