All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

New dude from North Central Florida

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dapfury
Dapfury

New dude from North Central Florida Empty
PostSubject: New dude from North Central Florida   New dude from North Central Florida Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2020, 10:05 am

Dap here. IT guy by day, bored out of my mind married man by night. I've been innocent bystander into trail and mud mowing for about two years now and finally decided to dive in. Looking forward to networking <-see what I did there with a lot of you here to get my project up and running. I have a lot of questions especially about being weldless since I have no experience with it nor would I buy something I would never use later. I have recently got me a nice Murray with a 14.5hp B&S to kick things off. I know my way around an engine, but I'm no mechanic. New dude from North Central Florida 2731072446

So here are my first question: Anyone have some solid wheel hub suggestions (remember, weldless) that I can just mount up and upgrade my tires?
Back to top Go down
Dapfury
Dapfury

PostSubject: Re: New dude from North Central Florida   New dude from North Central Florida Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2020, 10:29 am

New dude from North Central Florida Murray

Don't know what to name her yet
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New dude from North Central Florida   New dude from North Central Florida Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2020, 12:34 pm

Welcome!

Far as the rear end is concerned, they make some nice 8 inch ATV tires and you can use your stock rim.

Here are some 22's I had on mine.
New dude from North Central Florida Avi10

Far as fronts.. easiest would be to do the same, but if you wanted taller, there are some weldless options.  You can get some 8inch front wheels and re-bearing them for the spindle if needed.  I personally got some gokart 4on4 hubs with the correct spindle sized bearing.  I had to use a pipe cutter to trim it to size, but seems to work well.

New dude from North Central Florida 07291710

New dude from North Central Florida Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
New dude from North Central Florida Sig214New dude from North Central Florida Sig314
Back to top Go down
Dapfury
Dapfury

PostSubject: Re: New dude from North Central Florida   New dude from North Central Florida Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2020, 2:43 pm

Awesome! Thank you. Gonna start the tear down tonight.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2020 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2020 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: New dude from North Central Florida   New dude from North Central Florida Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2020, 10:13 pm

@Dapfury if you're looking for rears as well go power sports has a 3/4 bore keyed hub with a 4on4 bolt pattern, however i would not suggest going bigger than a 23in tire on the transaxle under that murray, other than that for added strength replace all the self tapping bolts with bolts and nuts, this will help prevent any of them from ripping the threads out, and make plans to reinforce the dash mounts, they have a nasty habit of breaking, particularly the 2 front mounts, no need to weld, but you can use a strip of steel with holes drilled for the bolts that run along the inside of the dash where it meets the body pan on either side
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New dude from North Central Florida   New dude from North Central Florida Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2020, 11:23 pm

These are the bolts @darkside0914 is talking about on the steering tower.

New dude from North Central Florida Img_2361

I used bolts with nuts and lock nuts. I also on the top purchased some fender washers for the corner bolts and just regular washers on the access door side.

As far as frame goes, I also replaced all the self tappers like @darkside0914 said for the frame bolts with nuts and washers.

New dude from North Central Florida Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
New dude from North Central Florida Sig214New dude from North Central Florida Sig314
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New dude from North Central Florida   New dude from North Central Florida Icon_minitimeDecember 22nd 2020, 12:43 pm

I third what @MightyRaze and @darkside0914 said. The dash bolts are always an issue. If they aren't broken, they will. So make sure you reinforce the dash.

I changed 90% of the self-tappers on mine. Definitely worth it. It'll literally fall apart within a year if the bolts aren't changed.
Back to top Go down
Dapfury
Dapfury

PostSubject: Re: New dude from North Central Florida   New dude from North Central Florida Icon_minitimeDecember 22nd 2020, 6:53 pm

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. Sorry I haven't posted in a minute. I have been waiting for parts and all to come in. She's coming along but it's slow. The holidays have me tied up but here is what I'm dealing with.

New dude from North Central Florida Image0
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New dude from North Central Florida   New dude from North Central Florida Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New dude from North Central Florida
Page 1 of 1