All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Need input on 4 on 4 hub conversion, wheels, and larger front tires

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Zzeke

Need input on 4 on 4 hub conversion, wheels, and larger front tires Empty
PostSubject: Need input on 4 on 4 hub conversion, wheels, and larger front tires   Need input on 4 on 4 hub conversion, wheels, and larger front tires Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2021, 3:17 pm

Howdy,

2nd post in the forum.

I have a tractor that I'm giving some off road treatment for my dad. He's 78 and needs something that he can ride around our property, and from his workshop to home and whatnot.

I came across a husqvarna YTH2242A tractor for a good price since the guy didn't have a deck for it and had used it to haul his wood wagon. Hydrostatic trans I'm going to replace with an MST 206-545c that I bought last weekend.

So, my questions are about putting ATV tires on it, and doing a 4 on 4 front hub conversion.

The rear tires on there right now, are 20 x 10 x 8. I think I'd like them a little taller, like 22 I think I could do without having to hack the fenders.

For the fronts, what do you guys do? I was going to buy some 8" wheels to replace the 6" on there, but really I'd like the tires in the front to be as big as the rears, but narrower. Like a quad. I figure the bigger the tires, and running them at a lower pressure the ride will be more comfy for the old man. I guess with the hub conversion I could run just about any size wheel...... Of course the width and offset will be important so that I can still have some decent steering angle without rubbing.

Thoughts, advice?

Much appreciated

Zzeke
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Need input on 4 on 4 hub conversion, wheels, and larger front tires   Need input on 4 on 4 hub conversion, wheels, and larger front tires Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2021, 3:25 pm

You’ll probably want a custom front axle. If you can source a complete golf cart axle to shorten, that will give you some hubs, spindles, good bearings, and the knuckles to work with. Bonus, stock golf cart wheels are 8”
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Need input on 4 on 4 hub conversion, wheels, and larger front tires   Need input on 4 on 4 hub conversion, wheels, and larger front tires Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2021, 7:13 pm

Another option...

I run 4 on 4 gokart hubs from bmikart and replace with the bearing size needed.  I think they come with 5/8 bore bearing, but you can replace with a 3/4 one if your spindles are that size.  I had to trim about 1/4 to 1/2 inch off them to fit with stock retainer.  I think gopowersports have them too.

Need input on 4 on 4 hub conversion, wheels, and larger front tires Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Need input on 4 on 4 hub conversion, wheels, and larger front tires Sig214Need input on 4 on 4 hub conversion, wheels, and larger front tires Sig314

JB_4x4 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Zzeke

PostSubject: Re: Need input on 4 on 4 hub conversion, wheels, and larger front tires   Need input on 4 on 4 hub conversion, wheels, and larger front tires Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2021, 8:51 pm

Thanks for the tips, gents. Much appreciated.

I like the idea of just using different bearings, and I hadn't thought of trimming the housing to get it to fit as stock - clever.

I can see though, if it was going to be ridden hard may want to have a look at beefier axle. Was thinking of doing that at some point for the old man, if I could figure out some sort of suspension.

The smart and thrifty thing to do is use golf cart wheels. I can buy them powdered black for less money than I could get the ones I have powdered black.

I think next step is to get the hubs and do some test fitting.

Thanks again gents.

Zz
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Need input on 4 on 4 hub conversion, wheels, and larger front tires   Need input on 4 on 4 hub conversion, wheels, and larger front tires Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2021, 10:12 pm

Welcome to the forum! If you aren’t opposed to keeping the stock rims you can put in ball bearings if the spindles are in good condition or put on new spindles for 30 or so for a set. Bearings I think are about 20 for a set of 4. You can put ATV tires on a GT rim. Got any pictures? Smile
Back to top Go down
Zzeke

PostSubject: Re: Need input on 4 on 4 hub conversion, wheels, and larger front tires   Need input on 4 on 4 hub conversion, wheels, and larger front tires Icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2021, 9:37 am

Rustbucket Garage wrote:
Welcome to the forum! If you aren’t opposed to keeping the stock rims you can put in ball bearings if the spindles are in good condition or put on new spindles for 30 or so for a set. Bearings I think are about 20 for a set of 4. You can put ATV tires on a GT rim. Got any pictures? Smile

Thanks Rusty! That's is a good tip.

Kinda leaning toward replacing all the wheels with golf cart wheels, for simplicity and cost. I do want a larger tire in front for lower pressure passive suspension if you get my drift.

I think I found some hubs I like, need to see if my spindles are long enough to try them. I'll throw some gussets on them for a little added reinforcement.

Thanks!

Zk

Rustbucket Garage likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need input on 4 on 4 hub conversion, wheels, and larger front tires   Need input on 4 on 4 hub conversion, wheels, and larger front tires Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need input on 4 on 4 hub conversion, wheels, and larger front tires
Page 1 of 1