All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Oppose Briggs Vertical to horizontal

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Outlaw77

briggs - Oppose Briggs Vertical to horizontal Empty
PostSubject: Oppose Briggs Vertical to horizontal   briggs - Oppose Briggs Vertical to horizontal Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2018, 2:12 pm

Alright people, I'm in need of information.
I have a Briggs 20hp pressure lube vertical shaft opposed twin. What I need is I'm formation on how to convert this engine to a horizontal shaft for a pulling tractor that I'm building.
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts!
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
1st Place Build-Off 2019
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2019

PostSubject: Re: Oppose Briggs Vertical to horizontal   briggs - Oppose Briggs Vertical to horizontal Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2018, 3:53 pm

Well you would need a different intake manifold to get the carb to sit the right way when the engine is flipped up. You could make one yourself if you're handy with the fab work but it'd probably be easier to try and find one from a horizontal.

You'd also need to make the hole in the block for the horizontal style oil dipstick, and plug the spot were the original one was.

Lasty you'd need to figure out a way to bolt it down to the tractor frame, as the mounting tabs obviously won't work once it's flipped up. The base for a horizontal shaft oppy might bolt right to where the inspection plate is on the vertical oppy, but I'm not positive.

That's all I can think of, I'm not sure if there's much else involved but I don't think so.

"This'll either wake you up or put you to sleep forever!"- Red Green         "Whatever you do you should do right, even if it's something wrong." - Hank Hill

- MTD Off-Road Build
      - Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
      - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road Build
       - Sears LT11 Rat Rod Build *2019 Build-Off Winner!*

Garden Tractor Collection: Allis B-110 x2, 710, 716, & 410 - Wheel Horse 655, 953 & 500 Special - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic, G10 & 1668 Diesel Swapped - Cub 106, 124 & 1000/149 Frankentractor - Ford 120, LGT 125 & 145 - White 1650 Yard Boss - Moto Mower 710-100
Back to top Go down
Outlaw77

PostSubject: Re: Oppose Briggs Vertical to horizontal   briggs - Oppose Briggs Vertical to horizontal Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2018, 4:42 pm

I got the base plate and intake off of a horizontal that was blown up and everything fits up right, but y main problem is being the pressure lubes oil pump. I need an idea on how to make an oil pickup or some other way to have to engine have oil pressure.
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Oppose Briggs Vertical to horizontal   briggs - Oppose Briggs Vertical to horizontal Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2018, 8:39 pm

Is there a way to change the oil pickup in the crankcase some how?  One crazy idea is to convert it to a dry sump system.
Back to top Go down
Outlaw77

PostSubject: Re: Oppose Briggs Vertical to horizontal   briggs - Oppose Briggs Vertical to horizontal Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2018, 9:27 pm

A dry sump system would be interesting but it would be kind of overkill for what I'm doing. I'm not doing anything perfesional, it just a few people around my are that like to get together and do some pulls.

I would rather modify it for the least amount of money considering I only payed $20 for the engine and a dry sump would just be overkill and the price of the parts would cost way more than what I have into project right now.
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Oppose Briggs Vertical to horizontal   briggs - Oppose Briggs Vertical to horizontal Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2018, 9:00 pm

I converted a 6hp Tecumseh that was pressure lubed from a vertical to a horizontal shaft engine for my APU (auxiliary power unit). Still runs strong today after 10 years of off and on use. I don't know how your engine block looks on the inside but this info should help. From the post above sounds like you got the intake parts, so I will skip that.

I'll tell you what I did with my engine. I tore the block down. The pickup for the oil pump was on the oil sump, which is the mount for the engine to frame (vertical). With the engine shaft going horizontal would put the oil pump pickup up above the oil level on the side of the block along with the mounting surface to frame. I drilled a hole in the screen so a tube can run from the screen down to the NOW bottom of the engine. I mocked up the engine crank, rod, cam, and piston to check for clearance with the tube in place. All was good on clearance. To get the new pickup to work, I epoxied the screen with the tube in place so it doesn't move and the screen was clogged for the suction to go to the new pickup tube. I was still able to bolt it back into place for future maintenance with the original screw. I wasn't too worried about a screen on the new pickup. Then to bolt the engine to a frame I just drilled holes in the case and threaded them. Made a plate to use to bolt to the engine and red locktited the bolts to the engine since they wasn't coming back out and needed to be sealed so oil don't seep through, and another mock up to see if the bolts sticking through didn't hit anything. The engine plate then can be used to bolt engine to a frame. The engine plate was made so crankshaft was level too. This put the oil fill at the top of the block, so I drilled a hole in the oil fill cap and epoxied a dipstick in it to check oil level and marked the dipstick with a full mark. My engine held 1 quart before and guessed that on the new dipstick in the horizontal position. If your oil fill is in a bad position, then I would suggest to drill and tap a hole off to the side for a short bolt and attach a dipstick to the bolt by drilling a hole and epoxy a dipstick in that. The bolt would seal good enough for that. Everything that gets splash lubed will get splash lubed because parts are still spinning inside engine block and that part doesn't matter what position the engine block is in. The valve cover breathers will still work as long as they are on top or on the side of the engine too, but will not work right if on the bottom of the engine. Mods need to be made if the breathers end up on the bottom.

Sorry no picks, like I said, 10 years ago.
Back to top Go down
Outlaw77

PostSubject: Re: Oppose Briggs Vertical to horizontal   briggs - Oppose Briggs Vertical to horizontal Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2018, 2:13 pm

Thanks, i did pick up a horizontal base for my engine so I'm going to be tearing into it next weekend and cleaning it up inside and out and hopefully your idea will work
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oppose Briggs Vertical to horizontal   briggs - Oppose Briggs Vertical to horizontal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oppose Briggs Vertical to horizontal
Page 1 of 1