All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson

Go down 
+8
MN mudder
Fastman
TheBeal
Budget_gokart
Murraymountain
Rustbucket Garage
MightyRaze
Nevadablue
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2021, 9:35 am

What are you thinking for a nose/ hood? Or do you plan to leave the front open and mount the lights to the frame? Wheelbarrow looks good on there Smile

Nevadablue likes this post

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2021, 11:06 am

Thanks! Right now the plan is to leave the engine exposed, with a firewall behind it and a grill in front of it. Headlights mounted on some sort of stalk.
The project is mostly sidelined right now, for a few days due to ‘house projects’. But I am still collecting tools and parts and trying to set up the work place as I get time.

Rustbucket Garage likes this post

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2021, 2:58 pm

I stole a few minutes and took the seat off the old MTD rig. Looks perfect. That makes the seat height proper and allows the jack shaft to stick up above the floor if necessary.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 7048ee10

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 E9cad910

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2021, 3:57 pm

The seat almost looks like a wheelbarrow tub inside a wheelbarrow tub. I love it, lol!

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2021, 6:36 pm

Today’s ‘progress’ was cutting wood blocks to prop the frame up on the jig table. I plan to block it up, clamp down the rear end and cut the thing in half just in front of the opening in the frame, at the rear. Then the front will get moved 18” forward and clamped in place with reinforcing bars to hold it straight while welding in the extension piece.
One of these days...

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2021, 7:02 pm

It’s about to get serious here. I ordered a bunch of metal cutting wheels and an electric cutoff tool from HF. The 3/4x4x4 hubs are ordered for the transaxle.
I’m about to pull the trigger on an air compressor and some tools. Wish me luck. I may be sleeping in the camper... Shocked
The wiring for the welding machines (tig-stick/mig/stick) is stretched around the shop. I need to make the connections and hang the wire overhead under the loft.

Oh, MOAR parts! My neighbor gave me a bunch of stuff including two Ford running boards. Those are shiny, anodized ALUMINUM, like new. They look like front/rear bumpers or whatever for the Rat. Lots of different bits of metal that should be useful too. In the lot was a pair of jack stands and one of those rolling seat things for working on stuff while sitting down. It needs the seat welded, but otherwise is like new. And, two of those aluminum rack things for hauling stuff on your receiver hitch. Those are aluminum angle. Hooah! A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 1f60d

MightyRaze and Rustbucket Garage like this post

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2021, 10:01 pm

Good news, the boss approved the air compressor so it is ordered.

Here is a bit of the loot from today. These running boards are interesting. The curved tubing in the bike rack above it is also good for something. More stuff...

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 293f1710

Here’s the little compressor. Should be a good one for what I need. Direct drive, 1700 RPM motor and cast iron REAL piston compressor.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Eca52010
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 12th 2021, 7:01 pm

Some progress. HOT out there. Plus the normal honey-do stuff, like grocery shopping. Sigh...

But, I did get the frame cut and propped up with an 18” extension. Now I will have to lay out the thing on the concrete slab with sidewalk chalk for some final decisions. I need to mount the transaxle and do some measuring, but it looks like I will be able to use a jack shaft that sticks up through the floor. The seat layout will allow it I think. That will let me lower the frame about 3” I think. Measuring and thinking. Hopefully the jackshaft will end up about where the original rear pulley was. (About 3 feet from the engine shaft) That will allow the original clutch geometry to work. Then a short belt and tensioner to the transaxle pulley.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 F78f7910

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 7486a210

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 9d195c10

This is the first time in a long time that we have had Nevada Blue sky. The smoke from California burning has obscured everything for weeks now.

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2021, 9:50 am

Glad the air is clearing up for you guys! I remember there was one day I had a mild headache on the day the smoke blew out here, they even had a warning for folks with asthma not to go outside. I imagine you guys must have had it real bad being right next to the whole ordeal.

MightyRaze and Nevadablue like this post

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2021, 4:49 pm

It was pretty ugly for a few days. Visibility is one thing, but not being able to breathe anything but campfire smoke isn’t fun. I pity those closer and those who lost their homes and property. Sigh...

So, today, at about 0800 BC (before Coffee!!!) I decided to get some stuff done before it got too hot. Best laid plans, right?
I got the axle donor frame somewhat degreased. It was a MESS, must have leaked oil for a long time before it finally blew up. One of these days, I’ll open that engine and see what let loose. It is a Kohler, so I have an idea what happened. Anyway...
Then I cut the front axle and frame off. I also cut out the area behind the axle so it will fit around the engine on the Rat. You will see pics in a minute. Then I also cut out the part of the frame where the steering sector and bearing mount, just in case it is needed on something. I’ll bolt the parts back on the plate and attach the assembly to the steering shaft.
THEN, I proceeded to do a mockup. A balancing act it is... the ‘dash’ is way too high, but the 4x4 was all I had handy at the time. I need to round up a bunch of clamps and stick things together with them for the rest of the ‘design phase’. The engine needs to be in the frame to check clearance for the console and steering gear.
Steering gear... the reason I picked this axle is that it has the drag link ON TOP. With the design I picked, I need to get that drag link out of the way. I am hoping to use a 1st Generation Craftsman steering box. I think I can mount it on the frame deck, and reconfigure it with the bell crank facing UP and on the right. It may be supported by the console on an extension of the shaft, or even go through the console and run the drag link OUTSIDE the console. Not unusual really.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 A695f610

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 6b450b10

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 2048a910

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2021, 4:55 pm

So, the tractor is quite handy for moving this junk stuff around. I can raise it or tip it as needed and don’t have to lift it manually.
Another view of the proposed front axle mounting position.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 36bc6810

The carnage:

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Ff049d10

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 3f68ff10
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2021, 5:01 pm

All that was over by about 10 AM. The dog and I take our daily ride in the RTV to get the mail and do her necessary stuff. Then we cruised by to check on an old riding mower. You guys know those things, right? They seem to pop up like mushrooms in the spring. I’ve been eyeing one for a few days, waiting for someone to be home. So, someone was there, we asked and were told “take it” and anything else you want. Seems the owner died and a relative is tasked with cleaning up. He is also a packrat but of different stuff. I ended up with another MTD (says Briggs and Stratton on the hood) with the shift on the fly mess under it. But it has a seemingly good 12.5 Briggs with a cast iron liner and other parts of course. AND, I got a ton of other stuff. An old chevy pickup hood with about 2 acres of good, flat sheet metal (rats need sheet metal), a generator, a walk behind weed beater, a horizontal shaft Briggs engine, a TOOL BOX, and a bunch of bits of metal. More sweat equity in the rat. So, by 11:30 we had another ton of stuff in the yard. What fun! (Thank goodness for tractors with fork lifts on both ends.

Don’t leave them unsupervised. They multiply like rabbits!

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 7f74b210

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Baa48210

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 444de710
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2021, 5:13 pm

And ‘the other stuff’:

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 B2177d10

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 F25ff610

I found this ‘can’ years ago. I think it is a canteen. But, I believe I can cut off the bottom, bang it back into shape and use it as a cover for the gas tank. Kinda cool.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 878add10
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2021, 5:16 pm

This is a better choice for the height of the console/dash assembly. The console is the engine mount from a snow blower. I think this one will be perfect.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 5efb1610

And after all that, I sat down to rest. Then UPS showed up with a much appreciated heavy box.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 21d9f210

I’m tired now. I plan to have a big margarita and watch Rat Rod Bob Builds videos on youtube. Look him up. Old coot, lots of fun.

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2021, 8:38 pm

Tiny progress before the RAIN came. OMG, rain! Wonderful.
So, I went out to run the compressor’s break in run, to seat the rings before loading it. While that was running (VERY quiet by the way), I found a bunch of clamps and locked down the console and front axle and straightened up the rear of the frame on the jig. The front wheels are on the axles, but I need to shorten the hubs before they will stay on. I think I am going to install the rear axle in the stock position and put on the big rear tires before I chop anything at the rear of the frame. I will need to tack everything together (wiring needs to be finished of course, for the welders) and put the thing on the ground. The hubs are due next week so maybe by then...

Better pics of the current status:

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Eca78510

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 C6841a10

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 3044be10

Tomorrow I want to take the dash panel and steering wheels off a couple of rigs and try them for fit.
Pics in the next post... the 3 pic limit you know.
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2021, 8:44 pm

Nevadablue wrote:

Actually there is a way to bypass that. Load up the three like normal, but once you imbed them in the post, click the remove all button in the Servimg window and it will clear the loading queue. Then you can add as many photos as you wish to your post as long as you use that 3 at a time method.

Also the mock up is looking really good! You've definitely got my attention  A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 2731072446

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2021, 8:46 pm

I want to use this steering wheel for now:

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 8f162710

And this simple dash. It has an aircraft type throttle handle, choke, light switch, meter and ignition switch. I’m hoping for a foot and hand throttle setup.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 4e491510

And I will be using part of this steering shaft to make the steering wheel end up at the proper angle.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 D9559010
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2021, 8:49 pm

Murraymountain wrote:
Nevadablue wrote:

Actually there is a way to bypass that. Load up the three like normal, but once you imbed them in the post, click the remove all button in the Servimg window and it will clear the loading queue. Then you can add as many photos as you wish to your post as long as you use that 3 at a time method.

Also the mock up is looking really good! You've definitely got my attention  A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 2731072446

Neat, thanks for the compliment and the tip. I am having FUN. Way back when... I was 30 something and my old friend (bought my land in the Ozarks from him, he was a sawyer/logger/farmer) who was 70 something like I am now, told me “I would rather wear out than rust out”. I’m working to avoid the rust! A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 1f601
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2021, 4:35 pm

I got a bit of my honey-do work done (a couple more posts added to the pergola on the back deck) so I earned some ‘sweat equity’ in the garage (field of rat dreams).
OMG, it is over a hunnert now. 94 with 30 mile winds tomorrow, but SEVENTY FOUR for the high on Wednesday. I may actually get something done I hope.

Yesterday I was doing some of those ‘scientific rat rod calculations’ that Rat Rod Bob talks about. I discovered that the bagger rack on one of the MTD rigs is exactly what I need for the frame splice on the rat. I need 3” angle (frame size) 18” long for each side. These bits are exactly the right thickness, 3” on one side and something over 4 the other way, 19” long. A bit of trim and we are home free. I like free.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 C1567f10

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 C203d310

Plus, the mounting brackets look like they will make professional looking reinforcements for the front axle mounting. I need professional looking stuff you know.

But wait, there’s more. The hubs for the big rear tires came today, from the gokart supply place. They are VERY well made, and include lug nuts. (Unfortunately, no key or set screw holes) I’ll drill them for set screws and order some keystock the right size. (Smaller than I have on hand) I did mount a wheel on a hub, and put the rear axle in the frame and the tire works! Thank goodness, about 2” clearance to the frame with the hub on the axle to allow the circlip to fit. (Just because) Pics later. I’m not going back out there now. Sahara like...

I haven’t seen anyone reinforce the factory axle mount things. I’m putting a gusset between the bolts, to give the thing more support. From frame to bracket.

And, I sat the tub and console on the concrete floor (so I could get the rear axle in, no lift here yet other than the tractor), and it appears that 48” from the firewall to the back end of the wheelbarrow tub will be perfect. An adult can sit in it with bent legs and grandson will fit OK and can grow into it. (I do have a seat adjustment bracket I can put in also) I think I can actually make a “Model T” tub, completely enclosed from firewall to behind the seat, using some of the other wheelbarrow for the compound curves and some creative metal work. I hope... Turns out that a Model T bucket is 49” long.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 2f060d10
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2021, 6:32 pm

Hunnert plus 5. I went out to put away some goodies from Amazon, including the outlet so I can plug in the MIG.
Took a few pics, including this one. The frame gap is a bit more than 18” now, but it will be 18 when welded together.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Ff9a2c10

I think the console at the highest point needs to be a few inches higher. That will put the steering wheel and dash panel at about the right height.

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 17th 2021, 6:36 pm

Too hot to do much outside, but I did manage to get the steering wheel that my grandson picked removed from the rig. I had to cut the steering shaft with my grinder, the spline was rusted in place. I’ll get it out in the shade of the shop.
Then, I set up a temporary work table in the garage and worked for a while. My neighbor gave me a couple of Dewalt drills and a saber saw a while back. 18 volt battery operated. I bought a couple of knock off batteries so I can use the drills as my ‘outside’ drills. But... it seems that Dewalt drills are infamous for their commutator/brush problems. BOTH of them smoked and sparked with the new batteries. I hoped that a good commutator overhaul would fix it. Thankfully, good old U-tube has lots of videos on the problem. The motors can’t be disassembled, but the brush holders come out easily. I polished the commutator, cleaned the segment gaps, cleaned up the brushes and all is well. A few seconds of running to re-seat the brushes and I think the hammer drill is a winner.
I gave it a ‘rat rod’ test by drilling out one of the half inch lug bolts that are stuck in the hub/wheels I want to use for the rat. Success. Drill performed like a new one. I’ll drill out the other with my plug in drill to save the battery rig for when it is needed.
Should be cooler tomorrow, so I plan do do some welder wiring. I think I found everything necessary to get at least my MIG going and maybe the TIG too.

Rustbucket Garage likes this post

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 17th 2021, 9:09 pm

Speaking of weather. OMG... I’ve lived in Nevada for 26 years and this is by far the worst smoke we have ever had. Visibility is about 1/4 mile now. Smells like a giant BBQ. Really sad situation over there in CA. 600,000 plus acres burned now.

The hurricane winds are slowing, but here is what it looks like out there now. Six o’clock and it is getting dark.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 B6583710
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2021, 9:45 am

I was out that way in 2018 but in Utah when all the fires were going that time.  We even came across some so close it was snowing ash on us. Sucks... I know. Gets all in your house too.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 08071810

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Sig214A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Sig314

Back to top Go down
Budget_gokart
Established Member
Budget_gokart
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2021, 12:45 pm

im thinking if you would have trimmed the side pannels and mounted the body between the wheels it would have looked more tbucket but i guess your going for tbucket pickup??

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2021, 4:22 pm

Yes, it will be a pickup. I needed to get the tub down as far as possible. Now that the seat is taking shape, I think I can lower the rear (raise the axle) and still get the jackshaft in place. I spent a couple of minutes studying that again today.
I have the wiring started for the welders. I need those before I can do too much more. The thing needs tacked together and sitting on the ground so I can figure out the drive train including the jack shaft.
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 19th 2021, 4:26 pm

Today the Politically Incorrect hood ornament for the Rat Rod came. My grandson’s name is Austin, we all worked or work at gold mines and AU is the symbol for gold. So, since Austin likes gold and we all love shooting... I present the perfect ornament for the top of the grill.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 9f5bc610

The black spots are reflections from the back of the iPad.

But wait, there’s more!

I got the wiring finished for the welders and checked them out. Both of them run! The machines haven’t run for probably at least 6 or 7 years. And, I haven’t welded since then... but I did strike an arc with the MIG and it seems fine. My automatic welding hoods are sitting in the sun now, hopefully they will take a charge and work. Otherwise I will have to open the things and see what sort of battery is in there. They do have solar cells but they must have a battery. The old fashioned GLASS lens hoods still work fine. LOL
Now to do some practice welds and get the hang of it all again.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next