All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Wheel Horse rear hub

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Hot Lap
Hot Lap

horse - Wheel Horse rear hub Empty
PostSubject: Wheel Horse rear hub   horse - Wheel Horse rear hub Icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2020, 9:22 am

Well, folks it happened. I was pulling the transaxle from my B-80 to lock it and replace the axle seals. (I just picked this tractor up for my first legit off roader, so work in progress) Hubs must come off, One was already worked all the way over to the trans housing, came off like butter. Now I'm no hack, proper tool for the proper job and all. Saw that the other was still in place. Experience has told me A: penetrating oil...wait. B: penetrate again......wait and remove set bolts. C: apply heat to hub. D: grab your puller and gently break the hub into a million freaking pieces!!!! E: swear, smash fingers, smash hub with hammer, get bigger hammer, go inside swear some more about this stupid hobby........stop...have a beer, swear under your breathe, go back out to the garage , defy the laws of physics and get the hub removed!! F: go online and swear because a used hub is $50! I love this stuff!!
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Horse rear hub   horse - Wheel Horse rear hub Icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2020, 12:40 pm

Yep... sounds about right!

horse - Wheel Horse rear hub Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
horse - Wheel Horse rear hub Sig214horse - Wheel Horse rear hub Sig314
Back to top Go down
Hot Lap
Hot Lap

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Horse rear hub   horse - Wheel Horse rear hub Icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2020, 2:48 pm

@MightyRaze Haha, know anyone that has any laying around? for under $50-$60.
Back to top Go down
BlakeGroce
BlakeGroce

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Horse rear hub   horse - Wheel Horse rear hub Icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2020, 9:06 pm

Oooof. Well I've seen this happen with a couple of people. Honestly if it was me I'd probably see if I couldnt find a set of good steel ones, or maybe make a set if that's an option? Cast iron hubs work great dont get me wrong but it just seems that they have more issues with the set screw threads blowing out and the key ways getting chewed up, but that would probably cost more than buying a used one. Just keep in mind that If it's a twin stick 6 speed I'm pretty sure most if not all have 1 1/8th axles and if it's a single stick 3 speed it has 1 inch axles. You probably already know this but some folks might not and sell you the wrong hub if you buy it online.

My only other idea is If it's got 1 inch axles you might be able to use hubs from a different garden tractor....might be cheaper. There might be another tractor that has 1 1/8th axles too but I dont know any off the top of my head. hmm
Back to top Go down
Hot Lap
Hot Lap

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Horse rear hub   horse - Wheel Horse rear hub Icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2020, 9:15 pm

@BlakeGroce oh I've looked.....replacement steel ones $100 each. I'll figure something out. I still have a lot of work that I can do. Just picked up a 1970 Kokler k301 engine today, got to get that going.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Horse rear hub   horse - Wheel Horse rear hub Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wheel Horse rear hub
Page 1 of 1