All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

future build off mower project build ( unique build )

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
loggers gogert
loggers gogert

2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Empty
PostSubject: future build off mower project build ( unique build )   future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2020, 11:58 am

alright guys, if your here please read all of this and don't skip...

so i have recently acumilted a rear engined mower, and i would like to enter it into the build off, not any time soon due to it will be a long term project, and i plan to spend a lot of money on this build.

i have been doing a lot of thinking, and i want this to be a clean build, so good paint job/restored, no wires all over the place, also no cutting deck, and of course it has to perform Very Happy.
the type of build would be a-.............okay before i get into that lets give an idea first, think of a farm tractor, like the BIG $100k+ ones, you know how you can like put a whole bunch of different attachments on it? like the soil things ( sorry i don't know what there called ) and the seed planters, and the mower, and the fertilizer, and you can just slip them right on the front or back?

i want my mower to be like that, but of course i won't have a fertilizer and soil breaker things...

instead i would make a mount on the front and back to attach things, the things i would attach on the front ( everything will be homemade ) would be for example a snow plow, and a slip on winch on a heavy duty bumper, and maybe
and on the back would be a truck bed,  a lawn striper maybe, and maybe one of those spikes that lower down into the dirt and make rows so you can plant plants ( probably won't use it but it'll be for show rabbit )
 and many more that ill probably think of along the way.

and all of these attachments will have the same holes as each other so they will all fit on a homage mount on the front/back of the mower.
but the one attachment that will impress the most is the 2nd pair of wheels on the back WITH another tranny AND another engine, so it will be like a 6x6 but just the front wheels won't be propelled by a power source, so its technically a 6x4.

now i know what you guys are thinking, "how the heck is this kid going to pull THAT off?"
very carefully thats how. and if you want more explanation on how ill do that just ask and ill explain it better.
but the best thing about THAT, is its going to be "snap on" also.
so ill just slip it in a bracket, put a pin in, connect a rod from MY original shift lever to the "snap on" power sources transmission and then hook the throttle cable up to it so my foot throttle will be controlling both engines.
but the one thing I'm stuck on is how am i going to make my clutch pedal do the "clutch" motion on both of the power sources from the same pedal.

i AM dedicated and this is GOING to happen.

i have many more ideas for this and will be happy to explain them if someone asks, theres another idea that would be AWESOME but ill probably never be able to pull it off.
heres a summary of that idea:

an emergency vehicle, now what i mean by that is the second power surge that i was taking about since it already has an engine, a tranny, a clutch, and rear wheels, and its on its own "frame", i could just fabricate front steering wheels to drop down when i want to use it as its own vehicle, for "emergency", so basically if my main mower broke down, since the attachment is "snap on" i could just un pin it, disconnect the throttle linkage, disconnect the shif lever linkage, drop the wheels down, and since there will be no throttle, shif lever, clutch on it when i disconnect it from the main mower, i will already have some on the half frame that the extra power source is on, so i can just connect those and its like i have my own little 12.5 hp go kart Very Happy.....

now i know that part was confusing, bu once again just ask and i can explain it more...
and even so, that "emergency" vehicle idea, i would probably never do, but it was just an idea....
and if i DO it, it will take a lot of time and fabricating...

hopefully i will get some responses so y'all can help me with this.

Edit: theres a couple details i forgot like i would like to have a RPM gauge and a MPH gauge, but thats for another time...

and i know if said this like 3 times in this, but I'm going to say it again:
i know how I've explained things is confusing, and if you done understand just ask and ill be happy to explain it better...
Back to top Go down
loggers gogert
loggers gogert

2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: future build off mower project build ( unique build )   future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2020, 12:03 pm

tell me what y'all think ^^^^^^^
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2020 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: future build off mower project build ( unique build )   future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2020, 2:13 pm

i can see how with what you want to do the clutch will be an issue, how is the drive system on the mower you have designed, and the clutch itself, is it a rod going back or cable , where does it sit in the frame and can you connect to it, in my opinion a cable, like a go cart brake cable, would be the easiest choice for a clutch going to the rear drives clutch, but this depends on the clutch and how it operates on the mower you have, if it pulls forward then no problem, but if it actually pulls backward then the cable routing will have to be changed so it's pulled, a cable can be bent and curved around things without much trouble, it will take some thinking to work out the details but otherwise not that hard, to make it detachable from the main chassis you can run a bar or a similar cable to a point at the back of the frame where it stays then run the co kart brake cable back to the secondary clutch
future build off mower project build ( unique build ) 517-WAXKo-QZL-AC-SL1280
with the eyelets on each end like this one and with it being threaded with nuts it would be easy to route and tie up out of the way, this will also make it easy to connect to the emergency vehicle you mentioned hope this helped some to give you some ideas
Back to top Go down
loggers gogert
loggers gogert

2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: future build off mower project build ( unique build )   future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2020, 2:23 pm

soon... lets say i DID pull everything i wanted to do off.

what do you think my chances would be winning the build off?Very Happy
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: future build off mower project build ( unique build )   future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2020, 6:54 pm

i really couldn't say, it depends on the other entries and the mood of the voters to be honest, i entered this years build off as a motivator, so i'm useing it as something to get me out and working on my project i've been putting it off for over a year and i don't expect to win, but finishing it will be enough of a win for me, you have some cool ideas and i think if you can pull them off you should have a good chance at placing at least
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: future build off mower project build ( unique build )   future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2020, 7:22 pm

Like @darkside0914 said. Just a reminder build-offs run from Feb 1 till Nov 30 11:59PM. That sounds like a lot of work, so you would need to use your time wisely.

future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Sig214future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Sig314
Back to top Go down
loggers gogert
loggers gogert

2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: future build off mower project build ( unique build )   future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Icon_minitimeMarch 12th 2020, 8:28 pm

Alright guys, in my area the has gas prices have been dropping drastically, and dropping every day..
Wouldn't be surprised if it went under 1.20....

Speaking of, what's the benefit of running like for exple Shells premium gas ( their most expensive gas )
??????
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: future build off mower project build ( unique build )   future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Icon_minitimeMarch 12th 2020, 8:37 pm

Personally not much.

future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Sig214future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Sig314
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: future build off mower project build ( unique build )   future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Icon_minitimeMarch 12th 2020, 9:36 pm

you would have to build a real performance engine to see any gains from running premium gas, in a stock or close to stock engine there won't be enough of a difference to be noticable
Back to top Go down
loggers gogert
loggers gogert

2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: future build off mower project build ( unique build )   future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2020, 10:28 am

alright guys, remember the MTD i was talking about?
yesterday i just took everything off until it was bare chassis
it took everything off incl:
dash, fender assembly, trans, steering wheel, engine, gas tank, electronics...etc.

i was thinking i keep that fender assembly off because it weighs A TON, and ill keep the front grill removed and the 2 bars that support the grill, and ill take off all the unnecessary brackets for the deck, and the whole deck raise/lower assembly....bECauSe wEIgHt rEdUcTIoN bRO.

the deck raise/lower assembly itself sighs like 10 pounds, so just imagine what EVERYTHING taken off will weigh.

of course ill keep the plastic dash on there, the gas tank, electronics, and the hood, because the hoods plastic, and since there will be no grill and those 2 bars, ill just make my own lightweight engine frame/cover.

so my final build will look like a mower in the front and look like a skeleton in the back.

but besides that what do you guys think i should paint it?
i was thinking maybe a bright green chassis, purple wheels, and maybe some other small stuff painted purple and call it "the hulk"
i know if it were a car those colors would look HIDIUS, but i don't know what it would look like on a mower....

what would y'all suggest?
Back to top Go down
loggers gogert
loggers gogert

2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: future build off mower project build ( unique build )   future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2020, 12:09 pm

alright, another question...
with the things I'm doing as stated in the reply above ^^.... obviously i would like my build to be very clean and professional on my MTD, other mods that i think would add to the cool factor, is pushbutton start, RPM and MPH gauge.
now, about the RPM gauge, where can i get one that will work for my 2cyl, and how will i do it?
remember, i would like this to be a gauge and not digital, as for digital gauges aren't as accurate/smooth as a classic gauge when revving up and down.
Back to top Go down
loggers gogert
loggers gogert

2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: future build off mower project build ( unique build )   future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2020, 1:00 pm

alright guys, an update:

the 6x4 i was talking about, i won't even START building it until we move to our new property that has more land.

BUT, i will enter my MTD into the build off :big grin:
Back to top Go down
loggers gogert
loggers gogert

2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: future build off mower project build ( unique build )   future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2020, 8:45 pm

hello?
i really need yalls opinions on the above questions...........Laughing
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: future build off mower project build ( unique build )   future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2020, 10:55 pm

What tools do you have?
Back to top Go down
loggers gogert
loggers gogert

2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: future build off mower project build ( unique build )   future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2020, 11:05 pm

every thing from a socket wrench to a sand blaster,
i bought my own basic tools but my dad has every thing under the sun
Back to top Go down
loggers gogert
loggers gogert

2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: future build off mower project build ( unique build )   future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2020, 11:08 pm

why u ask???
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: future build off mower project build ( unique build )   future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2020, 11:13 pm

You planning on a lot of work to do. Maybe keep it to building the mower and 1 pto attachment for the build off. Wondering what kind of tools you have, to see if you can do what you plan to do in the time frame. Having the special tools to do the specific job help.
Back to top Go down
loggers gogert
loggers gogert

2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: future build off mower project build ( unique build )   future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2020, 11:20 pm

no no no no..... im not doing that idea, i strictly said above that it will take a lot of time and i wont do it until like next year.

the mower im NOW talking about is the mower that i was talking about in my very first thread.
my mtd riding mower
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: future build off mower project build ( unique build )   future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2020, 12:25 am

Oh, OK.
Back to top Go down
loggers gogert
loggers gogert

2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: future build off mower project build ( unique build )   future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2020, 2:08 am

did you read the reply on the paint for the mower and the rpm/mph gauge?
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: future build off mower project build ( unique build )   future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2020, 2:22 am

You can get a digital rpm gauge cheap on Ebay or Amazon. I think nobody makes a mechanical sweep gauge for these small engines unless you use an old one off a motorcycle and retro fit it which is a nightmare to do right. MPH, you can just use a phone with an app for a reading. Really no use to know the mph other then being curious and you can just use a phone for that. For the paint, you can get the paint used for cars pretty easily from your local auto part store and use hvlp paint gun to spray it on for a good paint job.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: future build off mower project build ( unique build )   future build off mower project build ( unique build ) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

future build off mower project build ( unique build )
Page 1 of 1