All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

foote transmission trouble

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
thewisconsinredneck5160
thewisconsinredneck5160

transmission - foote transmission trouble Empty
PostSubject: foote transmission trouble   transmission - foote transmission trouble Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2015, 8:50 pm

I have a spicer 4360-9 trans in the back of my murray and It isnt shifting into gears properly.
I can put it into neutral from a higher gear and it will be in first gear. I have to cycle it around to get it to go into neutral
It does the same with reverse and neutral too.
When I am reversing i have to push it all the way over otherwise it doesn't do anything
when it is in other gears it is really sloppy and the shift lever has a lot of slop.
I think it might be the shift keys or something not sure any help is appreciated
Back to top Go down
crafsmankiller

PostSubject: Re: foote transmission trouble   transmission - foote transmission trouble Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2015, 9:00 pm

Im pretty sure i know what your problem is. Where the shift lever bolts to the shifter shaft on the transmission, the piece that bolts on to the shaft wears out and develops alot of slack and slop. I had the problem and it was nearly impossible to find neutral and itd randomly jump into gear, all because the thing was worn out
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: foote transmission trouble   transmission - foote transmission trouble Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2015, 9:18 am

The first step here is external observation. While moving the shifter (this will likely require help) stick your head underneath and see what is and is not moving correctly. And slop should be pretty obvious. If it's not, disconnect all the linkages and try moving just the shift rod on the tranny with a wrench, again feeloing for slop. If it is still hit-and-miss, open it up.
Back to top Go down
thewisconsinredneck5160
thewisconsinredneck5160

PostSubject: Re: foote transmission trouble   transmission - foote transmission trouble Icon_minitimeApril 6th 2015, 9:23 pm

thanks for the help guys i appreciate it I did what you suggested and now it is allot more precise now. The problem was that it was too loose on the top and screwing down helped more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: foote transmission trouble   transmission - foote transmission trouble Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

foote transmission trouble
Page 1 of 1